via Zane 5, Arqua Petrarca, 35029, Italy
Booking.com Priceline.com eDreams

More about Arqua Petrarca

View of the patioView of the patio

their Logotheir Logo

Giuggiole JujubeGiuggiole Jujube

Photo from the internet,mine will come soonPhoto from the internet,mine will come soon

Travel Tips for Arqua Petrarca

Very quaint, medievel hillside town...

by mapakettle

Just wander the streets, enjoy the uniqueness of the town. I love the stone walls, the clean, neat appearance of the community, with nary a sign of graffetti to be found. So unusual for an Italian scene. There is nothing specific, but the overall location, and the structures and roadways that make the town so interesting.

My Travel Buddies...

by mapakettle

My fondest memories of any place I visit, are those of my travelling companions. In this case, Ma Kettle, my all time favourite, and my adoptive daughter Paola, VT member paoseo, the newest addition to the Kettle clan.

The church of St. Maria can be seen in the background, with another one of the Euganean Hills in the far background.

La giuggiola - Jujube fruit

by oriettaIT

This tasty fruit Giuggiola-Jujube is one of the local specialty. It is not really popular now and hard to find. Arqua land and position is a great place to grow these trees and have always been part of this territory.
During the fall the fruit get to the right ripening and, driving around this area, you will see many people sitting by a stand and selling it in the street.
The village celebrate this special fruit in a festival Festa della Giuggiola every first and second Sunday of October.
An interesting product made with this fruit is the local liquor called "Brodo di Giuggiole". The name is funny as it come from an italian saying "Andare in brodo di giuggiole" that mean "to be in raptures", to be really happy. Mhhh it might also be that the saying come from the liquor because after a couple of glasses i bet you feel pretty happy!! :DDD
This liquor and its secret are disappearing and Arqua Petrarca is one of the few places, if not the only, where it is made.

Just a question...

by mapakettle

How do the locals get about doing daily business, such as grocery shopping, with heavy loads of food stuffs, water, and vino?

We don't own a car in Padova., and public transit is our method of transportation. We are faced with a 20 minute walk from the closest bus stop, to our home. All groceries are carried on our backs, and in cloth shopping bags. We find it daunting at times, and yet our route by foot is relatively flat.

How do the locals do it, when faced with such extreme inclines. I really am curious. We have not seen a taxi yet during our wandering about Arqua Petrarca. Do they even exist?

It's all uphill...Don't wear heels !!

by mapakettle

Pack real light, you will have to carry. Traffic is closed to all except residents. Good walking shoes are important. If you insist upon wearing sandles, be sure the sole is not a smooth leather to ensure good grip, and solid straps are advisable. Lots of photo ops, so bring what you might require. I did see stores advertising batteries and film, but be advised it is a small hillside community.

Comments