Powerscourt Estate, Enniskerry, Ireland
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 21% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about The Ritz-Carlton Powerscourt, County Wicklow

Love it - ignore the negatives - must of being teething problems!!

by TripAdvisor Member Dublin16

my fiance surprised me with a trip here as a christmas present and it was just fabulous. i really don't understand all the negative reviews as our stay was amazing. he had booked a suite and the prestige menu in gordon ramsays for dinner.

I'll try and keep this brief - we were in a suite on the second floor and it was bigger than our apartment!! we had 3 tvs - including one in the bathroom set into the mirror. the bed was fabulous - massive and very comfy (possibly too soft) and we had lots of space. on the negative, we had a kitchen - but it had NOTHING in the drawers - no glasses,cutlery, plates etc. i queried this with reception and they said that that was correct. we had a fully blown expensive coffee maker - but no cups!! reception informed me that the suites were like that with a view to offering a kitchen facility to longer term guests in the future. I then asked about tea/coffee facilities and was advised that there was none but room service would be happy to deliver. I hate this - you're paying a fortune for a room/suite and they still try and screw you out of a coffee.

anyway other than the tea/coffee issue, the service was excellent (except for 1 grumpy chap in mcgills - the pub), the atmosphere was excellent, dinner in GR's was SUBLIME, and the spa was amazing.

I can understand a crowded lobby when the hotel first opened as us Irish can be very nosy and the first Ritz would demand a lot of attention and locals coming in for "afternoon tea" and taking over the place. However, things seem to have calmed down.

Make sure you bring your swimware, gym gear and go for a spa treatment if you can afford it. All the facilites in the spa are fantastic and you'll want to use all of them!!

I would definitely like to stay here again (if I could justify the expense when I live 30 minutes away) but I will definitely be back for dinner in GRs.

Whats not to love!?

by TripAdvisor Member judesb27

This hotel might be pricey but the saying that you get what you pay for has never been truer. This hotel is stunning in every way. It is spotless, beautiful, relaxing and the staff are very helpful.
Me and my Fiance stayed here for one night in January and we didn't want to go home. We had a mountain view suite which had every mod con you could ask for and the Suite was beautiful and romantic. The hotel has wonderful resturants and a traditional Irish Pub in the centre of it, which is great craic. I would reccommend this hotle to anyone!

Sheer Opulence!

by TripAdvisor Member niallgWestmeath

I stayed here on Saturday 19 January as part of a conference for work and fortunately can say that i had a wonderful time without having to put my hand in my pocket!! I am sure the rooms are expensive but they are very definitely worth it. They are big, clean and very stylish(in the traditional way). No fewer than three plasma tvs and a bed that you could practically live in. However, no tea/coffee making facilities or complimentary water which no matter how posh anyone is can take a little bit away from the comfort. The lifts are also confusing as previously mentioned. The service was excellent, sincere and generally the staff seemed happy to be there! All our food was laid on so no idea how Ramsay's restaurant stacked up. Like mentioned before the breakfast whilst ample was disappointing in the sense that it should be cooked to order. I would happily return as the hotel would certainly impress my wife!!I consider myself to be a discerning visitor and can honestly recommend this hotel.

Back in Florida but my heart is still at the Ritz

by TripAdvisor Member bubba89

Just returned from a 3 night stay at this lovely hotel, celebrating an anniversary so the reason for coming in January. Upgraded to a suite that was bigger than our first house, given long stem roses on the bed, champagne, and strawberries and chocolate, what could be better. The checkin was what you expect from a Ritz Carlton, escorted by the gentleman who checked us in, he showed us all that the suite had to offer, absolute luxury, lush bedding, the master bath the size of a NY apartment, in mirror TV , plus two additional flat screens in the living area and bedroom, even had a small dressing room with vanity and mirror. Lovely....touch screen in-room controls and since we were at the end of the hallway, a wrap around balcony at least 20 ft long with outside seating. The lobby is grand, yet inviting to have a seat and warm up to the fireplaces, or have tea. Only ate at McGill's the hotel pub which opens at 1630 but doesn't serve food until 1800. We enjoyed our meal and the friendly chatty bartenders/servers, would have liked more of a menu selection though, very small menu. The weather wasn't co-operating so we didn't get to enjoy the Powerscourt Estate and Gardens, next time we will be back in the warmer months. Bring your bathing suits the indoor pool is an experience not to be missed and children are only allowed in the pool at restricted hours so adults can relax and enjoy the total spa experience and be reminded why they are on vacation. Book a spa appointment you won't regret it. One happy side note for those who hate to be forced to valet park, there is free self parking (rare at Ritz Carlton)but valet is there if you wish. Unless I missed it there were not shops in the hotel, which is a missed opportunity, who goes to Ireland without buying something? Really wish we were still there and enjoying the staff, and quality of the 5 star service, the opening jitters of the hotel are gone. Can't wait to return

amazing hotel!!

by TripAdvisor Member GalwayHappy08

its an amazing hotel, i read all the reviews from this website after i had it booked and after reading some of them i nearly cancelled it but something told me not too, boy was i glad i didnt, we stayed here after new years, the hotel is top five star class, we stayed in one of the suites, oh my god you felt like royalty, i did book the gordon restaurant in advance and dinner was fantastic, service was amazing and the food is to die for!!! pool etc is fab, and there,s gardens just a five min walk away from hotel which can be nice and romantic for a little stroll, overall the best hotel in ireland by far, if you want to really treat yourself for something special stay here, and it is very reasonable for what you get

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member dart22

The hotel is an oasis outside Dublin. It's a magical hotel with great views in a real pituresque area of Wicklow, not far from Dublin.

A great place for business or pleasure!

The service was fantastic and the staff do whatever they can to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Paul in reception was particularly helpful.

The only reservation I would have about the place is that the Gordon Ramsay restaurant is very pricey and busy. But you can get a great meal in the lounge or resisdents bar.

Restaurant very Poor

by TripAdvisor Member SmurfsDublin

This hotel is not at the standard of any Ritz Carlton I have been at before in terms of food. The building is magnificant and the views are lovely etc.., but the food is frankly shocking. We had to queue up for breakfast for 15 minutes ! This hotel seriously needs an injeciton of management skill from someone in a proper Ritz Carlton.

Amazing Hotel and Superb Service

by TripAdvisor Member Shelly4720

We spent a weekend break in the hotel - it is a fantastic hotel, true oppulence throughout, the staff were extremely helpful in every way - we ate in McGills one evening and the food was very good. The breakfast is served in the Gordon Ramsay restaurant and it is devine - a great selection of everything you could think of -the blueberry muffins melt in your mouth! We ate in Emilia's Restaurant in the village - a lovely Italian restaurant. Our room was beautiful, the bed was so comfortable you don't ever want to get out of it. Remote control curatins, lights, do not disturb and aircon an added bonus! The location is amazing - beside Powerscourt house and gardens worth the 5.50 euro entrance fee. Overall we had a fantastic time in a beautiful hotel.

Improving hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Dfenz

I stayed here for the second time in two months in January 2008 and was curious to see if some of the chinks in the Ritz Carlton armour had been smoothed out in the few months that had elapsed since my last visit.

In general I found the staff to be very friendly this time around. There seemed to be relatively few guests staying on the cold icy Thursday night so those that were there were being looked after well. The food throughout the conference was very good although I've had better breakfasts in lesser hotels.

Once again the room was fantastic with extremely comfortable beds and top quality bathrooms. I stayed in a corner room which was somewhat unusual in that it had a corridor that navigated 180 degrees from the door to the living area. I'm not sure who thought of the idea of placing the TV facing the desk rather than the bed but it was bit awkward to pivot the TV 90 degrees to face the bed due to the layout of the room. This time around I was familiar with the electronic gadgetry to open curtains and turn off the lights without too much difficulty.

The bar was popular enough and is fairly cosy, an important factor in this out of town location on a winter's night. I doubt it gets too much passing trade so whatever athmosphere there is has to come from the hotel or conference guests.

All in all, a very nice hotel in a pleasant, if out of the way, location.

Putting on the Ritz

by TripAdvisor Member lishis

Booked a night in the Ritz-Carlton to enjoy the whole 'Gordon Ramsay' experience. Our intention was essentially to enjoy a luxury break and ultimately to learn what 'a five star dining experience' really entails. The standard of service was extremely professional from the moment of our arrival. Not enough superlatives can apply to the room in which we stayed (there was an upgrade package available when we booked). Gorgeous toiletries, robes, slippers, the works (better half is a builder and not a man for potions and lotions, but even he loved the showergel !) No coffee-making facilities in the room, but cafetiers and teapots were provided; along with kettle on request.
Meal reservation was for nine, but our table did not appear to be ready and therefore we were invited to have a drink while we waited. A ten minute wait was by no means an issue to us as we could chat and people-watch. My more well-heeled/travelled friends have told me since that the drinks should have been complimentary given that our table was not ready at the appointed time, however, we were not in any particular rush and had enjoyed the pool and spa facilities earlier that evening (more on that later) and thus were extremely relaxed. My only niggle was that we were hungry and a few 'nibbles' during the wait might have tided us over... The service during the evening was faultless and the wine list extensive if not somewhat overwhelming to say the least. In commenting on the food, my ignorance becomes very apparent. J and I enjoy eating out. We both know what we like and can tell good food from that which is not great however, the waiting staff spent a considerable amount of time explaining what each dish was when they presented it before us, and to be frank or ignorant (take your pick) the complexity of the dish as explained by the waiters didn't correspond to the experience of its consumption. (Again perhaps my palette in not sufficiently refined to appreciate what I ate, but I speculate that some of my fellow-diners' palettes may also be akin to my own.) The food was terrific but I have had some equally enjoyable meals elsewhere with less of the fanfare. The dining experience as such was truly memorable.
I enjoyed a blissful massage in the spa, and both of us spent a few hours in the pool area. The lighting in the pool area is dark without being austere and adds to an atmosphere of relaxation. We loved the hamam area.
In fact, we loved this hotel so much that we opted to stay for another night. On our second night, neither of us wanted to eat anything as rich as the night before. We had eaten a substantial lunch in the lovely Avoca restaurant in the Powerscourt estate earlier and were peckish rather than ravenous. A plate of chips would have sufficed me. Service for said chips and a salad was friendly and professional but slow. The waitress seemed to be alone in catering for a relatively large group of diners with a similar appetite to mine! Pub was closed it being Good Friday (no pub-grub on offer) and the Sugarloaf Lounge/Restaurant' s menu appeared quite heavy. The chips were tepid and not particularly appetising but the wine and company more than compensated.
Breakfast the following morning was a treat.. Service as always exacting, professional but friendly.
Leaving the hotel was not easy. (The not-inconsiderable bill had to be paid)! We genuinely had one of the best 2 night breaks ever here. Beautiful, scenic location, luxurious bedrooms attentive staff, wonderful leisure facilities and food to write home about/ if not to talk about.
We will be back. I would suggest to anyone considering a stay in this hotel to make the reservation. You will not leave disappointed.

this is  it !!!this is it !!!

ed amongst the rosesed amongst the roses

Powerscourt GardensPowerscourt Gardens