Ballymoney, Gorey, Ireland
Seafield Golf & Spa Hotel
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Seafield Hotel

Nice looking hotel but atrocious service.

by TripAdvisor Member Diarmaid

We stayed in the Seafield Hotel for one night in December. The hotel itself from the outside and inside is very impressive. The decor and ambience are worthy of a 4 star hotel. The room was excellent and modern. The staff at reception were welcoming and professional. The decor is the high point as is the spa area. We went down in the evening when there are no children allowed and the main pool was fantastic. Unfortunately, there are numerous negative points - firstly, the taps in the bathroom leaked. Reading other reviews, it seems that whoever did the plumbing at the hotel should be hauled back in to re-do the job. The temperature in the outside pool was also quite cool. The real low, however had to do with the service at dinner and in the bar. To say it was Fawlty Towers like would be an understatement. Firstly, at the bar, where I sat down, it took an age to get served. The bar itself was covered in half empty and empty bottles and glasses. We actually had a running bet on how long it would take the bar staff to clean away the empties and wipe the bar as it wasn’t even overly busy. It took about half an hour. The bar staff were also arguing amongst themselves in front of me. Not good for any hotel. The level of service deteriorated upon arriving at the restaurant. We had a reservation for 9pm. We waited for a good 4 to 5 minutes at the reception area at the restaurant to be seated but to no avail despite several of the service staff saying hello. It seemed like nobody wanted to take charge. The restaurant wasn’t even full so there was no excuse and we had a reservation. As a result I went to the main hotel reception to complain. Eventually we were seated at 9.15 and two complimentary glasses of Cava arrived later during the evening, which was a nice touch. Things however got worse over dinner. There was a mistake with my order and the steak I had ordered for just under 40 euros was a disgrace. How the head chef can send out (cold) food at that price and at that "quality" is beyond me. Again as nobody was serving I had to call a waiter and demand to speak to the manager. At about 10.30 I eventually was served an edible piece of meat, although my partner had long since finished her meal. Shambles! The food and restaurant manager insisted that the meal would be complimentary, which was the least he could have done. In addition, the wine list leaves a lot to be desired. Also on that note, at no stage did a waiter re-fill our glasses despite paying 5 star restaurant prices. Shambles again!
So in summary, the hotel is lovely looking visually. The rooms are modern. The spa is good and the main pool is excellent at nightime. The negatives however are numerous
- the service in the bar and restaurant was atrocious;
- the bar area was unclean;
- the food is ridiculously over priced and is typical of many hotels in Ireland. These hotels know that their guests are a captive audience (Gorey is a good distance away) and overcharge for mundane food. The food and service at Seafield is worthy of a 2 star hotel but at 5 star prices.
The sad thing is that Seafield have a terrific product especially given its location and decor. The service and prices however are way off the mark.

Impressive... But needs tweaking

by TripAdvisor Member byrongirl

Stayed in The Seafield Hotel & Spa for 2 nights in December including New Years Eve, where we attended the hotels Gala Ball. The group I was with had stayed there before in the houses, which are located behind the hotel. This time we were all located within the hotel. We had a bite to eat in the bar - very good, slow service but the staff were very busy (more about that later) My room was on the second floor. Note to all hotel designers, please do not scrimp on lifts. It is the difference between calm & patient residents and agitated & hassled residents. The beautiful Spa is located on the basement floor and all day long you have residents using the lift to access this. I don't mind sharing a lift with people who are in dressing gowns on their way for a treatment or a swim but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it myself. Also note to guests with children, pool is located in Spa area and is not available to under 18's after 10.30am - making this a very tranquil and peaceful area but could be an issue if you have a family with you. Treatments were carried out in the spa area and we were all delighted with them. Worth booking them before you go but thats the same for any hotel with a decent Spa these days. My room on arrival stank of cigar smoke - prohibited in this hotel - but I blame the cleaning staff for not airing room or attempting to cover it up. Reception apologised and I was happy to spray a bit of air freshener around. Bed was gorgeous. TV was flatscreen with lots of channels. Water and Tea/Coffee supplied but no mini bar which lets the room and the hotel down. Bathroom is amazing, worth the trip alone. Other hotels should take notice - this is the way to do it. The corridor from the lift to the room is quite dark - I'm 27 and even I was a bit surprised at it! Very modern I agree but a little trip would send you flying so watch out for those trays!
The hotel had a Gala ball for approx 260 people and a wedding of 90 in the smaller function room on New Years Eve. Felt sorry for the bride and groom that the hotel was over run with new years revellers and felt sorry for the new years revellers (us) that the wedding was taking place in such close proximity. Yes we were served at different times but it meant that the staff were run ragged and space was limited. Before the ball, the guests from the wedding and the residents from the hotel had a fashion show in the ladies bathrooms, just off reception. We all commented on the lack of space as we were all mixed together! The staff should be commended on their patience. I was served by same gentleman everyday at every meal. I was tired just looking at him. I saw no manager the whole time I was there. The staff were relying on this one lift in reception to transport glasses and water jugs on New Years Eve afternoon to the larger of the function rooms, while (1) the wedding party arrived, (2) people were checking in, (3) residents were moving around the hotel and (4) residents were trying to get to the Spa. It was bedlam. I saw the co-ordinator working her socks off for the gala - I hope she took the next day off because she deserved it. Food at the hotel was good, not excellent, but I find at New Years everywhere can be like that. The main restaurant is stylish, the bar is very trendy but the problem is space - there just isn't enough of it.

Teething Problems at the Spa

by TripAdvisor Member PippyDublin

The hotel, rooms and service excellent but the spa (which was the main reason to stay) was unorganised, unprofessional, disappointing. The spa itself is beautiful with the decor giving the ambiance of relaxation its a pity the staff don't give the same message. Rooting through cupboards while i'm having a facial is not my idea of relaxtion. Having my pedicure in an open area with people walking in and out is not relaxing either. however, When we made our comments to the staff they took them with grace and told us their manager had left the previous day, they were only open 5 months and were gaining experience by the day.

Dublin.

Looked nice, but didn't deliver

by TripAdvisor Member ri_ra_2004

Stayed here and was very impressed with how the hotel looked. But it didn't deliver. Lots of basic problems. Went to have my shower and there was no hot water in the hotel (they claimed that the hot water was ok the problem was that so many people had showers at the same time). I have not come across that problem before. Then eventually when the hot water heated up, it was too hot. I had it at the coldest setting and it was really hot. It would have been too hot for a child,
so that is very dangerous. And phone calls to the reception displayed a very poor service - they said that they would ring back (twice) and didn't. Food was ok, nothing special. Overall, I would not recommend staying here as the service is not up to scratch.

Relaxing and peaceful

by TripAdvisor Member Allie17

This place is beautiful and relaxing. The design of the main hotel is amazing, with incredibly high ceailings, and black and white decor throughout. This gives it a peaceful and spacous feel.

We booked one of the 2 bedroom cottages, which was much cheaper than a hotel room, but much larger! We had 2 bedrooms, one ensuite, a main bathroom and large living area/ kitchen. the hotel is less than a year old, so its all very'new' and clean, which was great. I hope they manage to maintain it. It was about 50m walk to the main hotel. the only thing was the heating did not work in the main ensuite room, so we used the other room, which was very spacious, so we did not mind. And there was no manual to explain how to use anything, like the heating, hot water or phones - we pointed this out on departure so i hope they take it on board.

the spa area was beautiful, the moment we walked into the reception area a sense of calm over comes you. Again, dark decor and lighting makes it so peaceful, the pool is beatifully lit. we immediatley relaxed.

The restaraunt is also very good, and the food was of high quality, but we did think it was completely over priced.

Gorey, the nearset village was a great surprise, we did loads of shopping in the small local shops, and got some great deals!

Overall, we will definatley be going back!

Very relaxing - lovely!

by TripAdvisor Member Yblodyntatws

I was very pleasantly impressed with this hotel.
As others have said in their reviews - this hotel has stunning interior decor - mainly black - in the public areas, and also in the spa area which is completely stunning and incredibly relaxing. The only downside of the spa area is that the floors become incredibly slippery - even though they're mopping up regularly. If you like your saunas hot then you'll love the saunarium - I think I managed a maximum of four minutes before refreshing myself in the Monsoon shower! Having thoroughly enjoyed myself in the outside hot pool I promptly fell asleep on their warmed tiled recliners. I apologise to all present if I started to snore! Shower area in the spa have The White Company products which I love.
In contrast to the monochrome public areas the bedrooms are white/cream with flashes of red - and are light and bright. I had booked a single room but the bed was definitely king size and incredibly comfortable. The bedroom was slightly too warm for my liking and it's difficult to cool them down at night unless you're happy to have the patio window ajar. Bathroom had a hugely deep bath, with nice products, and it was all spotlessly clean. In contrast to other reviews there was plenty of hot water.
I also really appreciated the free wireless connections in the public area and the broadband in the bedroom.
Breakfast was OK with a good selection of items (self serve buffet on the days when there were a number of guests - and cooked to order on the Monday when I gather guest numbers were low). I personally did not have any problems with service and was promptly attended to every morning for tea/coffee etc.
I can't comment on the evening dining or menus as I was eating out with friends in the area - but the bar service was friendly and prompt. Afternoon tea on Sunday was very nice but a bit disorganised.

Flash but not up to scratch

by TripAdvisor Member DubWoman28

Myself and my boyfriend stayed in one of the apartments on the hotel complex.

The hotel itself is very modern and has a distinct designer feel to it. The decor is unusual and a pleasant change from the norm. The SPA area/ pool area is lovely and the gym is small but has enough machines etc to have a basic workout. The food was fantastic - the menu selection was great, varied and with lots of choice and it was very tasty. The portions were a great size and I felt like there was good value for money with the food. I would definitely go to eat there again.

The problems are with the cleanliness of the bar areas. Everytime we were in the bar and out on the veranda - there was dirty glasses EVERYWHERE. Guests were cleaning their own tables as staff just passed by. It really was filthy. The veranda area is consumed with smokers and the ash trays remain overflowing with cigarette butts. It really was disgusting.

I think that once the staff get trained to open their eyes to the dirt and do something about it (like not walk past!) then this hotel will be great.

Very good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member dmbdub

We got a great offer for 3BB2D for €299 so decided to stay Friday to Monday over a weekend in May. The hotel was easy to find and only about an hour from Dublin. Check in was swift and our bags were taken up to the room for us.

We had a room on the third floor facing the sea. All the rooms on the third floor have balconies. They are not divided between the rooms so you can walk from one end to the other. The room was small, surprisingly so, but nicely decorated. The bathroom was quite nice but the extraction fan wasn't strong enough so lots of steam. The large mirror in the bathroom is heated on a timer that can't be turned off the bathroom ended up like a sauna at times. The shower wsa excellent and the bath quite deep. Someone with mobility problems would find it difficult to get in and out of it as it wide and deep. The room was also very warm and there is no a/c; very disappointing. We told reception at one stage that the room was sweltering and they sent the housekeeping supervisor up to us. She was very nice but said there wasn't much she could do as the heaters were on timers and couldn't be turned off. We weren't comfortable leaving the patio door open at night because any one else on the floor would have had access to our room so had to sweat it out. Also there was a wedding on and they were just below our room and very loud. The hotel is aware of the heating problems but I'm not sure what they are doing.

Dinner was suberb, far exceeded my expectations. Breakfast was good; a buffet at the weekend and table service during the week with a cold buffet also. Service in the bar was very poor. We cam in at about 4pm on Friday and there were about 5 tables free, all dirty. We sat at one and the staff proceeded the clean the others before ours. We waited ages to be served and then my friends food was brought out about 15 mins before mine!! We had to ask to have the table wiped down also, they had just cleared the stuff from it, not cleaned it.

The spa is excellent. Lovely design, staff are good. The hydrotherapy suite is excellent also. I would stay here again but only if I got a similar deal to the one above.

Service & Food Appalling in Otherwise Decent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Volvo47

The service in the hotel was truly appaling. Depressing to see so much money invested in the hotel build and yet a clear unwillingness to invest in a quality management team.

In parts, the quality of service defied belief.

Fawlty Towers might have looked good by comparison.

On the plus side the spa infrastructure is lovely.

Quality of the facial was fair to medium.

Best chill out weekend

by TripAdvisor Member IrsihNomad

I use this site to vet and books hotels by browsing the reviews so I thought I better give a bit back. I stayed in Seafield over the weekend and twice last year. Both times the services and hotel were excellent.
Last weekend we arrived early due to an early flight into Dublin, although we were hours before the check in time we were happily shown to our room, although I had rang ahead to inform them of our early arrival.
The room was a sea facing room with communal balcony. We were the olny people I saw using this. The view is beautiful. One side you have tara hill and the other the sea.
I got a shoulder and back massage which was very good and Carolyn received a chocolate manicure and pettticure (probably spelt wrong). We then just chilled out in the pool and other facilities.
The evening meal was to die for, Carolyns salmon and mash won the day.
In both stays we have had a fabulous little break and its so handy being only over an hour from the airport. Also my family had a holiday home in the locality for year and I would recommend going for a walk up tart hill, down clone strand and kilmichael point is worth a visit.

Comments