Ireland Hotels

Our Members Say

• hopang profile photo hopang
  • Reviews: 1349

Hotel Castle in Dublin: A three star basic hotel

Hotel Castle in Dublin sounds like living in a castle, but the name may be deceiving. It is rather a three star hotel with basic facilities. It has approximately 100 rooms spread over four levels. We are fortunate enough to get a room on the 4th floor, so it is not really noisy from the traffic below as the room windows are not sound proof. However we still managed to have good night sleep throughout our stay in the hotel except for the first night. Bear in mind that the hotel rooms are not air-conditioned.

Hotel Castle were renovated from perhaps two or three old Georgian buildings as you may have to walk a few stairs up and down even on the fourth floor where we were staying. The hotel building certainly has high ceilings and creaky floors. Nevertheless the floors are covered with beautiful carpets.

The facilities in the rooms include coloured television, hair dryer, coffee/tea making facilities, wardrobe and telephone. The facilities are basic but we were satisfied with our stay as we just wanted to have good night sleep. The rooms are cleaned every day and fresh towels are replaced each day.

The free full Irish breakfast served at Castle Vaults is certainly delicious. The waitresses will bring your warmly cooked breakfast direct to your table together with hot tea or coffee. The services from the hotel staff are certainly impeccable. They make you feel at home. We are certainly satisfied with our stay at Hotel Castle and will not hesitate to come back to this hotel if and when we visit Dublin again.

Irish traditional musics are played at Castle Vaults of the hotel from Thursday to Sunday night between 9.00 p.m. and 12.00 midnight during the summer months. Of course you can enjoy a couple of drinks especially Irish whisky or Guiness at the bar. Another plus point for the hotel is its location. It is just a few minutes form O'Connell Street.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Photography
  • Written August 30, 2013

Hotel Castle in Dublin

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3550

CARRICKDALE HOTEL: A GREAT PLACE BETWEEN BELFAST AND DUBLIN

I stayed at the Carrickdale when I was working across the border in Northern Ireland. You get a lot more for your money on this side and the Carrickdale is an excellent business hotel. It is a very large building and grounds, with a huge leisure complex across the main motorway. Don’t worry – they have their one internal tunnel between the 2 parts of the complex. I was greeted warmly and shown to a very large and functional room. My bed was reasonable, my TV worked and I had room to stuff my own liquids into the mini-bar. The bathroom was modern, had good toiletries, a bath and a very good shower. In terms of sleeping, I had absolute silence at night. The hotel is away from the busy motorway, but do ask for a room on the back.

The restaurant was excellent. The portions were very large and they had many filling dishes. I normally try and go out of dinner, but the meals and menu were good enough to stay in the hotel. Even their wines were good.

The staff at reception, the bar and the restaurant were always helpful and accommodating. The staff in the leisure complex even offered the services of personal trainers and spa treatments.

Essentially the Carrickdale is a well-run hotel that is very convenient for Newry and the ,motorway between Dublin and Belfast. You are also just a few miles from the scenic medieval village of Carlingford. For a business person or a family, you will get a great service and a restful stay here. Well done Carrickdale!

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• 105 Rooms (double, twin, family and 3 suites)
• Spa, Laser Clinic & Beauty Treatments
• Leisure facilities including an indoor pool and gym
• Carrick Restaurant with 2 & 3 course Table d’hôtel and A Là Carte Menu, good wine list
• Dales Lounge with draft ales and a good bar menu
• Carvery Lunch every day

ROOMS:
• Tea & coffee making facilities
• Free Wi-Fi
• Iron and ironing board
• Free use of the leisure facilities
• Mini bar

LEISURE FACILITIES
• 17.5 metre indoor heated pool, sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi, and outdoor hot tub
• Serenity Spa - Germain de Capuccini treatments
• 9 Hole mini golf, fully equipped Technogym, exercise studio, classes, swimming lessons

• Related to: Disabilities, Family Travel, Business Travel
  • Written July 30, 2013

CARRICKDALE HOTEL, DUNDALK

• Paulm1987 profile photo Paulm1987
  • Reviews: 22

Maldron Hotel Tallaght: Affordable and Comfortable

Maldron Hotel has a number Hotels around Dublin, I think they 've got three in the City centre and One in Tallaght as well. I am not sure about other cities but It will all depend on your affordability and convenience. I chose The one in Tallaght because of the Price,Facilities and convenience as well was good. It was easy to access the City centre with the TRAM (LUAS).Only 10 - 20 minutes to Dublin City Centre with the TRAM. So transport was not a Problem.

The facilities were good but I think they needed some upgrade and renovations. Free access of WIFI was a bonus. The heated indoor swimming pool and Jacuzzi was great, there is also Gym.

There is a resturant at Hotel but I only ate twice if i remember well, I ate Full Irish Breakfast one morning and I loved it but I still think eating at the Hotel was a bit expensive.
Maldron Hotel Tallaght is 5 minutes walk to the Shopping centre (Tallaght square). So it was convenient for me.

The heated indoor swimming pool and Jacuzzi were good, the Pool is spacious a bit Huge as well.There is Gymnasium as well. my room had a little Balcony but the view wasn't great because my room was in the inside of the building. Maybe the people in the rooms facing the street and the Hills had great views.

• Related to: Business Travel, Family Travel, Food and Dining
  • Written June 20, 2013

Maldron Hotel in Tallaght

• hotelie1970 profile photo hotelie1970

Heatons Guest House: Outstanding B&B in Dingle Town, Ireland

Heatons Guest House is a luxurious B&B in Dingle Town, County Kerry. Since we booked our room the day before arriving the only available room was a Junior Suite. This extremely large room overlooking Dingle Bay, was tastefully furnished, large and had a king size bathroom with a stall shower and a Jacuzzi bath. The main attraction at Heatons however is the gourmet breakfast experience. With a breakfast menu that was several pages long, one could choose from waffles, a variety of omelettes, smoked salmon or kippers, fruit porridge, cheese souffles. In case that wasn't enough there is also a buffet of home baked breads and scones, cereals, dried and fresh fruit to get your day going. All of this is prepared by the owner's son David under the watchful eye of his sister who is a trained chef. I highly recommend Heatons Guest House for a splurge on your Irish vacation.

Clean well appointed and furnished rooms; outstanding gourmet breakfasts; friendly and helpful innkeepers; great location to tour the Dingle Peninsula.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Food and Dining, Family Travel
  • Written June 18, 2013

Heatons Guesthouse on Dingle Bay, Dingle Town, IE

• thetravelling.kiwi profile photo thetravelling.kiwi
  • Reviews: 3

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Fleet Street Hotel: Great Location at Temple Bar

The Fleet Street Hotel in Temple Bar is perfectly located in the heart of Dublin City Centre. This Three Star Temple Bar hotel is an ideal base to enjoy affordable Dublin City Centre Hotel accommodation. In the bustling Temple Bar district of Dublin, the newly refurbished Fleet Street Hotel is just 100 metres from the River Liffey. With private bathrooms, each room at Fleet Street Hotel includes free tea and coffee in the room, along with a hair dryer and telephone. Guests can relax with a drink in O’Sullivan’s, the hotel’s traditional Irish pub. Hearty and freshly prepared food is also available. Free Wi-Fi is available in public areas, and guests can make use of luggage storage facilities at the hotel
The Fleet Street 3-star Hotel Temple Bar is in close proximity for both corporate and leisure guests alike with the hotel in walking distance of the IFSC, Convention Centre Dublin, O2 and Grand Canal Theatre. In addition, it is less than a 5 minute walk from the iconic Trinity College Dublin. Central O’Connell Street and the shops of Grafton Street are both only five minutes away on foot. Dublin Castle is 15 minutes’ walk from the hotel, while the Olympia Theatre is also a five-minute walk away.
The traditional Irish Pub, The Palace is next door and is a great place to enjoy an Irish whiskey with the locals.

It's location and friendly staff are it's main attributes

• Related to: Family Travel, Castles and Palaces, Museum Visits
  • Written May 14, 2013

Dublin Strret Art

• thetravelling.kiwi profile photo thetravelling.kiwi
  • Reviews: 3

Ballyseede Castle: Southern Ireland's Best Castle

A visit to Ireland should include a stay at an Irish Castle and the 4-star Ballyseede Castle is an ideal choice. Not only is it well located but its pricing will surprise you, as I found it to be inexpensive. It has a 4-star rating but the service is 6-star and the staff are well-versed in local destinations and are extremely helpful when you plan your daily excursions.
Ballyseede Castle Hotel in Tralee, County Kerry offers luxury accommodation in 23 elegant rooms located over three floors and all within the original Castle. The Bedrooms are elegant and spacious and come in a large variety from mini-suites to large family rooms, deluxe four posters and superior rooms.
The en-suites have power showers, hair dryers, and the toiletries are from the Gilchrist and Soames spa therapy range. All rooms provide beautiful warm cotton robes for each guest.
The fantastic corridor, known as “Paddy's Way”, where each room is named after famous Irish Paddys. Have a flutter by staying in the Paddy Power room or be enchanted with poetry in the Paddy Kavanagh room. Sing a tune in the Paddy Clancy Room or maybe the art of horse training will rub off in the Paddy Prendergast room. What were once stables for the horses on the estate have been beautifully transformed into luxurious well-appointed rooms.
Enjoy the highest level of comfort, privacy and service. Each visit will be treasured as all rooms offer the ultimate in relaxation, each with its own unique character.
The Castle stands on its own grounds at the end of a winding carriage drive. This elegant Castle looks as if it were built to outlive the vices and follies of man. It has been fought over, lived in and loved, and carries forward its ancient grandeur to this age. Ballyseede Castle was the chief garrison of the legendary Fitzgerald’s, Earls of Desmond, many of whom refused to swear allegiance to the crown, which resulted in the infamous Geraldine Wars that continued intermittently for three centuries and concluded with the beheading of Gerald, 16th Earl, in the Demesne of Ballyseede and whose head was exhibited in a cage on London Bridge
Following the defeat of the Desmoids in 1584, the Castle plus 3,000 acres of land was granted as a perpetual lease to Robert Blennerhassett, the rent being one red rose to be presented each year on Midsummer’s Day. This noble family and their descendants occupied Ballyseede until 1966.
Ballyseede Castle is a large three-story block over a basement, with two curved bows on the entrance front and another bow at the south side and a battlemented parapet. Inside the impressive lobby, Doric columns lead to an elegant wooden bifurcating staircase of fine oak joinery, which is almost unique in Ireland.
There are two magnificent drawing rooms with cornices plasterwork, adorned by marble fireplaces, which are ideal to have afternoon tea or morning coffee. The gracious dining room overlooks the front lawn with its ancient oaks. Dinner is served nightly from 7pm to 9pm. In the library bar there is a great-carved oak chimneypiece over a mantle that dates back to 1627. There is a splendid Banqueting Hall where feastings and entertainment were carried out in a grand manner.
We began each day in the Stone Room Restaurant where breakfast was served. We had the choice of locally sourced produce, Irish cheeses, pastries and meats and a selection from a wide variety of fruits and juices from the buffet table. Our main course was chosen from the menu and while having breakfast the ever-helpful staff advised us interesting places that we could visit on our daily trips. Here breakfast was not to be rushed, enjoyed whilst chatting to other guests that we had befriended.
The Library Bar is the all-day dining option serving soups, salads, snacks and an extensive charcoal grill menu throughout the day. We spent an evening in the relaxing company of other guests gathered around the fire discussing the day’s journeys and enjoying a homemade minted lamb burger on a floury bap served with a cucumber-yoghurt-dip, salad and handcut fries and a traditional beef and Guinness casserole - tender strips of beef and root vegetables, simmered in a rich Guinness and rosemary gravy, finished with baby potatoes and washed down with a Guinness.
The O’Connell Restaurant at Ballyseede Castle is unique for serving beautiful food in magnificent surroundings. One can have the choice of a two or five course dinner, be forewarned, if you are going to the five-course dinner, have a light lunch, so that you will be able to really savour the superb dinner. The refined Irish cuisine using locally sourced seasonal ingredients was complemented by an extensive list of fine wines and spirits.
The evening we had dinner in the O’Connell restaurant I had homemade chicken liver and brandy parfait with port jelly, Cumberland and orange sauce and Melba toast for starters, followed by vegetable soup enriched with cream and garden herbs. My main course was a duo of roast rack of Kerry lamb and braised shoulder with crispy lamb sweet breads on an herb stuffing, celeriac puree and a rich lamb jus. My sumptuous dessert was vanilla meringue layered with fresh strawberries, whipped cream and crème Anglaise.
Ballyseede is perfectly located to enjoy some of the best of Irish scenery and history. The Ring of Kerry, the Ring of Beara on the Dingle Peninsula, Killarney National Park, Muckross House, Ross castle, Torc waterfall and the Black Valley are all nearby and make for fabulous day trips.

As a travel writer I have stayed in some magnificent hotels, such as the Mount Nelson in Cape Town, Amansara in Cambodia and King Edward in Toronto, but these were one of the advantages of my profession – they were gratis. Ballyseede is unreservedly the best money-for-value hotel I have stayed in. I had one complaint about Ballyseede – I had to leave.

Nothing in this world is perfect – but Ballyseede Castle comes close.

The staff are very helpful in advising the places of interest one can visit. They are very knowledgeable and of great assistance.

• Related to: Food and Dining, Castles and Palaces, Hiking and Walking
  • Written May 9, 2013

Ballyseede Castle

Abbey Court, Dublin

Before coming to Dublin I was looking for a hostel with a female dorm, which also had lookers in the room. Abbey Court had that so that is where I booked a bed, in a six-bed female dorm. The price for one night was 24 Euro (March 2013) and breakfast was included.

I was a bit worried it was going to be a noisy place, as it was Saturday night, it is close to Temple Bar and the guests seem to be quite young. After checking in it also turned out that the dorm was situated on the first floor (not the ground floor), with a window facing the street and River Liffey, and next door there was a pub which was going to play live music until quite late. However, it was not bad at all, everyone in the dorm was quiet and there was no disturbing noise from the corridor. When I went to sleep I could hear the music from the pub, but not too loud. I was very tired and slept very well.

I had been told that breakfast was served between 8 – 9.30, but when I came down to the kitchen around 7 in the morning it was almost ready and I just waited a few minutes. For breakfast there were cereals or muesli with milk, toast or other bread with butter and jam, juice and coffee and tea.

Abbey Court is a large hostel and as I din’t spend much time there I didn’t see it all. There is supposed to be a cinema room, a hammock room and games room, besides the kitchen and common room that I saw. There is free Wi-Fi.

The location is very good and central. And one good thing for me was that the bus I arrived with from Galway stopped only a one-minute walk from the hostel.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written April 6, 2013

Dorm at Abbey Court

Letterfrack Lodge

I had emailed Letterfrack Lodge to make a reservation a few weeks before coming. I reserved a bed in a female dorm for three nights and it was 18 Euro per night (February 2013). I stayed in a dorm, but there are also private rooms with or without bathroom.

In the reception of Letterfrack Lodge there is a telephone and a telephone number to the owner Mike. So when I arrived I called and Mike arrived within a few minutes so that I could check in. I was the only guest in the dorm for all three nights and I got a key to it so it was like having a private room. The room was clean and there was a bathroom with hot water in the shower, but the room was very cold. There were no reading lights and the lamp in the roof was not very bright.

I used the kitchen in the evening and sat in the common room eating. There are also sofas and a TV there. Breakfast is not included in the price so I had bought my own, but they served breakfast anyway the two first mornings I was there. As I had my own breakfast I ate from that but I drank the freshly brewed coffee that was provided, and instant coffee for the last morning when no breakfast was prepared. In the evening it was very cold in the common room, like in the dorm where I stayed, but someone staying in one of the private rooms said it was warmer there.

During my stay there were only a few more guests staying at the lodge, a few workers working temporary at Kylemore Abbey and one couple arriving one evening. Everyone else seemed to go out to eat at the pubs in the evenings.

Letterfrack Lodge is situated just 1-2 minutes’ walk from where the buses stop in Letterfrack.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written March 24, 2013

Letterfrack Lodge

Clifden Town Hostel, Clifden

I arrived to Clifden already at 9.15 and realised it was probably too early to check in, but hoped I could put my luggage in a storage room while walking the Sky Road. I entered Clifden Town Hostel but didn’t see anyone. At the reception there was a telephone and a telephone number to call, so I did so. I was told that I could put my luggage in the lounge opposite. There was no locked storage room and as the hostel was open and anyone could go into the lounge I didn’t feel comfortable about leaving my backpack there. I called back and was told I could put the bag in the dorm after check-out time at 11. Meanwhile I took a short walk around town and went to a café.

At 11o’clock I could put my backpack in a dorm. It was a four-bed dorm facing Market Street. There were no lockers in the room and no reading light. What was very god in the evening was that the room was warm (until then I had been freezing inside every hostel since I came to Ireland). The bathroom and showers were down the corridor. There was no key to the room and that was one thing I didn’t like as there were no lockers either.

When I was at Clifden Town Hostel in the morning I had seen as much as five people, all were checking out that morning. When I came back I didn’t see anyone, no guests and no staff until the next morning when the woman running the place arrived just as finished breakfast. I went early to bed but didn’t like the fact that I seemed to be alone in this unlocked building (they lock the front door later at night).

There is a common room and a kitchen. Breakfast is not included but in the kitchen there is coffee and tea to use.

For one night I paid 18 Euro (March 2013).

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written March 18, 2013

Clifden Town Hostel

Kinlay House Hostel, Galway

I booked a dorm bed at Kinlay Hostel a few weeks before coming to Galway. The reason I chose Kinlay Hostel is because the location seemed to be good, they had got good reviews, they had female dorms with lookers and breakfast was included.

Kinlay Hostel is a large hostel with a big variety of dorms and private rooms. I stayed in a 6-bed female dorm with a bathroom. The toilet and shower was in the bathroom but the sink was in the dorm (which I didn’t like). Where I slept there was no reading light but at the two other bunk beds there were. Linen is provided and under the bed there were lookers. For the lookers you need your own padlock.

There is a kitchen which was very busy in the evening. In the morning you can’t use the kitchen, but the hostel serves a good and well organized breakfast which is included in the price. There were bread and scones, butter and jam, cereals and muesli, milk and juice, coffee and tea, and apples. I’m not sure at what time breakfast is served, but one morning I came to the kitchen already at 7am and it was ready.

There is a chill out area, and besides free Wi-Fi there are three computers to use, which I liked as I don’t have a laptop or iPad and I don’t bring my phone when I travel.

At the hostel you can book tours to Cliffs of Moher and to Connemara.

I paid 19 Euro per night (February 2013).

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written March 17, 2013

Kinlay House Hostel, Galway

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3550

RIVERBANK HOUSE: IT'S CHEAP IN CORK

This place is cheap by local standards and very well located. That’s it for the better points. Most of the Cork city centre is flat and a short walk. Interestingly it is actually very quiet on the main road out front on the weekends. The not so good points: dingy (but clean), breakfast could be better, mattresses are poor and it could do with a remodel. Oh well, you do get plenty of hot water and it is cheap. It is just opposite the Skylink bus stop where you can ride the bus to the airport.

• Related to: Adventure Travel, Budget Travel, Zoo
  • Written August 21, 2012

RIVERBANK HOUSE - CORK

• java1994 profile photo java1994

Tudor Lodge: Sweet B&B in Bunratty Ireland

The owner is a really sweet lady who is always up for a chat. Carmel is very welcoming and really keeps everything clean and tidy. She cooks a great breakfast. My husband and I loved this place so we stayed an extra night. It is just up the road from Bunratty Castle. Not too close and not too far away either. We like quiet and clean and this fit the bill for us. I would stay here again definately. All the rooms are en suite and there are about 6 of them. they are all a good size too and everything is on the first floor. Beautiful grounds to in case you just want to hang out for a bit in the back yard and maybe have a beer or a cup of tea.
It cost us 60Euro for the night.

Very clean. good breakfast, filling and delicious. Excellent host. Very welcoming.

• Related to: Road Trip, Castles and Palaces, Family Travel
  • Written August 14, 2012

• gerbogan profile photo gerbogan

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Oakwood Arms Hotel, Shannon, Co. Clare: Disappointed ruined weekend

We arrived at the hotel yesterday evening and booked in. When we went down to our rooms, they were across the hall from each other. I went back to reception to tell the receptionist about the mistake and she got the Manager. He was very rude and said that they don't do interconnecting rooms for Boards Deals and that he had given the room away. I explained that I was told we could have the two rooms together and he point blank said no they never do it. I explained that our baby wakes a lot at night and we couldn't be fumbling with card keys every time we had to go to her and that I wasn't comfortable having her across the hall where I could not hear her. He walked away to the back room and didn't even apologies for the mistake. Another member of staff tried to smooth things over and offer us interconnecting rooms the 2nd night of our stay which I could not agree to. They had no other option available to us so we had to leave. Our weekend was completely ruined and we had to drive back home.

We were customers to the hotel and no matter how we paid for our rooms, we should not have been treated differently because of how we paid.

• Written August 5, 2012

• Bluedawg1968 profile photo Bluedawg1968
  • Reviews: 7

San Antonio B&B: Musical B&B in Kinsale

The San Antonio is a 200-year-old house, pain-stakenly looked after by Jimmie Conron. There are five newly remodeled rooms. They are very spacious, and each one has it's own bathroom. Both the room and the bathroom were very clean. There were plenty of towels, and a hairdryer.

There is secure parking (although a little tight) in front of the house.

Jimmie's "Full-Irish" Breakfast was, in my opinion, THE best breakfast I had in Ireland.

In May 2011, I paid e40 per night. Prices are now (I believe)
Sb e50-55, Db e75-80, Tb e100-110, cash only

I would definately recommend staying here. I stayed two nights, and will definately stay here again when I return to Kinsale.

The B&B is in a great location. It's not in the middle of everything, so it's very quiet. Just walk down the hill, and you're in the middle of town.
There are pamphlets and brochures on all Kinsale has to offer in the main hall, but if you want some recommendations, just ask Jimmie. He knows his way around, and is more than willing to suggest a thing or two.
And if you like traditional Irish music, just ask him when and where he'll be playing next. When I was there, he and Michael (Michael Ahern) were playing at the Spaniard Inn on Monday nights.

• Related to: Photography, Castles and Palaces, Historical Travel
  • Written May 18, 2012

San Antonio B&B

• Bluedawg1968 profile photo Bluedawg1968
  • Reviews: 7

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Butler Court: Dog-friendly B&B in Kilkennny

Butler Court is a very nice place to stay. Although it is centrally located, it has a very quiet atmosphere. The rooms are bright, clean, and comfortable. Plenty of room for two. Enough hot water, and towels. They offer a continental breakfast which consists of cereal, fruit, juice, coffee or tea. It is wheel-chair accessible. There is Wi-Fi. No parking. However, they will validate overnight parking in a nearby multistory garage on Ormonde Street. There is a front gate which they close at night. Only guests can get in. A nice security feature.

We only stayed one night, but I would definately recommend it.

(Sb-E60-110, Db-E90-130, family room or Tb-E100-160). This was actually the most expensive place we stayed at in Ireland. Including Dublin.
We paid E120 incl. tax for a Saturday night.

I made reservations at Butler Court before leaving for Ireland (through email). Yvonne (co-owner with husband John), always emailed back promptly. Upon arriving, her and John were very friendly and helpful. Yvonne helped us plan our time in Kilkenny. She called, and reserved us spots at the Smithwick's Brewery Tour.
There is a lovely little courtyard in the middle of the building.
Then there's Bob... a rescued sheep dog that has full reign of the premises. Honestly, I think he's the main attraction.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average