This Castle, which was erected starting from the early XVI century for the will of Earl Giancarlo Tramontano, was not completed for his murder in 1515.Its original goal was to protect the town against enemies along its more exposed side. It is constituted by a city wall that would have included twelve towers of defence.
The main part, which dominates a hill in the outskirts of Matera, has two towers and a central mark, besides preserving the ditch and the entrance of the drawbridge.
Avtually it's not possible to visit the castle inside as there are some rebuilding works in progress.
"The main room"
It's the room where the family did the daily activity and sleep, under the floor there is the cistern to keep the rain water as there was no aquedoct.
The "pot" used as a WC was just next to the bed and it was emptied every morning.
The place used ofcourse to cook but also to sleep if the family was numerous, this particular house was inhabitated untill 1953, then all the sassi were abandoned for healthy reasons.On the walls there are all the tools used to cook.
It's next to the main room and there are cells where the donkeys ate and drink and an area used to ferment the manure.The stall was next to the main room because the breathing of the animals helped to keep the room warm.
This is the lowest area of the house it's 10 meters under the ground and you reach it through some big steps digged in the stone in order to make the rolling of the barils easier.It's easy infact to fall down while doing those steps nowdays.