Rosslare, Ireland
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Kellys' Resort Hotel & Spa

Average Hotel, but Great Spa and superb service

by TripAdvisor Member Daithiod

Kellys Hotel which is very much a child-friendly hotel is excellent in some respects and just average in other respects. As I do with all my reviews I will break it down into 2 sections, the "Excellent" and "The Average"

-super customer service, no problem too small for the friendly staff
-superb sea-spa, which is a must-see for all guests
-great facilities,snooker ,tennis,tv room and guest tv's have Sky etc
-the daily 4pm "tea,coffee and cakes" is superb,very tasty indeed

-I was a little disappointed in the quality of the Dinner (steak with fat one night)
-Rooms are dated, but not overly so, and wouldnt deter me from returning

1001 indians can't be wrong

by TripAdvisor Member nothingbutthebest

While cheking out, an elderly gentleman commented that this was his 75th consecutive year to visit Kelly's on the same week. This sums up everything that is good about the hotel. Visitors in their 70's (and 80's and 90's) started going to Kellys as children, then they brought their own children, and now they go with their grandchildren. So the hotel must be doing something right!

The ethos of the hotel is simple. Customers come first, second and third in their list of priorities. Regular guests find the same staff dealing with them year after year, and they are greeted like long lost friends. The hotel is distinctly family centred, so expect to find children of all ages. Activities are arranged to suit children, teenagers and adults, and although some guests don't take part, those who do certainly enjoy the cameraderie and the "craic".

Kelly's food has a great reputation, though to be fair it is probably no better than other 4* hotels. However, it tends to be rich, and expect the waistline to suffer as the week goes on.

Staff are legendary, and nothing is too much trouble. The owner, Bill Kelly, is always on hand, and does not think it below himself to clear tables or to bring coffee or tea to guests.

It is not for nothing that guests book their week the following year when they are checking out.

Beware of Kellys ! Once you start going, your children will not accept less, and you will find yourself being sucked into the Kelly's extended family.

A great spot !

This is the life!!

by TripAdvisor Member Datk

Kellys seems a perfect spot, there is so much to do with swimming pools, crazy golf, tennis courts, the beach on the doorstep yet you can easily do absolutely nothing.

The latter was the theme for our weekend break, we arriving on Friday just in time for afternoon tea. Had a look around the hotel, walked down to the beach and then retreated to a nice little gazebo overlooking the beach and chatted until it was time for dinner. Saturday morning was spent in the Sea Spa - pure bliss is the best way to describe this. The rest of the day was spent dining or lounging around watching the world go by.

There are some minor areas of the hotel that could do with freshening up but they are very minor. We got a room overlooking the beach which was great, the power shower was fantastic - I want one!!

Your whole weekend could revolve around the wonderful food served at Kellys. For breakfast and lunch you can choose between a sit down meal in the main restaurant or a buffet affair in the Ivy Room. Dinner is in the main restaurant with great artwork on the walls.

There's loads for kids to do, which is great even though we didn't have kids with us - it meant there weren't loads of squabbling kids around. The hotel was full while we were there yet we never felt the place was crowded.

The staff are excellent - we didn't spot one grumpy person all weekend, they couldn't do enough for us. The manager and owner was around every day and was very personable, each meal time we received a visit from him at our table, not in a "I'm doing the PR thing" way but in a way that when he asked how you were enjoying your stay you knew he cared.

I have rambled a bit but if you visit you'll see why. It's by no means a cheap holiday but we certainly got our money's worth.

ENJOY!

Fantastic holiday ...again!

by TripAdvisor Member Libbe

We are just back from our second trip to Kellys.
We have two small children under 3 and have genuinely found it difficult to find places to stay in Ireland that we would consider child friendly. Although a lot of places advertise themselves as childfriendly we have been disappointed with the service. Not the case with Kellys. However they manage it they seem to be able to facilitate older people and families with young children resulting in a really unique atmosphere. Our children had a fantastic time. We had a good break and I would highly recommend the Sea Spa for those special treats. Compared to what you get in Dublin for the same price I think this is really good value.
One small criticism was that the childrens food could have geared more towards the toddler age group. Many things were available on request but it would have been nice if a more baby/toddler food options were available in a buffet style.
If you plan on bringing toddlers I would go during term time to avoid school going age children as this older age group tend to be a bit more boistrous in the pool and playground which is fine but it is more enjoyable for younger children if they don't have to compete with this older age group. The nighttime entertainment is as bit dodgy..a bit like a wedding band. We found we retired to the library or T.V room for a glass of wine and a chat. There were still open turf fires in May! Like many others we booked next year's stay on our way out.

A kellys convert!

by TripAdvisor Member babydoll27

I travelled to Kellys for 3 days with my boyfriend and his family who have been coming here for years.I can see why now! It really is a great place.We had great weather but even without it Kellys has a certain magic to it. Most families return year after year and as a result the staff and guests are like family.The manager Eamon is wonderful and even arranged to collect us from the train station.Bill Kelly the owner is friendly and makes you feel at home. The food really is the best..as my "kelly belly" can demonstrate. Accomodation is spacious and cannot be faulted,the food is plentiful and had a great time

Lovely hotel, pity about senior management

by TripAdvisor Member Castleknocktraveller

We have just returned after a 4 day break. We found the General Manager extremely rude in greeting most other diners around us but ignoring my wife and I during our 26th. anniversary break. When he was informed about our observations he did not have the courtesy to even try and make us feel any more comfortable. The Head Waiter did not welcome us to the dinning room at all during our stay. Like the General Manager his rudeness was in the extreme. Maybe we were not regular enough guests as both these 'managers' were on first named terms with most guests.

We found that Mr. Kelly was very welcoming and in Eamonn Dempsey - duty manager- Kellys have a gem.

The Spa was very comfortable and we were upgraded to a suite from a sea view (optimistic opinion) room to a junior suite at a nominal cost that was waived on checkout.

The Sea Spa is a lovely experience and the facial and massage treatments were so relaxing and therapists very friendly.

A 10% service is charged to all accounts - however when we paid our bill (a revised one as the first bill was incorrect) I declined to pay this charge because of the General Manager and Head Waiter's attitude to us during our stay. The Reservation Manager said it was not the hotels intention 'to do people'.

Mr. Dempsey did offer a complimentary bottle of champagne during our dinner the night after our anniversary.

The hotels location on the lovely beach is second to none and beach towels are available free of any charge in the ageing Aqua Club.

If we visited Kellys in10 years time maybe those who feel we pay for the 'Kellys experience' would be much more comfortable if there were a couple of new faces on the management team. Then everything would be PERFECT.

would live there if i had the chance.

by TripAdvisor Member annmarie5

i arrived at the hotel about 2.30pm with my mother. because our was not raedy we were able to put our luaggae in to a storage room. whlie we were waiting my self and my mother we walked around the hotel to find were everything was. about a hour later we were able to get into the bedroom. the bedroom and bathroom are big enough to move around and there was loads of spare room.
the next mouring one ofe the recpetion staff offered me a while chair for my mother, who has cancer and has difficultly walking.
the staff could not help and fast enough. not matter what i asked for they helped. the food was only to die for, seinor managment walked around the restaurant everynite to make sure every one was ok.
the grounds lovely.they have there own path way to the beach. there is loads of kids and adults to do. there is a room to clean babys bottles, in this room there is a small fridge to put your bottles(put your room number on the bottle) and a laundary room to wash clothes.
on the mouring i was going to leave , my mother got sick, i went to the recpetion and asked could i stay another nite, there was no problem. even the housekepping manager called to the room and asked was everything ok and offered her help if needed anythng.

Nearly perfect

by TripAdvisor Member athas

Back from Kellys and really enjoyed it.

Good points: Creche-drop in whenever you feel like it and they take from 0 age up.
Baby room-with sterilisers, formula, baby jars, fridge etc
Competitions and daily activities
Washing room with dryers and nonbio powder
Wonderful atmosphere

Bad points: Nighttime entertainment-band and an empty floor
View from spa onto street brings you back to the real world
Room small for family-no interconnecting rooms
Lunch in particular not tasty-although loads of it
Dated look

Make sure you dress up for dinner!

A Glorious Hotel with the best staff!

by TripAdvisor Member Alanna199

My family and I have been blessed enough to be regular holiday makers to Kellys Resort Hotel since we were nippers! In fact, the "Kellys" tradition has spanned many generations in my family, with both my parents frequenting the hotel with their respective parents as children! Over 20 and 30 years on, we are still enjoying the fabulous hospitality on offer in the sunny south east!

Myself, my husband and siblings (with their partners) all enjoyed a fabulous break in Kellys in September just gone. Kellys offers a unique holidaying experience unlike any other destination in Ireland or indeed the world! The Staff (several of whom have worked there for over 30 years - which speaks volumes in my opinion!) are exceptional - and welcome you in with open arms (litterally!) to a "home away from home". The hotel provides something for everyone.......for those that seek a relaxing retreat from the rat race of City Life, Kellys provides the back drop of peace and serenity........whilst those who prefer to occupy their time sampling the many activities on offer are also catered for.

The Spa facilities are fabulous and the relaxation room (which is located upstairs) is super after you have enjoyed a facial or massage! Remember to book early (usually a month in advance) to avoid disappointment. The Thermal spa was a huge hit with the boys in our group!

The food provided never fails to disappoint - a different menu is made up every evening - which is not an easy feat! Considering we stayed a week, we saw no reptition on the menu! Its a "foodies" paradise! I'm still trying to work off those extra few pounds!!!!!

One of my highlights returning to Kellys is the staff.....notable mention must go to Donal (THE best waiter in the world! - who loves a pot of jam!) and Mary from the IVY room who is always smiling (and incidentally makes the BEST white coffee in Ireland!) - Billy Kelly is an absolute gent also! I truly cannot fault Kellys Hotel - to me, it is the complete package and caters for all ages, young and old.

If you haven't got Sea Legs or never been on a Cruise

by TripAdvisor Member Celtictiger

Kelly's Resort Hotel is one of Irelands Best Hotels.

Just back from 1 nights stay ( Can't afford to take one of the 3 or 4 night breaks ) but I'll struggle on.
The staff are excellent and the food is excellent , as I said in my last review its run as a Cruise, guests staying on Full Board are offered Breakfast, Lunch n Dinner the only thing missing is the Midnight Feast.
There is entertainment every night with DANCING 6 NIGHTS Monday to Saturday and on Sunday you have Derek Cunningham and Pat in the La Marine Bar with a Sing Song n a Lot of Blues ps. You might Win a Bottle of Champagne for Singing.
The new Sea Spa is excellent..... They also have an excellent indoor pool and Canadian Hot Tub OUTSIDE WHICH IS BEST ENJOYED IN THE AUTUMN.
Kelys has a tradition of familys staying , going back for years , So you will see a few BLue Rinses . But overall it has Ambience and Friendly Staff in an perfect location beside the Sea. It closes on December 10th and dose'nt reopen until after Valentines about
the 16th February... Don't wait until then to book or you won't get a room....BOOK NOW Tommytourist

Comments