Via Paolo Orsi, Contrada Croce, Tropea, 89861, Italy
Expedia.com Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Tropea

Capo Vaticano from the Violet CoastCapo Vaticano from the Violet Coast

Isola bella/TramontoIsola bella/Tramonto

Is it common to pay 30% of hotel fee in advance?

Hi there,
I am planning to book a hotel in Tropea. It is my first time I do not use travel agency to do it for me and I am a bit suprised by their requierement to pay 30% in advance when booking and rest after arrival. Is this normal and safe? Should I pay special attention to anything when booking hotel myself?
Thank you very much for answer, Sava Matkovitch.

by qaminari

It's quite normal with smaller hotels that don't take credit cards. The alternative would be to provide credit card details and then they will charge to the card if you don't turn up or leave earlier than you booked for.
I suppose the alternative is not to book and hope you can find a room on the spot!

by SavaMatkovitch

Thanks a lot for the answer. I was thinking of finding our room an spot as well, but we want to stay there for 4 weeks and I am afraid it could be difficult to find free room for such a long term... Anyway, I hope it is going to work with deposit well...

by travelnut71

It's common in this area and in Sicily to get ripped off, and I can tell you, the hotel will be a hole in the wall. I would say to try some local sites or even www.booking.com
The hotels in this area are ridiculously expensive and holes in the walls, some even insect infested, I know I was there.. and it's very noisy. I am Italian and when I go to Italy, I have learned to go to campgrounds because my tent is cleaner, and even the public showers are cleaner than most hotels. Also, not all hotels change all their sheets. I often had bed bug bites. Last year I stayed at campgrounds mostly and I was fine.

by SavaMatkovitch

We spent a month in this apartment http://www.gurnella.it/ and everything was perfect. And we did not have to pay anything in advance. This place is definitely to be recommended...

Comments