The Old Presbytery

The Fairgreen, Rathdrum, Wicklow, Ireland
The Old Presbytery
Priceline.com Booking.com eDreams

More about Wicklow

joan feels at homejoan feels at home

This folly comes with cannon and a view!This folly comes with cannon and a view!

Upper lakeUpper lake

Brook Lodge ReceptionBrook Lodge Reception

Travel Tips for Wicklow

Wicklow Tip

by sabsi

Scenario: Breakfast in the B&B (see Tourist Trap!). 4 Germans around a dirty table. Looking forward to breakfast after a cold sleepless night. Loud noise (fire alarm?)from the kitchen.

The cups are upside down and so dirty they stick to the saucers. Oli decides to go upstairs and clean them. In that moment Mrs Dunne comes from the kitchen with the tea - ready to pour it into our cups. No cups!

Good that I am a good liar in situations like this. I say 'He's upstairs getting some medicine' (yeh, right! For all four of us!).

We finish breakfast as quickly as possible, bacon was turned into stone. We better run ....

Anyone for a swim...?

by sangietair

Born in a place surrounded by sea and mountains, for me, the sea means serenity and calm, the mountains mean life and peace. The week before I went on this trip, I met a girl on holiday from Dublin. Once she found out I was going to her home place and found out how passionate I am for being near the sea, she suggested I go to Brittas Bay. When we arrived we parked in the car park for 5E and walked along the dunes to this 5km stretch of beautiful white sand dunes and clean beach. The plan was to make a stop on our way down to Waterford and have lunch at Brittas Bay but... we didn't see a place where you could have something to eat or have a cup of coffee, so I would suggest, if you are thinking about going for the day you take some sandwiches with you and make the time to take it all in. It is a very picturesque place of natural beauty. As my friend Claire proudly mentioned, this beach won a European Union Blue Flag (the international emblem for the highest quality beach areas in Europe.) I couldn't agree more... ideal for swimming, providing it's warm or just go for it... take a walk and admire the wildlife species if lucky, and admire its delicate plants.

No doubt this is a very popular place for day tripping Dubliners etc., but I would not have known about it if it weren't for Claire. I imagine it would also get quite busy on good sunny days, so not sure if the parking would be a problem.

See Powerscourt Estate

by Kay_C

This was once a castle built in the 1300's that was transformed into a mansion in 1731. The house itself is spectacular, but even more so are the beautiful gardens that stretch out for 45 acres. The view of the Wicklow Mountains makes you incredibly envious of anyone who ever lived here. Nearby is the Powerscourt Waterfall, the tallest in Ireland - a must see!

The Round Tower - St. Kevin's

by saraheg77

The Round Tower is part of the monastic sites in Glendalough. It was very interesting. It basically served as a watch tower. Notice how there is an entry door several feet above ground level. There used to be stairs that led up to the door.

Avoca

by Ruai

Avoca is a pretty village that became very well known as the real star of the british TV series Ballykissangel a few years ago. As such it was buried under bus loads of day-tripers who wanted to see the various locations used in the series. This rsuh has now eased and you can get back to enjoying the real village.

Asides from the village itself, top local attraction is the original Avoca handweavers location. This company, starting from this rustic location, has come to dominate the Irish heritage industry provding a wide range of good quality (if expensive) clothes, food and knickknacks in a number of locations in Wicklow (Powerscourt, Kilmacanogue and here at the old Mill in Avoca, www.avoca.ie ) and elsewhere in Ireland. Its hard not to be seduced by their approach . . .

Well known beauty spot, the Meeting of the Waters is nearby and well worth a visit (tho no longer as peaceful as it used to be)

Last but not least the village boasts a Greek restaurant, the Greek Vine Bistro, which I've heard is good though havn't been in! As there are only a handful in Greek restaurants in Ireland and I have a soft spot for all things Greek, will have to try this out soon :-)

Comments