Admiral House

iaint's Profile Photo

unusual...

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 6, 2011

I was recommended to this place by a local - who had not stayed there but had feedback from clients she had sent there. It is right on the seafront, and also right in the town centre. Easy walking distance to the ferry terminal.

It was tremendous value for money. £80 (Manx £s are the same value as the UK £) inclusive of VAT and a big cooked breakfast. I had a huge room/suite on the executive floor, with a 4 poster bed and a sitting alcove. The bathroom was huge too. The room was well furnished, clean and modern, although the style was a bit idiosyncratic. Hard to describe.

Certainly the finish on wooden tables & other surfaces were worn, and all they needed was a quick re-surface, so disappointing that such a small thing had been allowed to slip.

All the staff I dealt with were foreign (Polish, Czech or Slovak, I'd guess) and all of them were friendly, efficient and helpful.

Breakfast was huge. Bacon, sausages etc if you want, or croissants & cereal.

The hotel has a coffee shop, restaurant & bar. I used the coffee shop once, and it is clearly popular with locals. The restaurant was busy on Saturday night and Sunday lunchtime, but I didn't eat there.

Check out is 11am. When I asked (on Sunday morning) if I could keep the room until 4 (and pay extra) the receptionist agreed as soon as she'd checked it would be empty that night - and no charge. I like that!

Unique Quality: The views; the size of my room; the location; friendly staff

Directions: on the esplanade, right in the town centre

Nearby Admiral House

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Admiral House

• Restaurant

Douglas Travel Forum

Need advice about Douglas, Isle of Man? Visit the Travel Forum for Douglas and ask our Answer Gurus.

Explore Deeper into Douglas