Newtownmountkennedy, County Wicklow, 2a, Ireland

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Druids Glen Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member dougp26364

We recently spent a week at the Marriott Druids Glen hotel and had a wonderful time. A rental car would be suggested as it's several Kilometers from the Dublin airport. The nearest Dart station is in Greystones. Marriott offers a shuttle service at scheduled times from the Greystones station so it would be feasable to take an airlink bus to the dart station. Then take the Dart train to Greystones and they either catch a taxi from Greystones or wait on the scheduled shuttle service. However, timing all of this would be problematic in my opinion.

This is a wonderful golf resort and not a bad resort outside of the nasty Dublin traffic from which to base day trips around Ireland. In the time we were there we visited Dubling via the Dart train, Bray, Greystones, Wicklow, Glendalough, the Cliffs of Moher and Waterford. All as day trips but, we did spend a fair amount of time in the car. Not a bad thing if you're wanting to see the country side and don't have an issue with getting anyplace at a specific time. We'd make stops along the way at whatever looked interesting at the time.

The hotel has two restaurants which have rather limited menu's. Prices range from 19 Euro's to 33 Euro's for most main courses. Main courses are served as a complete meal and not ala carte. The food quality was very good compared to the few other places we ate in Ireland. Overall, food does not seem to be a high priorty in Ireland and can be quite expensive for what you get. There is also a very nice pub in which to grab a pint before or after dinner.

Overall we had a great stay at this hotel and would not hesitate to go back again.

Just stayed there recently (not a five star hotel)

by TripAdvisor Member sionnach

We just stayed there last weekend (12th Dec) for my wife's birthday.

We got a quite reasonable deal for a Sunday and Monday night stay. 175Euro each night for a suite and included breakfast.

I had also read the rather good reviews here on Trip Advisor which swayed our decision to stay here.

The arrival at the hotel which is located in beautiful Wicklow countryside was pretty ok. They have a lot of private residental homes on the hotel grounds and it very much is a golfing location.
The check-in went pretty smoothly as reserved. Staff were friendly but their english needs to be better. Walking to our room the cleaning staff seemed to be everywhere in the corridor.

We got to our suite and it appeared to be ok, the seperate lounge area was pretty basic and the couch/seating was not so impressive. There was a gas fire in the room also. There is a small restroom of this room.

The bedroom was spacious, and it was plenty bright. The bed itself (King size) was only so so, it could move freely on it's wheels by gently brushing up against it. There were no spare pillows or blankets on the room.

The bathroom was pretty impressive, it contained two sinks/toilet/seperate shower and a bath. I cannot fault this room. A Heated floor would have been nice though.

We got breakfast delivered as room service both mornings at no extra charge, it was slightly late on the 1st morning. The breakfast itself while generous in size was not of the best quality. It was pretty cold and the actual quality of the food itself was average. I would honestly get the same breakfast at a local Bed and Breakfast. I expected better.

We ate at the Flynn's steakhouse on our final night there, we had a wonderful waitress that offered the perfect level of service. The food was excellent and the prices were not as high as I thought they would be (in keeping with current ireland prices).

The Bar area itself has a pleasent sit down area which offers a view of the golf course. I found the barstaff to to offer rather slow service.Prices were normal. Tables were not cleaned even though the place was very quite.

One item that did annoy us was that our room was not properly cleaned. The cleaner did not clean off the table that we ate breakfast on and one of the other tables in the room. Also the dirty used glasses and a pitcher of water was not removed either. A bowl of fruit was also not removed or refreshed.
Also our robes were not replaced, and we were one short.

Overall this is a rather nice hotel, which is perfect for a golfing weekend. However it is more of a four star facility, and the level of service needs to be improved. The poor cleaning of our room was unacceptable.

Superb - almost top marks

by TripAdvisor Member johnnybaby

I was recommended by a colleague to try the Marriott. Here's a tip - become a Marriott Rewards member on line and save even more on your stay. The web site is not the easiest to navigate but stick with it and you will get a good deal (€86 per room per night incl. breakfast)

Room was superb - big comfy bed, excellent bathroom - TV could be updated to a flat screen. Bed was Queen sized but cover was King size (why do people always mix these up?) so partner can leave one chilly.

Leisure facilities were very good and I parred index 1 on the Heath (6's on every other hole, though)

Breakfast selection was good and you could order anything you didn't see - I had pancakes one day and eggs benedict the next.

Restaurant menu was a bit limited but food was very good. Bars were quiet but very comfortable. Prices were average for Ireland so good news there. General environment was very comfy.

Negatives:
Although staff were very attentive sometimes they were over attentive (each time I finished breakfast my plate was whisked away as soon as the knife & fork were set down - efficient but rushed) english speaking was also a problem for many of the staff although we had a delightful local server for dinner the last night who made up for everything.

I am usually very critical in my reviews but am happy to recommend the Marriott to anyone.

Great Hotel Overall, Poor in some Aspects

by TripAdvisor Member ModelCounty

I stayed for one night in Druids Glen in November 2005 with my boyfriend.

We chose this hotel as it is a short 20 minute drive from Dublin and yet it's location has a 'country' feel.

The room was fantastic, large double bed and good sized bathroom which was kitted out with every toiletry you could possibly need.

We didnt have a chance to try any of the spa treatments. Definitely book any treatments well ahead of time as they seem to be very busy and it is nearly impossible to get a slot at the last minute.

We really enjoyed using the pool and sauna area. Towels and toiletries are provided in the changing rooms. The pool was a good size (one small gripe was that it was quite shallow). The sauna and steam rooms are what you would expect in a 5 star hotel and we loved the invigorating plunge pool!

We were however very disappointed with one aspect of the hotel - the restaurant. We had made dinner reservations several weeks in advance (at the same time we had booked our room). Our room was called an hour and a half before our dinner reservation and we were told that they would not be able to serve us until 1 hour after our original booking. Not wanting to make a fuss we accepted this although we then didnt get any food until after 10 pm.
My boyfriend enjoyed his dinner immensely. I ordered pasta in pesto sauce but received pasta in a thick mushroom sauce (which I have to say was awful). It was extremly difficult to explain the problem to the staff due to their extremely poor English. I didn't eat the meal and yet was still charged for it!

It was a real pity because apart from this the hotel was really wonderful.

excellent accommodation

Decided to book 2 nights stay at this hotel after reading the very positive reports. Hotel lived up to our expectations. Staff were extremely friendly. it was my husband's 50th B/D and they really made our his day. They gave us free bottle of wine and a birthday card. The food was very nice expecially the apple tart but the menu was quite limited especially that I cannot have diary and red meat but the chef did cater to my needs. The room was spacious and tastefully furnished, bed and pillows very comfortable, overall the room was clean and pleasant. The hotel is ideally situated especially if you want to get away from it all but only a 40 mins train ride from the neighbouring town-Greystone to Dublin. The train fare cost 12 euros for return journey for me and my husband. Staff was also very helpful and were very knowledgeable about the local area. Gym, swimming pool, sauna etc was all very nice at the hotel. The bar was fine too and the drinks was reasonable priced. The guiness was lovely. I would definately stay at this hotel again. Well done Marriott.

Very Nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ClaireR

This is a lovely property, the rooms are very well appointed and have everything you would need and expect from a 5* hotel. Check-in was quick and the staff all very friendly. We did have dinner while we were there in the Druids Restaurant and found it quite pricey. The food was good but not necessarily worth the prices charged. We were particularly annoyed when the waiter decided to argue with my friend regarding how her duck should be cooked, advising her that anything else other than well done was pure poison, and that was how she got it. A car is definetly needed as this property is out of the way and not close to public transport. Breakfast is also very high in price even for a 5* hotel. We went to Avoca on our way home and had a brunch style meal there instead, much better value. Overall all we had a lovely stay

Fantastic

Loved this hotel, Lobby, restaurant were fabulous, bedrooms huge and service very helpful. All in all great. Although I did attend a wedding and the function room had quite low ceilings and was very dark

a memorable stay!

by TripAdvisor Member honest reviewer

The ever-plesing Marriott! What a lovely hotel in such beautiful surroundings! Our suite was spacious and thoughtfully decorated. Decadent bath products as well. We received a fruit bowl and welcome card, nice little touches that will be fondly remembered. The staff was superb and ever-accommodating. We will certainly be back to this hotel again!

Fantastic, BUT...................

by TripAdvisor Member missdruidsglen

Fabulous hotel with lovely rooms, restaurant etc... BUT be sure and bring your confirmation of booking as proof of price quoted. On checking in the receptionist informed us that the price was incorrect and would be €150 extra. Eventually after some arguing and the reception guy insulting me and insisting nothing could be done I contacted the manager who sorted the whole sorry mess out and blamed the website & central reservations which incidentally still gives the same price we were quoted.
All in all a wonderful stay was had even if a sour taste was left on the first day.
On a positive note how my complaint was dealt with was impressive and highlighted the high level of customer service.

Very comfortable hotel, some minor drawbacks for those with very young children

by TripAdvisor Member ConcernedCitizen

My wife, our baby daughter and I stayed a weekend at this hotel and very much enjoyed it. The hotel is very comfortable with big, well equipped rooms that were able to accommodate all the paraphenalia that accompany a new born infant. The staff from check-in to housekeeping to the restaurant were friendly and efficient.

The facilities and grounds are well maintained - there is a good pool and my wife had an excellent massage for a reasonable price. The hotel is very golf oriented but I didn't play. There was a wedding on in the hotel on the Saturday night but unlike many Irish hotels it did not feel like it took over the place and that you were somehow gatecrashing it.

We got quite a good rate of €220 per night per room including an excellent buffet breakfast. The only gripe we had was with the dinner we had in the less formal of the two restaurants. The food was good if not brilliant and was expensive for what it was. We had a much better meal in nearby Greystones town the following night for a lot less. The hotel restaurant was physically cold early on and we were seated beside a side door that repeatedly banged shut waking our child.

A final quibble: the car park is quite far from the hotel foyer and the route is not pathed very well or thoughfully. There is valet parking but if you are transferring a child, a buggy, all their gear and your luggage it becomes quite a hassle. There were long queues for checkout on the Sunday morning this can be avoided as they have the facility to automatically check-out if you are happy with the bill they put under your room door on the last night.

All that aside I would recommend the Druids Glen for a weekend break. It is very easy to get to from Dublin, in lovely countryside with lots to do and see. Comfortable and relaxing.
These are relatively minor points but it is what makes the difference between a 5 and a 4 star review.

jailorjailor

GlendaloughGlendalough

Note the flat screen TV / InternetNote the flat screen TV / Internet

Glendalough Stone ChurchGlendalough Stone Church

Marriott Hotel Questions...

by Sagespot

I'm one of those cheap type people who try and save a buck or two when they can - as such I've acquired enough Marriott points for a free eight day stay in Ireland. I'd like to go in perhaps Jan. or Feb. of 2007, but perhaps as soon as late November this year.

I was wondering if anyone had anything good or bad to say about the following three hotels:

1. Marriott Johnstown House Hotel & Spa Enfield, County Meath
2. Marriott Druids Glen Hotel & Country Club, Wicklow County
3. Courtyard Galway, Galway

My husband and I are really interested in seeing castles and things of a more historical nature, than standard touristy type spots. Would one location be better than another?

Addtionally, if I could throw in a rather strange type question: I've got pink hair and several facial piercings. I found these attributes to be a problem when in Prague last winter (as they were seen to be "lower class," according to my hotel's concierge,) and was wondering if such body modifications and hair color are looked down upon in Ireland or the Irish culture.

Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks a ton.

Cheers -
Sage

RE: Marriott Hotel Questions...

by Beausoleil

Sounds like the hotel needs a new concierge!

If you feel uncomfortable, remove some piercings and wear a wig for the duration. It's no big deal. Personally, I wouldn't worry about what a concierge thought. It's pretty lower class to call someone lower class . . .

Comments