Athlone relief road, Athlone, County Westmeath, Ireland
Booking.com Priceline.com Expedia.com

More about Wineport Lodge

Pure 5* Luxury

by TripAdvisor Member QueenyKildare

We had the pleasure of staying in Wineport Lodge when attending a friends wedding. It was absolutley wonderful. From the minute you enter the Lodge you are enveloped into a different world of pure luxury and relaxation. For anyone trying to decide on a wedding venue I would most definately recommend Wineport. I just can't praise it enough. The design is just wonderful and the touches like the whiskey and chocolates left in the room...mmmm. We had a Lakeside suite and it was really beautiful. Its pricey but very very worth it. If you want pure relaxation in a very tranquil setting then its perfect.

It just gets better and better!!

by TripAdvisor Member kate9256

We started visiting Wineport Lodge about 7 years back. Every visit, be it for dining or staying over is always an amazing experience. Friendly staff, great food, stunning views and everyone looks after you so well you just dont want to leave. The personalised level of service is something you only achieve in a business where staff are content and are looked after. I was sorry to see that the reviewer Zelmo had such a negative experience. As mentioned above we have been visiting for a long time now and sure everyone knows a TV series was filmed but this little Irish gem has been going a lot longer than an RTE reality show. Long may Wineport continue to serve us great food and wonderful wines and long may their staff be with them. Well done, a great example of Irish hospitality.

Fantastic break

by TripAdvisor Member Kartris

This was our second visit to the Wineport Lodge and we were not disappointed. The room was fabulous, under floor heating in the bathroom, walk in wardrobe, very spacious bedroom/living area, complimentary champagne and a fantastic view. There is absolutley no need to leave this place once you arrive, it has everything including a wonderful restaurant. However if you are not a seafood lover you may find the menu a bit limited, but the food is beautiful. The staff are brilliant and make you feel like part of the family. The service was a little bit slow, but we were in no hurry anyway. It was such a relaxing few days, I didn't want to come home. The only critisism I would have is that on the morning of departure, we had no hot water, which I understand can happen anywhere but when I mentioned it to the receptionist on check out, just to inform her, not complain, she just said " oh yeah, we had problems with the water this morning" and didn't even bother to offer an apology. But that said everything else was just wonderful. I would highly recommend this hotel as a very special treat.

Trish & Karl

Great location, terrible service

by TripAdvisor Member KateLouiseH

My partner and I stayed in the Wineport in April 2007. We stayed in a suite which was wonderful and the location of the lodge on the lake is second to none. We also very much enjoyed our massages and having breakfast brought to our room both mornings.

There has been real attention to detail and thought put into the design and themes in the hotel and certain aspects of operations, but we were extremely disappointed with the service in the restaurant. We ate there on both nights, although after our experiences on Friday night, we tried to book into the Glasson Village restaurant but this was full, so we had to eat in the hotel restaurant again on the Saturday night.

Although the food was excellent with small portions, I found the staff to be extremely inexperienced with a distinct lack of training in table etiquette. We felt that there was an extreme disjoin between the exceptional effort put into the look and feel of the hotel, not to mention the wonderful food, to have this marred by extremely disappointing service in the restaurant. Some of the issues we encountered were:

* Staff's lack of knowledge on the wines and general drinks available
* Staff were unprepared when asked what certain terms on the food menu meant
* We would have expected at least one member of staff to have extensive knowledge on wines available, rather than just options on the menu
* There were no cutlery changes for our main course so we ended up eating our main course with starter cutlery
* There was no fish knives provided on either night for fish courses
* Unused glasses were not removed when it was clear what type of wine we were drinking
* One of our main courses was clattered down in front of us by an extremely rude waiter who didn't even check that the rectangular plate was correctly positioned
* Our large glasses were filled up to the top with wine, meaning we both had nearly half a bottle of wine in our glasses
* Waitress put second jug of water on our table without looking to see if we had one already, which we had

For a place that prides itself on an exhaustive range of drinks, we were also disappointed in the limited aperitifs and other drinks, e.g. no sherries or ice wine, in stock (except winter's tale).

Having stayed in the Hotel du Vin in Bristol, I had hoped that the Wineport would in some way become an "Irish Hotel du Vin" with the addition of being located in a most beautiful area, but now I feel I would prefer to spend my money on flights to Bristol and stay with them instead.

I wrote to the hotel and they apologised profusely for the service levels we experienced and they said they would use our information to improve their service. I won't be going back to find out though!

I have never known quietness like it!

by TripAdvisor Member yaines

We went to the Wineport for a mid-week break and it was absolutely amazing. Its not hard to find, once you make your way to Glassan. We booked ourselves into a basic double room and it was definitely the fanciest double room I've ever stayed in! There was a complimentary half bottle of wine in the room when we arrived, which was gratefully recieved! There's an expensive mini-bar (but what mini bar isn't expensive) and all the tea making facilities you need. Suprisingly, they only supplied sparkling water which was a pain but not worth getting worked up over. The bed was HUGE - at least kingsized and it is facing the patio doors. All the rooms are west facing which means you can sit on your balcony and watch the sun go down over the lake. The bathroom has a big bath and a separate powerful shower. Also, there are bathrobes supplied which were v comfy!

Also, we tried some of the spa treatments. I had a full body massage and facial (which included a head massage), both of which were amazing. My boyfriend had the vital leg relieving treatment which he enjoyed.

The thing that got me the most was how quiet it was... You could hear a pin drop! In the mornings, a flock of ducks gathered outside our balcony which was really cute. The room service fee is included in the price of the room so we had breakfast in bed each morning, which was heavenly. We ate in the restaurant each night. The menus are pricey enough but the food more than makes up for it. I would throughly recommend the beef... It melts in your mouth! Although the meals look small, we were stuffed after it all. We had some lovely wine as well throughout our stay.

I would completely recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a romantic getaway. It may not be cheap but it is worth every penny!

Excellent Hotel - Very Romantic

by TripAdvisor Member IrsihNomad

Stayed in the Bolinger Suite in this hotel for valentines day this year and it was an experience to remember.
The view from the room is amazing and the staff bent over backwards for us. We ate had a drink in the tatinger room prior to dinner which was really cosy. Big open fire (bear in mind it was winter) and a few glasses of bubbly. The food was excellent and I found the portions to be quite large. We then retreated to our room to get changed for a quick dip in the roof top hot tub. The only blip was that the water was not warm enough in the winter to stay in it more than five minutes.
I have stayed in allot of hotels in Ireland and this one is really different. True the bathrooms in the suites wouldn't be on pair with somewhere like the G in Galway or the food might not be Patrick Guilbaud standard but the location and staff make it for me.
I don't have any photo but my girlfriend is bringing me here again next week so I'll try and post some and any other observations

Fab rooms, lovely restaurant

by TripAdvisor Member Giltmirrors

Stayed here for a wedding, we stayed in the Alsace room and were blown away by it, lovely bathroom with standalone bath and massaive shower, big walk in wardrobe, really really comfy bed - but the best thing was the music system piped throughout the room and the bathroom - great selection of music
there was even a complimentary decanter of whiskey in the room. We loved it, and to be honest didn't expect it to be so nice, The honeymoon suite was fab too - on 2 levels, with the bed on a mezzanine floor, I recommend this place for anyone wanting to treat themselves.

Oh the Joy of Finding this little piece of heaven

by TripAdvisor Member naidy

This was the last night of our road trip and what a find, we had stumbled across this place before and they were fully booked so we were delighted to get the last room for Thurs 23rd.
What can I say... the setting is perfect. All you can hear is the water gently lapping agaist the boats docked outside your personal balcony. The view is amazing....both outside the room and in the room...
We stayed in the Bordeaux room which is very spacious with high ceilings and recessed lights. The bed is a big full sized fluffy pillowed, crisp sheeted dream! The coffee they supply in the room is REAL ground coffee and you get your own mini Cafetiere to brew it in and the fresh milk is in the mini bar. which i might add is nicely stocked.
We had a camp bed in our room for our daughter and we still had plenty of room to walk about.
My partner spent most of the time playing with the in room SONOS music system and there were gadgets galore to explore for my daughter. The one she liked best was the automatic light on in the walk in dressing room.
The bathroom is fantastic.... BIG deep bath, very large shower and the toiletries are L'Occtaine- a nice surprise.
We didn't get to eat in the hotel but went into the town near by (Glasson) and had lovely food in the pub on the right as your coming into town (can't remember the name of it)
I could go on but i'm sure your bored by now.... just go here, you will love it!

Spa Retreat

by TripAdvisor Member panterarule

This hotel was booked and paid for by my inlaws for a wedding last summer. I have never quite come accross a more luxurious hotel in my life! I could not afford to stay there myself, but this was a treat, and boy, was it amazing.

The room was huge, with a slanted roof, the view of the lake, upon which the hotel was perched. There was construction going on- for another wing of the hotel, and though this didnt disturb us in the slighted, the hotel left out a small crystal bottle of whiskey and a small box of handmade luxurt chocolates for us as an apology!
The bed was humongous and there must have been about 8 fluffy feather pillows!

The bathroom was amazing, underfloor heating, a walk-in 4 man shower,
a bath that would easily fit 2 people comfortably, and all in really modern but expensive design.

We ordered room service the next day, - a club sandwich- but this was no ordinary club sandwich! it was so tasty, and the complimentary
fries were the best i've ever tasted!

The hotel offered indulgences in the Spa, or in the comfort of your own room- including special aromatic baths and massage- it had everything!

The hotel is also only a 20 minute drive from Athlone, a big town with great shopping, cinema, dining and nightlife.

If you are seriously contemplating staying here, do, you will regret it if you dont!

Lovely bedrooms, but eat out!

by TripAdvisor Member LAUNDRYCOTTAGES

Amazing bedrooms - the hotel has got the comfort factor spot on and the Spa was top notch too. Breakfast in bed was superb and the staff, with the exception mentioned below, were attentive and helpful. 5* on the accommodation front.

The restaurant is another matter. It is not an overly welcoming space, unlike the bedrooms, and all the guests were huddled in to one end of the room for some reason. The food was very disappointing - over pretentious nouvelle cuisine where more care seems to have been taken in creatively presenting the midget portions than to the taste and content of the meals - plus an overly important and busy manageress did little to encourage a calm enjoyable atmosphere.

Stay here for the rooms, eat elsewhere

Athlone CastleAthlone Castle