Church Street, Athlone, Ireland
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

More about The Prince of Wales Hotel

Highly recommemnd !!! (Susan from Tipperary)

by TripAdvisor Member SusanTipperary

Myself and my husband spent a night in The prince and truly enjoyed our stay. Beautiful hotel all the comforts you would wish for, very friendly and helpful staff . Excellant service and the food was delicious. Hated leaving it cannot wait to return to this little piece of heaven in Athlone.

We'll be back!

by TripAdvisor Member Premier-Boy

Myself and my wife were meeting up with a few friends in Athlone for a night out and wanted to stay somewhere with a bit of luxury for a reasonable price and that's exactly what we got at the Prince of Wales. Top marks to whoever interviewed the receptionist as she was a delight and couldn't have helped us anymore. The bed was huge and the room itself was very spacious and clean, two of the most important things for any hotel room. We were late for breakfast the next day by about 10 minutes but this wasn't even raised as an issue by the friendly waitress that greeted us at the door, I must say it was one of the biggest breakfasts I've ever had in a hotel. So no complaints here and we'll definitely be back!

Hate to nit-pick, but

by TripAdvisor Member UncleBenny

Overall a nice hotel. Rooms good size, good value, good location and clean. About all we really look for .

Now for the nit picking. Had no soap dish in shower. Travelling companions room did. Submitted a maintenence form with the info so assume it will be taken care of.

Same day laundry service turned out not to be. Had to wait until the next morning for someone to go to laundry service and pick it up. They were prompt with it that AM and had it to us by 9:20AM. That was OK for us but if someone had had the occassion to leave early that morning it would not have been.

Limited parking could be a problem also. Long story short, when I enquired about overflow parking they told me where some public lots were but they had no arrangements with anyone. We got space in the limited lot but if you do not you are sort of on your own to do the best you can.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member DonegalGirly

Stayed here overnight in June. Great location and free parking with the hotel although it is very limited on space for parking.

Room was very clean and nice. Had no problems.
I was with a hen party so if you are expecting a quiet night you might not get it, there were 3 other hen partys staying at the hotel that night, and I did hear a few on my floor arrive back very late.

Other than that it is a great hotel.

Loved the hotel

by TripAdvisor Member aeronacorona

I have to say that the Prince has the best of both worlds, the hotel is extremely relaxed and quiet yet is in the centre of town. There are plenty of places and eat and drink and even two nightclubs in the vicinity but you would not know so as it was so quiet at night.
The rooms were lovely and spacious, one of the nicest bathrooms I have seen in a hotel!
Haven't been back yet but hope to return soon!

all work but enjoyed my stay

by TripAdvisor Member travellingScot67

Having been given a contract to fit out a unit in the new Athlone Town Centre shopping complex i expected the company booked accomodation to be to the usual standards..........was wrong as this hotel was extremely better. I spent a total of six weeks i.e 40 days at this hotel and found it wanting in no areas. The rooms were fantastic, cleaned and serviced promptly, with all the staff exceptional in their attentiveness and willingness to help in any way! The facilities were 1st class and i'll be back again even for leisure and pleasure. Overall one of the best Hotels i've stayed in whilst covering 40+ locations in Ireland. Keith Watt Site Manager from Portview Fit Out, Belfast

lovely hotel

by TripAdvisor Member rockysuki

thought this was a fabulous Hotel, the Staff were very friendly and helpful. we had a two month old baby with us, (a cot was supplied by the hotel) and even though there is a night club in the hotel, we didn't hear a thing.
breakfast and dinner were great and would highly recommend this hotel, be it for a family break or a weekend away with friends.
it's very well located in the town of Athlone and right beside the newly opened shopping centre - so great for carrying back all those shopping bags.
only complaint is the size of the lift - very small and a bit smelly (could do with some air freshner). that's not really worth staying away for though.
rooms were very spacious and security good.

lovely hotel

by TripAdvisor Member bubbles24

my boyfriend booked us in to this hotel for a surprise weekend away,the first wend in feb. it was a lovely hotel. prompt servive at check in and room was lovely too. i had lovely stay here. i have just one or two negative comments about hotel. we ordered breakfast in bed the first morning there. it was only ok. few things were missing though, there were no forks,knives or spoons for my tea and cereal,we rang down to reception to get sum sent up,but when they arrived they only had one fork,knife and spoon. we needed two of each of these. anyways we laughed at that,but when we sat down again,we realised that there was no cups for our tea and no milk for my cereal...it was a bit of a disaster to say the least and the breakfast didnt get eaten after that,but we laughed about it though even though it had been a bit of an incovenince. on our last morning there we said it was safer to have breakfast down in lobby,so we ordered our breakfasts. my boyfriends arrived straight away but they forgot about mine,and by the time we asked the waitress what the delay was and when i eventually got it,my boyfriend had finished his and my appetite had gone..
all in all i still think this was a lovely hotel and other than the breakfast mishap i couldnt fault it....the iron didnt really work in our room too but that wasnt a huge problem though.
i would stay here again!

Lovely weekend break in Athlone

by TripAdvisor Member joeh76

We chose this hotel mainly through reading the great reviews on tripadvisor so I decided to give them a call and see what was available. The receptionist that answered was really friendly and professional and offered us a great deal on a suite for valentines weekend. When we arrived we were greeted with a smile and checked in with minimum fuss. We were really happy with the room particularly the bathroom and seperate shower. The shower was especially nice as it was like a hydrotherapy shower with water coming out from all angles!! :-)!! The bed was really comortable too!! We asked for champagne and it was delivered with minimum fuss! Breakfast both mornings was delicious with a wide range of options available. We ate the first night in the adjoining Prince bar and the second night in the hotel restaurant which was included in the deal. The service both times was excellent and with a smile. The meal in the restaurant was especially good. My lamb was cooked to perfection and melted in my mouth, while my girlfriends fish dish was to an equally high standard. Afterwards we retired to the prince bar again as upstairs the cocktail bar was opened. We found this especially romantic as it was dark corners, leather upholstery and a great cocktail menu. I had a mojito which was expertly made and she had a long island ice tea which was prefectly potent!! We were too tired from walking all day by the Shannon to try the nightclub. It was no problem to book a table in the private section if you are a hotel guest. The following day checkout was completed with minimum fuss and they looked after our bags for us as we werent leaving Athlone till that evening.
I would defintely recommend the Prince of Wales hotel to anybody. Its great value and and great service, what more could you want!

fabulous hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member powerzone

stayed at this hotel for two nights b&b and 1 dinner.excellent rate and first class accomadation.from the moment we arrived all the staff were extremely helpful and friendly.the rooms are big,the beds are massiveand aircon for those of us who like to stay cool.lovrly bar and the bar food is very reasonably priced and tasty .situated right in the centre of town and adjacent to the new shopping centre......will definately return

Athlone CaslteAthlone Caslte