The Royal Hotel & Leisure Centre

Tags

Budget Travel Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Historical Travel
See Amenities

HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE hotel!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 5, 2011

We travel quite a bit for pleasure and stayed here during a 10-day tour of UK and Ireland. This was probably the worst hotel we have ever stayed at in our lives. Filthy disgusting rooms, sticky and beat up furniture, holes in the dirty walls that looked like somebody punched them and they just left it, duct tape holding the ripped and dirty carpets together, electrical tape holding the broken light switch together. I was afraid to walk barefoot in the rooms and sleep on the beds. And it is not like we always stay at expensive, fancy hotels - even on this trip we stayed in far better hotels for much lower rates. And it's not because as Americans we are perhaps not used to the culture or expectations there, we witnessed an Irish lady at the front desk demanding that they give her a different room and telling them "I KNOW you have nice rooms here!" The website photos are EXTREMELY misleading - we thought it looked like a beautiful hotel in the pix but I just cannot stress how terrible it was. A Bray resident downtown told us it USED to be a nice hotel, but in recent years management hasn't cared and has let it get run down. As for the breakfast buffet - dried up oatmeal and some jelly - it's not even worth mentioning. And it's hard to get the attention of wait staff to ask for the complimentary toast and tea/coffee, because they avoid making eye contact and do not come to ask if you want anything - they wait for you to try to get their attention. I will say the staff was nice and polite - once you managed to finally get their attention. Unfortunately management does not care so therefore the staff has no pride or cares either. PLEASE AVOID STAYING AT THIS HOTEL! If we ever stay in Bray again we will be sure to stay on the beach, perhaps at the Ramada or another hotel down there. As an aside, Finnbee's coffee shop on the beach - highly recommended during a trip to Bray.

Directions: downtown Bray

LadyXoc's Profile Photo

Inexpensive Bray Hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 27, 2010

My friend and I booked this hotel thru Hotel.com and got excellent rates. Three nights for €132. As compared to the hotel of our other wedding attendees, Summerhillhouse at €200 a night. It was clean and easy to get to from Dublin. Our room might have been smallish by American standards but Connie and I managed fine. Bathroom was good too.
I never saw the pool nor did we eat in the restaurant. The staff was helpful and courteous. It was billed as a three star. I would not say it is posh or fancy but I was most satisfied and felt I got my moneys worth. It was easy to catch a bus across the street and return to London just as getting there we were dropped by bus just around the corner. The 5 day unlimited bus pass you can get at the Dublin airport will get you here and to other villages in the area.
The one downside that I would mention was that we were jolted out of our sleep at 10:30pm by the bar band. Perhaps bring earplugs. They played till just after midnight. If we were not jet lagged we would have been right down there boogying :)
If you want to stay by the sea I saw many accomodations along the Promenade so this one is not what you want for that purpose.
Inexpensive, easy to get to from Dublin, easy to catch busses to other towns....yes.

Unique Quality: On the main thoroughfare and easy to get to using teh Dublin bus. The sea and Bray Cliffwalk were a short walk away.

Directions: Driving from M50 and N11
Take "Bray North" exit, then turn right into Bray at Roundabout.
Follow main road through Bray. Visible from a distance, the Royal Hotel is located after the Dargle Bridge up the hill on the left.

Go to a B&B instead and save yourself some money!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 11, 2004

Firstly, the corridor smelt of smoke. Both windows in the room looked out onto a rooftop with a generator (quite noisy!), which was also filthy and covered with cigarette butts. Meagre supply of coffee in room and a couple of the plugs & one bedside lamp did not work. Bathroom was dirty and smelt. Shower curtain was mouldy and smelt. Water was a disgusting browny colour – even though I ran the water for a while. When I complained about this, the Deputy Manager explained to me that it was because of the nearby bogs! Although the room itself was generally clean, the bed was not made properly. The sheet was just lying on the mattress and was not even tucked in.
My disappointment at the standard of our room was compounded when I caught a glimpse into the room opposite and it looked totally different - modern & the bathroom looked gleaming! We went down for dinner to find that the restaurant was closed and we had to eat in the pub, which was full of smoke. Decided to order room service instead. After checking the menu, we placed our order. Only to be called back a few minutes later & told that neither of the dishes we had ordered were available. We were offered chicken nuggets as an alternative!
When checking out I mentioned that I was not happy with the room and Deputy Manager to come and speak with me. He accepted all of my points and said that he would refer my issues to the General Manager and that I could expect some kind of recompense. Unfortunately, I heard nothing.
So, I wrote to the General Manager on 12 February explaining the whole situation. Still, I heard nothing. On 24 February, not being one to give up easily, I decided to take the matter to the group’s owner, which happens to be one Mr Jim McGettigan. Again, I received no response at all. I have since tried to call Mr McGettigan and have left 2 messages. Guess what – he’s not returned my calls!

Unique Quality: Hopefully this review will save others from having to experience the disappointment and frustration I’ve had to endure over the past few months. This is not a hotel or group that I could recommend to anyone. You’d be better off staying in a B&B and saving your money!

Directions: On main high street (quite busy)

Nearby The Royal Hotel & Leisure Centre

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Bray Travel Forum

Need advice about Bray, Ireland? Visit the Travel Forum for Bray and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Bray hotel reviews