Altafiumara Hotel

Pizzuta CliffPizzuta Cliff

Calabria by LeipzigCalabria by Leipzig

Delianuova

by Capazools

Can anyone give me any information on Delianuova? I hope to some day soon be able to visit there where my family originally came from. Thank you!

RE: Delianuova

by dnwitte

I drove through the place a couple of years ago. It's a dead ordinary small Calabrian town in the mountains, which is to say that it's architecturally drab and undistinguished with no particular attractions beyond its beautiful setting, and very sleepy and remote. My chief recollection of Delianuova was that absolutely everything was closed for siesta, and the drive up from Reggio di Calabria via the interior road was one of the most beautiful drives I've ever done.

RE: Delianuova

by musicsoulpeace

I backpacked all over Italy in 2003. I, like you, were in search of my family in Delianuova. It was beautiful! the hospitality was better in deli than anywhere that I have ever been...and I have been alot of places. I left from Villa san Giovanni by bus to get there. It was a pretty crazy ride because there are so many mountains. When I got to deli I just spoke my last name to the bus driver and he pulled up to a small house and told me to get out. The house had an intercom system and a stranger spoke very fast into it. I could only make out my last name that he was saying. About 2 mins later a whole family came out from the house and hugged me and took me inside. with in a minute of being in the house there was already a plate of food in front of me. Since I wasnt fluent in Italian they found a woman who lived down the street to translate for me. I spent about 5 days in Delianuova and didnt pay a cent for room and board or food! each night a different familys kids my own age would take me out on the town. I was even able to go to the main "governmental" building where they kept records of birth,death, and marriages. I spent about 4 hours sorting through what they had and I found a ton of family in my family tree! I even got to hang out with 2 fourth cousins that I didnt even know existed! I would definitaly recomend going there. It is beautiful and charming! Good Luck! If you need anymore info. just hit me up with an e-mail. Musicsoulpeace@gmail.com

Re: Delianuova

by MYetto

I couldn't have described Delianuova any better myself! Very accommodating folks - it's like going to grandma's house...

For any that come across this thread and are interested, we have a lot of genealogical data at our site which includes practically every family that descends from Delianuova. Feel free to stop by, join (free), read stories of our visits, view photos, and research your ancestry. We also have some travel tips that may help.

Best Regards,
Mark
www.yetto.com

Travel Tips for Reggio di Calabria

Reggio di Calabria Tip

by MariaF311

We have relatives in Reggio and my family and I have been there on and off for the past 30 years and have stayed for entire summers. It's not Florence, Milan or Rome---but it's not a Ghost town--it is just not touristy. This town is not used to tourists. In a sense, to go down there would be to go off the beaten path. Being that tourists rarely visit this area....you get a sense of what Italy and her people is all about.

La Bella Calabria!

by Laurina

Boats in Canitello with Sicily in the background...

Don't miss out on this beautiful but underdeveloped (tourist-wise) region of Italy. If you're on your way to Sicily, especially by train, you can easily hop off at Villa San Giovanni (my home-town, ahhh, what a joy) and take the train to Reggio Calabria. Get off at the Lido station and you will find yourself on the Via Marina.

I've only started to appreciate the beauty of southern Italy within the last couple of years...southern Italians are a lovable breed of their own :)

I hope to add more pictures and good tips for you to use on your stop-over in Calabria!

Look for future images and tips on:
-Scilla
-Chianalea
-and the delicacies of Calabria

In the meantime check out my travelogue for more pictures.

Scilla

by isolina_it

Scilla is surely the most famous location in Calabria. It is situated on the mythic
stronghold and along its slopes. Its houses date back to '600 and '700, and most of them are still well preserved.
The Chianalea quarter and the castle of the Ruffo family (now a lighthouse and youth hostel) have a great architectural and historical importance.
In the castle, the staircase and the hall leading to the dungeons have a unique beauty.
The Chianalea lies on the sea. Houses and palaces of '600 and '700 epoch alternate with the fishermen dwellings.
The walls of the houses are rooted in the water that, often, laps the doors. When the sea is not quite calm and the weather is restless, it looks like being in Homer's poem, where Scilla is the vergin hated by Circe for Glauco's Love
Infact, the origins of this charming place seem to be really mithological. Homer describes it as the cave of a monster that attacked the vessels, giving birht to Scylla and Charybdis legend.
The arch of coast that from Scilla leads to Bagnara is known as the reign of the "spadare": here, the capture of the sword-fish, a rite that has not been affected by the modern innovations, dates back to the Phoenix epoch.

Comments