Ferrycarrig Bridge, Wexford, County Wexford, Ireland

Expedia.com Hotels.com Travelocity

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Riverside Retreat

I really think that Wexford, as a County, has a treasure trove of fine hotels to choose from. The Ferrycarrig is one of my favourites.

It's juat about a mile from Wexford town, yet seems to be situated in the heart of the country.

Drive through the gates off the very busy main road, and you enter a haven of peace and riverside tranquility.

The hotel is quite large by Irish standards, but is well designed and spread over the beautiful natural landscape, making the best aesthetic use of the countryside on which it has been built.

Not only has the hotel made the best use of the land on which it is built, but the adjoining river is incorporated into the design so that one almost forgets where the river ends and the gardens begin.

The hotel is an upmarket four star hotel and rooms are extremely comfortable, with views of the river.

It provides very good value to the traveller, particularly when you book a two night special including dinner. The hotel has two restaurants, and the food is delectable - far from the standard hotel fare. In addition to this there is a large bar serving mouth watering bar food in a setting that makes the best of the river views. Sit outside on the deck on a warm day and you'll think you're in heaven.

Unique Quality: Definitely the river views and also the food. Both outstanding.

Fall in love with this place - I have.

Directions: A mile from Wexford on the Ferrycarrig road.

More about Ferrycarrig Hotel

Haven by the River

by SabrinaSummerville

Although the Ferrycarrig is both a Hotel and a wonderful place to eat, I put this tip under Things to Do because it deserves an entire day out in itself.

The Ferrycarrig Hotel is about a mile and a half outside Wexford Town, heading towards Waterford, just off the roundabout.

It's just beautiful, not least for its setting.

It is situated on a very wide part of the river and the hotel has made the best use of the location in every way. The design and landscaping is second to none.

There is a wonderful deck overlooking the river and it's the most perfect place to sit on a sunny summer evening watching the sun set as you sip a pint of cider.

The river area is a haven for wild birds. You will also see gentle pleasure craft floating by, and the more enthusiastic of you will enjoy watching the water skiing.

When you get peckish the hotel offers a bar food menu like no other I have experienced - delicious stuff that you would expect from a high class restaurant, plus local staples like seafood chowder and mussels, all from fish caught locally. It's a lovely place to bring children, too, as they accept them warmly and there's a special kids menu in the bar. However, keep an eye on them if they wander outside by the river.

Even on a wet day you can sit inside the bar and look out, as the hotel once again makes the best of the location by the use of huge picture windows.

I will post a pic or two, but you really have to go here to see what it's all about.

Food with a View

by SabrinaSummerville about Reeds

Reeds is the name given to the main restaurant in Wexford's Ferrycarrig hotel. I have eaten there on a number of occasions over the past ten years or more and I have never had a meal that was less than excellent.

The restaurant occupies a large riverfront wing of the ground floor of this hotel. All tables command some view of this spectacular scenery.

When I most recently ate there in October 2006 we were given a large corner table to seat the two of us. Our table was at a ninety degree angle meeting of two walls of windows so that we had the best possible benefit of the view.

The decor is soft and cool - lots of silk drapes in shades of silver and the palest gold with high ceilings. The furnishing is in light wood and tables are set comfortably far apart from each other.

Service was quick and very pleasant and the menu was, as usual, very varied and with quite a few surprises. The hotel uses its best endeavours to source local produce and the names of some of the local farmers and market gardeners are used in the descriptions of dishes on the menu e.g. Paudeen O Griofain's finest rhubarb tartlet.....and so on. The food in this hotel is outstanding and not what most people would expect from hotel food. I have always found a slight Asian influence on the menu which has now mellowed into the use of Asian flavourings in "ordinary" dishes.

I started with a carpaccio of local beef served with grilled king prawns and a very nice salad. The serving was a little small, but this was just as well as my main course was enormous. That consisted of a pasta dish of garganelle pasta with the lightest cream and dill sauce topped with firm but delicate pieces of monkfish, succulent king scallops, and yet more king prawns. Mange tous and baby roast cherry tomatoes added colour. Two side dishes contained, respectively, new potatoes roasted in their skins and roast mediterranean vegetables (red and yellow peppers, red onion, parsnips and carrots).

My friend started with a nice home made vegetable soup with a swirl of cream (I tasted it and thought there was a little too much broccoli in it for balance) and followed that with a rack of lamb. Three large juicy lamb chops graced the plate and again there was a big serving of vegetables.

I didn't have space in my tummy for dessert, but I had to have one as everything else had been so good. I chose a rather amazing mille feuille of jaffa orange chocolate mousse and tuile with a tart orange glaze. It was divine. Although the menu didn't say it, I'd swear it was laced with some strong orange liqueur.

The bill totalled Euro 100 for two which included a gin and tonic, two glasses of wine, litre of sparkling water, and coffee. Terrific value.

Sunday lunch provides a cheaper option and children are more than welcomed here. I would advise reservations, especially for the Sunday lunch.

friendly hotel

by TripAdvisor Member welshtaz

Recently spent a lovely night at the Ferrycarrig Hotel in Wexford.
The room was spacious with a lovely bathroom and very clean.
They have a great decking area overlooking the river and we spent a few hours there before having a lovely dinner in the quiet part of the bar.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful and we wished that we could have stayed another night.
The breakfast was not impressive and the restaurant "Reeds" could have done with more air-conditioning and did lack atmosphere.
A lovely hotel that we would most definately stay again on our return to Ireland.

Service was 1st Class

by TripAdvisor Member ALI76

Our stay at the Ferrycarraig was absolutely fantastic. The service was first class, nothing was a problem for them. The views were spectacular, lovely waking up to a view of the river Slaney. They have a lovely decking area at the rear of the bar where you can enjoy your drink overlooking the river. We dined in their restaurant, Reeds on the Sunday night of our stay. It was a little quieter than we expected but the food and the service was excellent. We had full use of their Leisure centre after checking out on our day of departure. We used the pool which was really nice and not too crowded. We'll definitely be returning to the Ferrycarraig if the chance arises in the future!

Lovely hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Peig_Sayers

Beautiful hotel, lovely rooms, nice bar, good retaurant and great location. The only problem with our stay was that it rained constantly for the whole weekend! Would like to go back when the weather is better.

Amazing location -

by TripAdvisor Member dari

This hotel is very fortunate to be situated in one of the most scenic locations in Co Wexford. Food superb and view from bar, restaurant and rooms enchanting.
Kiddis club very poor and in my view run by very young inexperienced staff with little enthusiasm. The kiddies club is situated too far from restaurant and bar. Bedrooms and reception area could do with a little refurbishment. Over all this hotel's main attraction is it's beautiful location and lovely restaurant however with some modernisation better supervision and management of kiddies club and out-door/in-door play ground area for children it could easily be a five star hotel. Rest room beside bar/restaurant could also benefit with some light, soothing background music. Take my suggestions on board and you could be on to a real winner here!

what a view

by TripAdvisor Member elliemai

I stayed with my partner and our infant son for the weekend. The location of the hotel was just spectacular. I have never seen such a view out of the room window, and all the rooms in the hotel had a similar view. The food was extreemly tasty and the service was polite. There were weddings on both nights we stayed, is very popular for weddings we were told. The first night was fine but the second we had to deal with drunken partygoers who stayed on their balcony drinking until 6 in the morning. The staff were very apologetic and did their best to rectify the situation, either way, it did nothing to change our opinion on the hotel, we're heading back in two months for another stay in this wonderful haven! Breakfast was really good aswel!

The Rebel County

by SabrinaSummerville

"County of Beaches and Thatch"

I always associate County Wexford with beautiful beaches, quaint thatched cottages, haunted houses, and fun-filled pubs.

My favourite place to sit and watch the world go by in Wexford in The Ferrycarrig Hotel. This pic is taken on a foggy day of the river on which the hotel is located. It was really eerie that November day .

On sunnier days there is water skiing on this very river and a host of other water sports.

To me Wexford is a place to come and relax. A lot of Dublin City dwellers come to the beach areas of Co Wexford for holidays. Many of them have mobile homes in this area and the mobile parks are constantly booked out. Most of them are also maintained to a very high standard and some of the mobile homes even have balconies and decking.

"Fishing Villages"

Because it has such a large coastline, Wexford is well known for fishing and there are a number of renowned fishing villages.

In particular I like Kilmore Quay as there are some fantastic seafood restaurants there. yes yes, tips will follow.

For now I hope you enjoy this pic of the fishing boats - it was taken on the same foggy day and I think the boats look like ghost-ships.

"Ravishing Ruins"

Wexford is also a County housing some very attractive ruins! Lately I have seen a number of derelict cottages incorporated into the landscaping of new houses built on the grounds.

I'm posting a pic of a house near Duncannon as an example - this house would almost talk to you:-)

Strawberry Fields Forever

"My Mission"

Wexford is one of Waterford's neighbouring counties so I find myself going there pretty often.

For all that I have absolutely no pics of the town itself, just lots and lots of the beautiful scenery all around the County. I am going to make it my MISSION to get some really good pics of the town and post them here for you all to relish.

Sadly I think most visitors just drive through Wexford coming from or going to the ferry at Rosslare, but it's really worth taking the time to stop and visit a while.

What do I think of most when I think of Wexford?
* Great furniture shops.
* The Ferrycarrig Hotel.
* Curracloe.
* Thatched cottages.
* Strawberries, mmm (see below).
* My old secretary Alison.
* Hook Head.
* Architects.

I'll add to this list. Bear with me.

"Strawberry Fields"

The reason for the title is that Wexford is renowned for it's strawberries and has a strawberry fair every year.

It's just delightful to drive along any of the roads approaching Wexford during strawberry season as the roads are dotted with sort of hawkers trailers selling the freshest locally grown strawberries, new potatoes, gooseberries, raspberries and all manner of organic delights. You haven't lived until you've tasted a pot of freshly boiled Wexford "spuds" (potatoes) laced with butter, followed by a big bowl of local strawberries drenched with cream.

Now I'm making myself hungry!

"Wexford People"

One thing that I can say about any of the Wexford people that I have known is that they are great workers. They are great fishermen and great carpenters I am told.

I'm going to post a pic of Alison who worked for me for four and a half years. She's not a fisherwoman and she's not a carpenter either. She types:-) She was just terrific and a lovely person too. Alison told me much of what I know about Wexford - especially Dunbrody House (see hotel & restaurant tips).

One other thing - Wexford people don't like Mondays bigtime. It's really hard to get any of the Wexford people I know to work on a Monday:-)

Wexford people are also very friendly.

Comments