Delphi Valley, Leenane, Ireland
Expedia.com Booking.com Tingo.com

More about Delphi Mountain Resort & Spa

Fantastic Experience

by TripAdvisor Member MeemoC

I spent a fabulous weekend in Delphi Mountain Resort last weekend. The location is stunning at the foot of Mweelrea mountain, near Killery Harbour. I was in a group of 16 who were there for an activity weekend. Between us all we did surfing, Kayaking, high ropes, zip wire and walking. The instructors were excellent, in particular James who organised it all for us. The hotel itself is very relaxing - the bedrooms are very comfortable, some of the group stayed in the luxury suites and they certainly lived up to their name! The food is fabulous, in particular the evening meal. I had scallops and prawns to die for! The chef Ger came out to say hello which was a nice touch. Overall the experience was fantastic - I will definately be back. Next time I will save some time for a seaweed bath I hope!

won't be returning

by TripAdvisor Member EPHOLIAN

Our experience at Delphi is over-shadowed by our very average restaurant experience. We had high hopes for both the food and the service, it being a 4 star hotel with restaurant prices to match but we were very, very disappointed.

The service was extremely slow and inexperienced with no interaction from the staff whatsoever. Our white wine was not placed in a cooler, nor were we asked if we wanted to taste it. Nobody asked at any stage if we were happy with the food, either while we were eating or when they were collecting the plates. Nothing was said other than the names of the dishes. The food was average, I had eaten in a Leenane restaurant the previous night and the service and food was far superior to Delphi.

To make a bad experience worse, my husband then suffered through a horrible bout of food poisoning that we can contribute to nothing else but the mussels he was served as a starter at the Delphi Mountain Resort restaurant.

For the price: Eur42 for 2 course or Eur55 for 3 courses (how can a tiny creme brulee be worth Eur13!!!), it is just not worth it, particularly when there is a rowdy hen party in the room next door, ensuring our magnificent view of the mountains was spoiled by smokers wearing pink bunny-ears and throwing their cigarette butts over the side of the deck area to pollute the beautiful surroundings.

Delphi have alot to sort out, and we have no intention of returning or recommending this hotel to anyone.

The best week end in years!

by TripAdvisor Member RitaMor

I was told a few weeks ago I was being taken away and I needed to pack my outdoor gear, swim wear and a nice dress for the evening,,, I didn't have a clue where I was going! One Friday we hopped in the car and drove to Connemara. Delphi Mountain Resort is located in the middle of the most gorgeous scenery, just like a post card! We had been booked in for a weekend break with activities, spa treatments, dinners etc. If this wasn't surprise enough - I got one the next morning! My boyfriend had booked us to do surfing in the morning and climbing and abseiling after lunch. I have never surfed in my life!! We had such a blast - BELIEVE ME! The instructors were so funny and patient, taugh me to surf a bit and most importantly knew what they were doing. The climbing was such a laugh and we got so into all the outdoor stuff we even went kayking the next day before we checked out. The spa treatments were wonderfull. I had a sea weed bath and a facial. We were so tired at the end of the day we barely made it to dinner. I'm so happy we did though as if you are looking for a romantic place with great food - girls this is your place! All and all we had a wonderful time. The room was fabulous with its own balcony and huge huge huge bed and bath tub. The staff was friendly and approachable. I would recommend this place to anyone, anytime and for any type of holiday! My sister is bringing her family there later this summer and they are going to have so much fun!

We found our heaven in Delphi

by TripAdvisor Member MaryGalwayNUI

I am a lecturer in NUI Galway and have travelled a fair bit around the world and as a result am not very impressed with the current craze in Ireland for me-too androdgenous hotels all over the place, and we have found the attitude to children, in the main, to be most offputting. So in general we are not big fans of holidaying at home.

Anyway, we were recommended Delphi Mountain Resort by a collegue who had been down there on a department field trip/ team building trip in April. I was a little reluctant, but we decided to book a long weekend for me, hubby, and 2 kids (11 & 13) to celebrate our 15th wedding annversary.

Having checked out the Delphi website on numerous occasions to get the full lowdown on our trip I have to say we were pretty excited about the holiday. We booked the 2 bedroom suite option so we could all be in the same unit for the holiday. I was a more than a little taken aback however by the one of the recent reviews here, especially as we were planning a family adventure weekend.

My expectations were high but peppered with some trepidation. I can say the holiday was unquestionably the best short break vacations our family has ever had. And I mean it!! Well, in fairness, the weather was amazing, but the total delphi experience was fantastic. First of all the suite was very large, 2 floors and nice furniture. The kids slept upstairs and we were in the kingsize downstairs which ment we all had a little space which made for a much more relaxing time than the usual "family room" nonsense we have suffered in many a hotel. The most unusual thing about the suite was, wait for it, no TV. Yes No TV. I can safely say this is the first time in the living memory of my childrens lives that they have had no access to a telly for 3 consecutive days. After the initial cold turkey period they settled into the groove.

We went for 2 full days of activities which was actually a full day surfing (as the kids insisted on this one) on the saturday. It was all of our first time and the instructor, Ian, was very helpful and easy going and got in on the craic with us. The second day we did a kayak trip in the fijord which was good fun, albeit a little less adrenelin pumping than the saturday. Hubby and kids went for the high ropes on sun afternoon and I retreated to the Spa. Well a seaweed bath and a full body massage later and I was loving this place. The spa is like a totally different planet. Very relaxed. I had to book the slot before I got there as they are pretty strict on the numbers, but it was well worth it.

We ate in the bar area on the sat night, nice and simple and retreated to the suite for some attempts at board games (great fun). We decided to go the whole hog on sunday night and ate in the main restaurant. All of us are big seafood fans and were most happy to hear they get thier fish every morning locally, so we all opted for the fish option, mine was shrimp, hubby monkfish. The dinner was suberb. Well worth it and it really topped off a great weekend.

We headed back to Galway on Monday morning having had a really great, fun, and adventurous getaway. I have to take my hat off to the people at Delphi, every step of the way of our stay we were made feel at home and really well looked after, We all commented on the way back home at the utter uniqueness of the place. I admire what they are doing there, a proper, genuine 100% Connemara adventure resort. We will be back, but first I have to convince my Professor of the need for a team building trip to Delphi for our department!

This place made me feel proud to be Irish! Ten out of ten.

Delphi Heaven - Resort - Hell

by TripAdvisor Member ScreenqueenIreland

Just back from Delphi & logged on here to check if I was the only one having problems with the place, all the reviews from 2008 are 100% accurate, reviews from 2005 are from when it was previously owned.
It appears to me that the people who run Delphi bought the premises and moved their ideals into it, regardless of who their customer is. I don't believe they are 'eco - friendly' I just believe they don't want to offer choice to the customer as it will then cost them money.
We arrived to a 'grungy' welcome, staff member in 'hoody'. We had booked a television for our room as we believe it is our choice as to how we want to spend our leisure time - no tv present on arrival. we had booked a dinner as it was part of our package, wrote 3 emails to confirm - no mention of our booking on both nights - having said that, we did get a table and dinner and staff were lovely.
There is no information in the hotel about activities or spa treatments or hotel offerings, they may say that that is because they are carbon neutral, however a framed poster in bedrooms would suffice or even one in the hall. Staff were not willing to help - so we didn't partake in either and just ate and slept there.
Staff were bickering in the bar, addressing patrons in a very casual manner.
I could go on and on but suffice to say that Delphi just doesn't know what it is - it charges 4 star hotel prices but offers less than 2 star service. It is in major identity crisis, frought between offering activities to teenage groups, hen parties etc. and luxury rooms???? Its' claim of 'eco friendly' is completely false, doors to the outside are left open to the elements, towels are washed when not required, no key carded electricity etc.

Totall Refreshed

by TripAdvisor Member fionamurphydublin

Myself and 2 girls went last week for the 2 BB & Dinner break from Delphi's website. We were expecting quite a serene spa experience but this was much more of a activity focussed hotel, which also happened to have a (very impressive) spa. Reluctantly I agreed to try surfing and although I failed to get standing on the board I have to concede that the experience was exhilirating. The main purpose of our trip was just to chill and get away from it all and the 3 of us to catch up. An unexpected help here was the fact the the mobiles barley work, and for 3 city girls this took some getting used to, but after the first day it was liberating not to be checking the b berry every few mins. We were there about 4 years ago and the new managent have buit on more rooms and extended the spa, but the main change is in the mood of the place. It seems to be deliberatly low key and informal, which although it was not what we expected, it was a welcome change from most of todays machine like places. The food was very good. I had grilled shrimp to start and was all has the sea bass, very impressive. The bar has a limited menu so we opted for some pink champagne, which turned out to be a nice touch to finish off our day of "surf n spa". We took it pretty easy the next day, lazy breakfast and had a stroll down to the visually impressive killary fijord before heading back to dublin on the train from westport. Delphi was not what we anticipated, being 3 seasoned spa junkies we were looking forward to a couple of days of pamper me auto pilot, but we ended up trying a surf lesson for the first time ever. We came home on the train feeling like we had a proper break. Urban buzz this was not, rural recharge it was. Interesting mix of action and relaxing which I would not have gone for initially, but on reflection it was the break I really needed. Totally refreshed.

Disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member DublinTaz77

I would agree with some of the previous reviews - this hotel doesn't know what it is trying to be or what market it is aiming for.

On the plus side, the hotel is in a beautiful location. The rooms are well decorated and the staff were friendly and helpful. The food was lovely.

However, we paid 4 star hotel prices (@ €100 per person per night) and expected 4 star service. But we didn't get it.

A couple of incidents to highlight this - the weather was bad when we stayed there and our clothes were wet after we went out walking. Neither the radiators in the bedroom or the bathroom would turn on. I called reception and was told that the central thermostat would have to be turned on for the radiators to work. They said they would turn it on while we were out of the room having dinner. Arrived back from dinner and guess what? Sopping wet clothes and no sign of heat. Same thing was repeated next day and I didn't bother asking again.

Now, this would be acceptable in a warm climate but this is the West of Ireland! Even in summer, its highly likely that people will have to dry wet clothes (even if its only a swimsuit after using the spa). You should be able to turn on the radiator yourself if you want to.

On the second day, we arrived back in the evening and the room hadn't been cleaned. Spoke to housekeeping who said it would be done while we were at the spa, but when we got back it still wasn't done. Then they said they would do it while we at dinner but again it wasn't done.

The spa is very relaxing but there is a charge of €20 to use it for an hour. With the price we were paying to stay in the hotel, I would have expected that entry to the sauna, steam room etc would be free. This is the norm in most hotels

As a previous reviewer mentioned, the bar doesn't have a full licence and only serves wine and beer.

All in all, this place could be brilliant but they really need to sort out the details. Its not worth the rates they are charging at the moment.

Rare Gem - Exceed Expectations

by TripAdvisor Member Maureendvn

Myself and my partner are just back from a splendid long weekend in the Wild West. We were so thrilled with our stay at Delphi that we had to post a note here.

The whole expeience from start to finish was magical, right from the moment we drove in the front gate we knew we had arrived at a special place.

The staff are exceptional and could not do enough for us.

We stayed in a luxury suite and wow it was amazing, comfy beds, peace & quiet, massive bath & shower. The no TV policy is a great idea & the lack of mobile phone coverage is a plus as you can totally relax and unwind.

We had dinner both nights of our stay and were spoilt with the choice of local produce and great wine list, it was up there with the best food we have tasted.

We dabbled in the spa and had a Delphi Seaweed bath, both of us are regular spa users and again we were impressed, the bathes are in individual rooms, the tranquil setting and the no rush attitude of the spa staff made it special. The chill out area has spectacular views of the surrounding moutains and forest, the views are simply stunning.

We pretended to be two daredevils and take on some of the adrenalin filled adventure activities, I was a bit of a chicken but I have to say the staff really encouraged and helped me get over my initial fears. The wonderful thing was they were not pushy, they pointed out that is was more mind over matter, I was thrilled I had a go. My partner on the other hand had no bother.

Overall we both felt that Delphi was an excellent choice. The property is fairly new and in our opinion they are doing a great job.

We will definitely be back.

just super!

by TripAdvisor Member tommhz

Ok I dont nornally write reviews but we had such a gerat time at this place (and we had a drink with the manager on Saturday Night )so he asked me to make my opinion known - so here we go .. first off this place is totally unique, fantastic setting and an amazing quirky building of wood and stone, feels like a luxury ski lodge. The food was great , the staff were so friendly and helpful we really felt like we belonged.
The place was full of people mostly like ourselves ( we did a little hill walking and a little spa ) mostly just gettting away.
The service was very cool and relaxed , no question we felt very welcome. The restarunt was very classy. Over all this for me was a truly special experience. Pleasew dont expect a regular radision type hotel in the wilderness, this is far better again all i can say is unique.

magic

by TripAdvisor Member dddWicklow

What a magical place. The minute you walk in the door you feel a sense of calm. The friendly informal staff made us very welcome. The accomodation is spotless and very comfortable, - with balcony overlooking the stunning mountain views. I can only describe the food as exquisit. We had great fun trying the activities, the guides were patient and helpful and very encouraging. We felt really at home there. Delphi really is a gem in the connemara countryside. I will definitely be back. - soon!

Leenane Cultural CentreLeenane Cultural Centre