County Wicklow Hotels

Our Members Say

• globetrott profile photo globetrott
  • Reviews: 7702

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Glendalough: a cheap & easy place for your motorhome !

When driving around Ireland in a motorhome it is sometimes hard to find a secure and cheap place to spend the night outside of the official camping-grounds. My favorite such place in County Wicklow is Glendalough, with its wonderful church-ruins and cemetary!
When I once arrived there late in the afternoon, I was told by the guide, who charged me 1 IR.Pound ( about 1,2 ÔéČuro today ) - it would be OK for me to stay overnight on this parking, without extra-charge.
What a pity, I did not have enough time and had to go on to Dublin...

...but it might be a great idea to go there for the 1st evening in Ireland - as it is just a short distance from most of the ferry-lines...

Glendalough might be overrun by tourist-buses during the day, but in the evening this place gets quiet and cosy, a great place for an evening-hike to the lakes or taking pics without any other visitors in the evening, in july and august it wont get dark untill 09.00p.m.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Camping
  • Written July 27, 2007

• Red_Hugh profile photo Red_Hugh
  • Reviews: 21

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Back to nature hosteling: Glenmalure youth hostel

This small hostel is right at the head of Glenmalure, a paralell valley to better known Glendalough. There is a road there but I think the best way to get there is cross country from Glendalough via the Wicklow Way, Irelands first long-distance walking trail. The hostel (at least when last I was there!) had no running water or electricity and was a wonderful place to sit before a roaring fire after a good days walking (and its surrounded by the stuff :). Late in the evening as the shadows seem to pool at the back of the room is when someone will invariably start telling ghost stories . . . .

NB this is a basic hostel so be prepared ;)

Only real disadvantage is that the nearest pub is miles away!

Quiet in the evenings and setting

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written January 9, 2007

• Naomiii profile photo Naomiii
  • Reviews: 13

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Knockrue House: DO NOT miss this! Such a wonderful experience!

Okay, wow, we had a gorgeous stay in County Wicklow, just south of Dublin.

I stumbled across this B&B while net searching for accommodation, and I'm sooo glad that I did. The owner is a lady by the name of Eileen, and we fell instantly in love with her! No, really! When we arrived, it was "Now den, would you loike a cupatee and some scones? You just rest yourself roight there and I'll bring you some."

The house was WONDERFUL, spotless and the location stunning, the pictures I saw on the net really didn't do it justice. I know I'm raving now, but the memory of our two night stay just becomes more vividly wonderful everytime I think of it. And Eileen sent us to a little pub up around the corner for dinner, it was wonderful too, so make sure you ask her about it.

Located right near Glendalough and also has some standing stones right next door.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Food and Dining
  • Written July 11, 2005

Room with a view.

• Bwana_Brown profile photo Bwana_Brown
  • Reviews: 3530

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Cherrybrook Country Home: Suitable Accommodations

Cherrybrook is located within walking distance of the centre of Avoca, yet is also far enough away on a hill that it gives the feeling of being in the countryside. We paid 38 Irish pounds for our room or about US$50.

It was an OK accommodations establishment but it seemed more like a business than a comfortable 'home'. Of the four B&Bs that we stayed in during our trip, this one was the least inspiring. They had a guest book at the door in which you were requested to write down What You Liked about them, which we thought a little presumptuous!

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Road Trip, Family Travel
  • Written January 11, 2004

View from the Road

• orlikins profile photo orlikins
  • Reviews: 1189
Redcross: Caravan

One time, we stayed in Redcross caravan park

I disctinctly remember they had a really cool ice-cream parlour on the premises :)

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written September 12, 2002

caravan

• orlikins profile photo orlikins
  • Reviews: 1189

Arklow accomodation

I've never stayed overnight in Arklow as it's only an hours drive from Dublin, so there's hardly any need for it.

However there are loads of B&Bs in the area, so you wont be stuck.

here;s a website to help.

• Opinion of Price: N/A