Bunclody, Enniscorthy, Wexford, County Wexford, Ireland

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Carlton Millrace Hotel

nice hotel but

by TripAdvisor Member dubfish

my family and i just returned after three nights in the millrace hotel. on arival the hotel looks very modern and new so far so good. our room was on the first floor over the bar area and lived up to its 4 star rating. shortly after checking in we had lunch in the bistro beside the bar the food was very good if not excellent. there is a kids club every day during kids school holidays and we found it to be very good it starts at 4pm till 8pm then for 5euro per child they have a movie from 8pm till 9.30pm. so thats 5 and a half hours for parents to relax use the excellent gym and pool and most of all the kids loved it. my two major complants about this hotel is the noise levels in our room from about 1am you hear music so loud you can make out what each song is. we complained the next morning at reception and they said it must a guest with a loud radio on to help them sleep!!. it was not till our last night that we found out were the music was coming from the night porter plays music in the bar so loud it can be heard in the reception area where he is to pass his graveyard shift.in the meantime guests sleeping over the bar area get an earfull all night long.i complained to him he said sorry il turn it off but my wife told me it came back on and off through out the night. my other problem was breakfast ' nightmare it served til 10.30am during the week so 99% of people are here on holiday so every body coming down between 10-10.30 so for first two mornings we were sitting miles away from where the selfservice is so your back and fort . the staff bring your tea and toast to you but it arrived ten minnutes after we got our breakfast each of the two mornings.our last morning we decided to have breakfast in bed not bad apart from tea and toast was cold.so to some up this hotel food in bistro and lady lucys rooftop restaurant was very good kids club excellent. avoid all costs a room over the bar area if you like a good nights sleep and be down early for breakfast. overall the kids made lots of new friends and that made up for all this hotels little problems.

Very nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jasonoc

This is a very nice hotel, the rooms are very comfortable and large. The staff are extremely friendly and courteous, overall it is well worth its 4 star rating. If you would like a nice break away then I would recommend this hotel. The downsides are the restaurant Lady Lucys is a little overrated don't get me wrong it is nice and I may have ordered the wrong type of food but it was very average. Also the service wasn't great here there doesn't seem to be enough staff. However we did also eat in the bistro and this was excellent! The leisure centre also is a bit run down and not of the quality that you would expect from this hotel.

Ditto Nice hotel but

by TripAdvisor Member DesG

Went to this hotel for a weekend getaway with my wife. 2 nights B&B and 1 Dinner. Staff at reception where excellent and check-in was speedy. Went up to room and it was large enough. A couple of minus points, the rooms are too warm and do not react to turning down the heating, not enough towels in the bathroom with 2 adults we only had 1 bath towel and 2 smaller towels, the ceilin in the bathroom ahd a big crack in it and the toilet seat had chips coming off the coating. These are things that should not happen in a 4 star hotel, they need to do some maintenance. The sound proofing needs a lot to be desired we could hear the music from the bar in our room and from other rooms near by. Had dinner in the Lady Lucy nothing too spectacular about this either as we where on a special package (approx 400 euro for the weekend) we where told that there was a special menu for this but we could choose from the A La Carte menu but starters where 5 euro and main courses where 10 euro extra this is not on as far as I am concerned. Also what is the policy on children in the restaurant there where toddlers running around the restaurant at 9 o'clock at night, they supposedly are not allowed in the bar after 9 the same should go for the restaurant (mind you the parents did'nt care anyway).
Other than these issues I had a wonderful time but would think twice about going back.

If you have a family, don't bother

by TripAdvisor Member colml

Stayed in one of the so called luxury apartment suites and was extremely disappointed. We would have been more comfortable in a caravan. The decor would have been poor even by a two star hotel's standards. The reception staff were frosty when we gave our feedback so we decided to cut short our stay after one night (we had booked 3 nights). Went to the FerryCarrig in Wexford who were happy to take our booking and offer true four class service and accomodation. The Millrace's 4 star status won't last long unless they clean up their act and their hotel.

Bit disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member emerland

I stayed in the Millrace for a weekend and didnt find it great for a 4 star hotel.The room was nice and roomy but the carpet was very stained.There was just a shower curtain which i think let the place down.The soundproofing was dreadful.You could hear the music for the function downstairs very loudly.The food was quite nice but they seemed understaffed and we had to wait for quite a few things.The toast was always cold and tea slow in coming.However the staff in the main were very friendly and we enjoyed our stay on the whole.

Good but not Great!

by TripAdvisor Member motorcycleboy

Just back from a three night stay in The Millrace Hotel. Enjoyed our stay but no way is this hotel deserving of four star status. Staff were excellent but hotel is just a little too shabby to live up to 4 stars. On the plus side breakfast is served until 12 which allows a lie in. The gym is excellent with all machines in good order. The pool is more than adequate if a little on the small side. The hotel rooms are too hot. I woke up each night sweating and dehydrated! Also there were noisy kids still in the bar at 11.30. I know it can be hard to ask parents to leave the bar area but it does ruin the enjoyment for other guests who are down for a quiet and relaxing break. I'm afraid I can't recommend the Lady Lucy restaurant. We were waiting 45 mins for someone to take our order and the food was very, very ordinary with pretensions at fine dining which it clearly isn't . Maybe it was an off night when we went but I doubt it. The two young waiting staff worked extremely hard to serve everyone but clearly lacked management backing.

Bring Ear plugs

by TripAdvisor Member Shankill_Mike

Firstly - excellent staff on reception that the Carlton should be proud of - now for the problems!

Having asked for a quiet room (wedding anniversary), we had just gone into the room to discover a baby in the room next door with a father soothing it to sleep. It sounded as if they were sitting on the bed beside us it was that loud.

Having asked if we could be moved, we were - without hesitation by the front desk staff. This seemed to be ok, until later that night, when the sound of the man next door urinating in the toilet could be heard - again as if he was in our room. Had it been a single visit to the toilet it would not have been too bad - but sadly, it appears that copious amounts of liquid had been imbibed, so 4 visits that night were made. Coupled with the lack of sound insulation from the corridor, and the noise of a guest hiccuping all the way to their room, we got not a minute of sleep all night.

In the morning we asked for the manager, and said we would have to settle up and leave if he could not find us a quiet room (I wasn't expecting an isolation tank!). He sheepishly agreed to do his best, and without visiting the room to see what we were talking about, he had reception call with details of a new option - an apartment across from the main hotel.

We agreed to inspect it before moving, and we did this accompanied by the Accommodation Manager. The first thing I did was to check the walls in the main bedroom, only to find they suffered from the same lack of sound-proofing. I questioned this and was told that on the other side was the living room of the apartment next door - something I argued and a later visual inspection outside confirmed this to be a little lie on behalf of the manager.

However, time was ticking on, and before we were celebrating our next anniversary, we agreed to stay as we only had one more night to escape the kids at home, and half the day was already gone. When we returned the keys to the 2nd room, we were told by the nice receptionist that Manager, who never had the decency to ask how it went, had offered us a spa treatment as amends for the trouble we were suffering. We accepted, and she made arrangements on our behalf for the next morning.

All three rooms had bad stains on the carpet, and the bathroom in bedroom 2 had mould which show a lack of good cleaning.

That night we had dinner in the Lady Lucy restaurant, very nice end to the day I might add, and retiring to bed for the first sleep in 36 hours, we found it quiet enough to deal with.

We were told that the hotel was aware of issues in the main hotel rooms, and that they were planning work for January 2008 to rectify it.

Would we return - not unless we had left something valuable and had to collect it. 4 stars is a serious stretch of the imagination.

nowhere near a 4*

by TripAdvisor Member Skinner71

Spent a weekend here recently and its a mixed bag

Check in and reception was good, staff were polite and helpful and nice decor - so far so good,

Got to our room and was really disappointed - Carpet was badly stained and we also found a small cigarette hole in the duvet cover, Decor was really bland and basically uninviting and the sound on the TV was dodgy.

Rooms were like an oven and the heating dial didn't work as far as we could make out so that made for an uncomfortable nights sleep - Also the noise levels were ridiculous - you could here the band (well 2 men and a drum machine!) playing in the bar and I could even hear the guest next door snoring! quite ridiculous for a modern hotel.

Bar area was really nice and the staff efficient and friendly, ditto for the restaurant and I have to say i had one of the nicest meals I've had in a long time there so kudos to the chef! didn't use the leisure facilties so can't comment.

overall, I wouldn;t fault the staff, the bar or the restaurant - the only problems this hotel has is with the standard of the rooms - which for a hotel is pretty vital I would have thought - wouldn't recommend to my friends, much nicer hotel rooms out there in this part of the world

Well Surprised (Sheila & Oliver)

by TripAdvisor Member RosHopper

We got a voucher for 2 nights B&B and 1 Dinner. Having read trip advisor briefly I was a bit apprehensive to be honest (Especially after our trip to the Clare Inn which the site was 100% accurate about) but have to say we really enjoyed our stay. Staff were very polite, friendly and very helpful and they did the small things well which you dont find in a lot of hotels these days. The food was top notch, fantastic to be honest and there are great view from the roof level restaurant. Some of the other viewers faulted the decor but did nt really notice it to be honest...much the same as you would find in other hotels. Only issue that we had was that the bed was a bit soft...my wife is pregnant at the moment so that was a bit of an issue for her...the bar could have done with a slight bit more heat on the Thursday night of our stay (Friday night was grand). On Friday night, they also had a band playing a mix of middle of the road/some wedding type stuff and a good bit of irish.....which we are into and it was brilliant...you would think that it might not be everybodies cup of tea but the small dance floor was packed...Budnclody is a bit off the beaten track which we liked ...not full of Tescos/Foreign multiplies etc so its a bit different in that regard and all the better for it (Imagine that an Irish town with Irish Shops!!). It had does nt have a massive range of shops but it has one fantastic bakery on the main street. Its close enoght to Enniscorthy and Gorey if you want to go somewhere else. Would nt spend a full week in the town but its really nice for a short break....On balance really enjoyed our stay in the place and would recommend it to a friend.

Good Experience

by TripAdvisor Member shahug

This hotel is lovely it is situated just on the outside of Bunclody of which is a lovely quaint village and at christmas when all lit up was beautiful....the staff in the hotel were excellent couldnt do enough for you and the fact that breakfast was served until 12 at weekends was a dream only downside no beans everyone knows you need beans with a full irish!! Me and my boyfriend both had massage in the spa it was divine would really recommend but the swimming pool was alittle on the small side but had steam room and sauna and jacuzzi so that made up for it all in all a good experience and would recommend the hotel to anyone another tip if you dont want to eat in the hotel restaurant all the time there is a wine bar and bistro next door which is out of this world best food I have tasted in long time....

Comments