Isle of Man Hotels

Our Members Say

• christine.j profile photo christine.j
  • Reviews: 892

Silvercraigs Hotel: A Room with a View

I had booked a double at the Silvercraigs Hotel in Douglas. It's a small hotel, not part of a chain. All of the staff were very friendly, when the lady at reception saw that I was exhausted when I arrived, she offered my a free drink, which I thought was very nice.

The furniture was antique, very nice, the TV set also, not so nice. I don't usually watch a lot of TV when on holiday, but I like to watch the news. Here, the small portable set was standing on the floor and with a lot of luck and twisting and turning the antenna I could get one channel clear enough to understand the news. I didn't mind too much, but for a family with children who may want to watch some favourite programs this could be a problem.

The bed was higher than usual with a good, firm mattress.Both the bedroom and the bathroom were very clean.

Breakfast was very good, from 8:15 on you could have cereal and fruit juice, from 8:30 to 9:15 there was an excellent buffet with hot breakfast. However, if you wanted to have breakfast outside these times, you were out of luck.

Because they had had some guests who left without paying, they now ask you to pay for the whole stay when arriving. I paid £ 36 when I had the room for single use, and £ 32 per person after my husband had arrived.

I had asked for a room with a seaview and my window was overlooking the promenade and the beach. One morning I was able to watch oyster catchers from my room, something very special for a bird watcher!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written August 21, 2008
Tip Photo

• orlikins profile photo orlikins
  • Reviews: 1189

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Clybane Hotel: Cheap & Central

Handy location on the Central Promenade, it's only a 20 min walk from the ferry port as well. The hotel faces the beach and Douglas Bay. It's definitely not "posh", by any means. It's one of those places with old wallpaper stinking of cigarettes, but I've stayed in much worse places (check out my Riga page for more on that!!)

Unfortunately we had reason to believe that the chambermaids had gone through Carmel's things and took an item of clothing. The management did check it out & took the matter seriously, but no sign of the cardigan.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Backpacking, School Holidays
  • Written April 9, 2003

• leecouk12324 profile photo leecouk12324
  • Reviews: 100

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Camping: Camping

There is a nice campsite at Laxey - i passed it and had a look myself - nice with facilities etc - but maybe for some people too close to houses so cannot be loud and have parties ay night - but nice if peace and quiet is what you want
There are also other excellent campsites at Peel and Kirk Michael on the West of the island.

PS _ For satisfaction i cannot give rating anyway - but i wil say a great experience - sometime in the future i really want to cmap in the Isle of Man - but because i have relatives there i feel it would be rude not to stay with them - however when why relatives had a different home i did camp in the backgarden there which was great
Unfortunately now in new house their back garden is great as an alpine garden (ie it is a mountain slope with no flat bit for a tent

• Written June 26, 2008

• dervish profile photo dervish
  • Reviews: 17

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

hydro hotel douglas: not a great hotel.

booked this hotel without looking at reviews , big mistake. stayed with my 3 kids so we did get 2 fair sized interconnected rooms on 5th floor.1 double bed & 3 singles. while all we needed was there eg: plenty wardrobe space, full lenght mirror ,tv , phone, tea making facilities, it was extremely dated, from very shabby carpets to curtains that were half falling off . must say the beds were very comfy and we did sleep well, no noise. the views were fantastic from this vantage point. also on a good note loads of fresh towels every day, but def didnt like the fact there was carpet in the bathroom, very unhygenic. all in all it would do with a complete cleaning and revamp. to be fair though, it wasnt unbearable . the staff were so nice and made us feel very welcome the food was grand we only ate brekkie there and it was lovely. the fault lies with the owners really in my opinion who really need to update asap

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written March 3, 2007

• kit_mc profile photo kit_mc
  • Reviews: 386

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sefton Hotel: 4 star hotel

The Sefton is a four star hotel that has developed a reputation as one of the classier hotels on the Isle of Man. Rooms are generally fairly generic hotel standard for its class, though some of the rooms on the seafront side are a bit classier.

The hotel also has a very good upmarket restaurant and a cheaper bar that also does meals and snacks.

I have it on very good authority that the spa treatments and massages here are unsurpassed!

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Spa and Resort, Road Trip
  • Written January 1, 2008

Sefton Hotel, Douglas, Isle of Man

• Steve-H profile photo Steve-H
  • Reviews: 506

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Empress Hotel: A proper seafront hotel.

We were on tour at the time and only had one night in the Empress but we were made to feel right at home. The rooms were big and airy and had great views of the beach just across the road. The bar stayed open late just for us (show biz types tend to get in rather late) and the staff were all cheery and helpful, now, what more could you want?

The best thing for me was the view of the beach and the sea, it was early season and the TT races were two weeks away, in a few days no doubt this place would be packed and we had in mostly to ourselves. The steps up to the door via the long glass atrium were a clue as to what we would find inside. The reception floor is on a few levels, steps up and down all over the place, it got a bit confusing in the wee hours after a few libations but, as someone else was paying the bill, we didn't mind a bit.
The pizza and burger takeaway right next door is there to remind you that you are in a seaside town.

• Related to: Motorcycle, Beaches, Business Travel
  • Written July 29, 2008

The Promenade

• Kettleman profile photo Kettleman
  • Reviews: 470

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Liverpool Arms: Nice place for a beer

This is a great pub.

Despite not being situated on the TT Circuit it attracts loads of bikers and now with the mountain one-way from Ramsey to Douglas, the coast road through Onchan and past the pub in Baldrine is more popular.

In 2007 we had the BMW Club TT Natter meetign there over a lunch time.

Off the TT!

• Written November 5, 2007
Tip Photo

• bonio profile photo bonio
  • Reviews: 2466

Devonian: Comfortable

Just about a ten minute walk from central Douglas, close to the Marina gardens and one street back from the sea.
Friendly and comfy hotel, room had all we needed and a decent breakfast in the morning included in the price.
Several flights of stairs to negotiate to our room kept us fit!
No complaints here, enjoyed our stay.

• Opinion of Price: about average