Residenza Il Duomo

Residenza Il Duomo
Booking.com Priceline.com Hotelsclick.com

Costs 91% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Tropea

a medusa near our boata medusa near our boat

from my big balconyfrom my big balcony

Besides the beach and cafes, what is there to do in this area?

by travelnut71

I was there a while ago in July and besides the beach and visiting local towns, what activities, nature, famous things can we see in the area? For example Rome and Florence is full of attractions, I am not expecting that much but I need to justify my drive from Rome to Calabria with something worth to see and do. As for beaches, when I was there one July we couldn't even go to the beach even though the hotel took us because the tide was too strong.. what to do then? Thanks.

Re: Besides the beach and cafes, what is there to do in this area?

by gardentimejen

Tropea is a lovely town, jammed packed with tourists in late July and August. i love it, feel safe in town, but not much else to do besides the beach. Most restaurants and cafes serve the exact same menu and all the stores cater to the tourist trade. Scilla is a very pretty town about 1.5 hrs train ride but nice to walk ( hike around) but not much else.A different feel than Tropea, lower beach town and upper village is less touristy and more authentic with lots of locals

Re: Besides the beach and cafes, what is there to do in this area?

by travelnut71

Thanks gardentimeje, the feeling is mutual. I was there once and I feel it is too long a drive from Rome or Naples to just see the beach. I was there in beginning of July 2002 and it was hot but we couldn't swim, there was a high tide warning the whole time I was there. I was bored at night and the menus were repetitive. Being a southern part of Italy where it's supposedly less well-off than the north, yet the owners of restaurants and convenient stores should be a little sharper towards tourism. I saw once a man in a convenient shop charge a tourist 4 Euros for a bottle of water.. in a store. Of course the tourist knew he was being scammed.. it's sad to get this treatment. Having said this, with this mentality even the rooms are expensive and shabbier than other places, like the Algarve in Portugal I found much better and cheaper, and a 3 hr drive from Lisbon or a biggr airport in Algarve. Besides the beach, if there is nothing else to do but visit small quiet towns which seem to be the same everwhere, it's not worth my trip! By the way I am going to Turkey this year, I think I will be very busy with different things there!

Comments