Abbey St, Wexford, County Wexford, Ireland

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 42% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Wexford's biggest rip-off

My girlfriend and myself were looking forward to a nice getaway in Wexford. However, we had a terrible idea choosing Whites of Wexford. The check-in put a sour taste in our mouth. When we arrived on saturday at 4pm, we were told our room wasn't ready, and we didn't get it until one hour later. The staff did not apologize at any time for this inconvenience.
    We weren't even shown the room which, by the way, was noisy, small and very basic (not to mention the tiny bathroom that got flooded after 3min in the shower).
    Breakfast was a challenging experience. Trying to get someone to look after us took us 10min (and they weren't busy when we arrived). Plus, they got the order wrong: the waiter didn't know what poached eggs were, even though they had them on the menu...
    The treatment we got wasn't in any way kind. In fact, it was almost cheeky. Very erratic staff.
    Extremely dissappointing experience. I don't understand the fee they charge for the quality you get...
    Don't waste your time or your money in Whites... There are many better places around!!

More about Whites of Wexford

Loved Whites

by TripAdvisor Member Discosi

I went to Wexford on a whim for a night with my fiancé and had no hotel booked. Whites was the first place we came across as it is right in the heart of the city, which is what we were looking for. We got a good deal right off the street and we were very happy with our room.
We also ate dinner in the hotel, which turned out to be a very good move because we both loved it. The breakfast (in bed) was also very good.
Although we did not use them the hotel had fantastic leisure facilities. My fiancé did make use of the Spa and had a facial in the morning that she raved about all day. (good value too)
The hotel staff were very friendly, helpful and attentive.
The only complaint I would have was our poor view (other rooms)but that was not a big deal for us.
All in all this was a lovely hotel in an super location and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to others.

Hidden Gem

by TripAdvisor Member CORKGS

This was our third stay in whites in a year.
We stayed with our 1 year old who is always welcomed.
The location is so central yet the setting is tranquil.
The views are stunning from almost any room.
I could not recommend this hotel enough.

Wonderful Whites!

by TripAdvisor Member w0rldtravelgirl

I have just returned home from a very pleasant stay at Whites Hotel in the heart of Wexford town. Although my last minute booking was made at a very busy time of year for them - the Opera Festival was on while I was there, I had a room with a superb view over the bay. The room was beautiful and bright with crisp sheets, generous pillows and lots of towels.
I had dinner in the restaurant and the food and sevice were excellent. I also had breakfast in the restaurant and the buffet was generous with a good selection of fruits, cereals and breads. The hot food was delicious and the coffee was plentiful.
The staff were very helpful and provided me with maps and directions for my travels around town.
I will be going back!

What a way to Chill out.

by TripAdvisor Member nuttynora

Had a wonderful stay at the Whites Hotel, our room was upgraded and we had wonderful views of the River Slaney and local surroundings. We spent 6 nights in Wexford and had a wonderful time, the staff at the hotel were extremely helpful and friendly. Tried out the gym a few times and the staff again were very helpful in showing how all the equipment worked. It was the best 6 nights sleep I have had in a long time. My partner and I enjoyed visiting many restuarants in Wexford, The Yard, Oyster Lane at the Talbot food was fantastic. Whites is a lovely location to be based as it is right in the centre of town, Would go back aagain next year for our annual trip to Wexford. The hotel is very relaxing and it is great to chill out.

a little disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member travelbugDublin

stayed in whites last sunday the hotel itself is lovely but after arriving at the hotel at 2.30pm my room was not ready their check in time was 4pm!!! I did not get a call to say my room was ready until 5.15 pm !!! it was a mess and left a very sour taste in my mouth I was not the only person left waiting ...........the facilities Im sure were great but I never got to use them as i was only staying 1 night and check out was 12pm very quick!! The manager said it was not his fault if people didnt check out on time I know it certainly wasnt mine but i was penalised!!

Only OK

by TripAdvisor Member Wendowlene

Hotel has recently been renovated but some of the corridor walls are badly marked & could do with a repaint and the rooms are very bare - not a picture on any of the walls. The "standard" rooms have no bath - only a shower which is in the corner of the bathroom so that most of the bathroom ends up soaking when you have a shower.

The air conditioning in our room was preset and could not be changed - we managed to turn it off for a while but then it would automatically come back on.

There was a leaf of lettuce on the floor of the lift for the whole of our two night stay - this was joined by a hair bobble on the second night which was also there when we left.

The hotel does have signs that warn of queues at breakfast but in my book 10 minutes to queue up to request some poached eggs is way too long - and to add insult to injury they never arrived! There were piles of staff wandering round the dining room but there didn't seem to be any coordination - there were no bowls available for fruit and cereal several times and only 3 yogurts at a time put on display in a dining room containing over 100 people!!

On the plus side, the rooms were clean and quiet - we didn't hear a sound despite a wedding taking place long into the night.

No tea or coffee making facilities in the room either - annoying if you just want a quick cuppa without having to go down to the lobby and pay over €2 for one!

Overall OK but only if you get a good rate.

Don't waste your time and money here

by TripAdvisor Member HelenDr

Whites doesn't care about its guests

by TripAdvisor Member LondonTourist99

We stayed at Whites of Wexford on Saturday 25 August and would never stay there again. The staff were unfriendly and the rooms (despite being recently renovated) were small and basic. I agree with previous comments regarding the bathrooms - the standard rooms have no bath and as the shower is not in a cubicle the entire bathroom gets wet.

Our room had scaffolding outside the window (something we believe hotels are required to inform guests of in advance by law but Whites failed to do). Furthermore, the hotel staff then refused to change our room.

We were then kept awake all night by local youths who decided to climb on the scaffolding in the middle of the night (something the hotel should have been patrolling but failed to do as well).

Then when we complained in the morning, there was no manager on duty, and no-one else had authorisation to do anything. We were told that a manager would call us within an hour - 2 weeks later and we are still waiting...

If you are travelling to Wexford, we would recommend that you stay at another hotel.

Enjoyed our one night stay

by TripAdvisor Member nakedhedgehog

We booked our room with Whites of Wexford on very short notice. Though the phone number we took down on their website did not work (and Directory Inquiry put us through the attached Spa) we did eventually get through to Reservations and booked our room for the night.

The check-in went flawlessly and quickly and the clerk at the desk was very friendly. Our room was upgraded to Superior class for the price of a Standard room.

True enough, the rooms are not decorated. But our room was clean, modern and comfortable and overlooked the plaza below.

When we were checking in we were warned that the restaurant was heavily booked that evening and was fully booked between 7 and 9.
We opted to have a late dinner as we did not feel like leaving the hotel and weren't particularily hungry yet anyway.

The restaurant was nice as well. Our waitress was very friendly. In fact the entire staff in the restaurant was calm and professional despite being understaffed for the night and having to deal with a wedding party, and we really enjoyed the dinner.

We opted for "breakfast in bed" and when our ordered room service arrived we found we had been given two full irish breakfast (in addition to what we ordered) gratis.

Check-out was quick as well and we left the place deciding we would stay here again if we ever came back to Wexford.

Comments