Hotel La Pergola

Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 20% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Amalfi

View along the coastView along the coast

Ceiling of the cathedralCeiling of the cathedral

Emerald partEmerald part

AmalfiAmalfi

Packing for Amalfi/Capri/Pompeii

by wanderlustig

We will be staying in Sorrento for several days in mid September. We will be taking day trips to Capri, Pompeii and along the Amalfi Coast. We would like some advice as to what clothes we should pack. Are shorts okay? For men? For women? By "shorts", I mean long ones, to the knee. We are middle-aged, but very trim. What about sandels? I'm sure there will be throngs of tourists. But we would rather look like Italian tourists in-the-know than clueless tourists. All suggestions will be appreciated. Grazie!

Re: Packing for Amalfi/Capri/Pompeii

by hawkhead

I don't advise sandals for Pompeii, merely for practical purposes. I'm afraid no matter how hard you try you will not look like Italian tourists in the know - just accept the fact that you will look like a tourists, not necessarily clueless ones!

Re: Packing for Amalfi/Capri/Pompeii

by Cristian_Uluru

In mid September in the Amalfi coast is still quite hot. Shorts widely used! Don't use sandals if you go to Pompeii. The Roman street are no flat! Use comfortable shoes for walking inside Pompeii.

Travel Tips for Amalfi

Watch the road not the scenery while driving.

by unravelau

The scenery is absolutely magnetic. The water is so blue, the sky was too but that could be just the day. I spent most of the day with my mouth open, no not eating although I did have a fabulous lunch at a waterside restaurant in Amalfi itself. I was in awe about everything there. The town square was pretty exciting. Heaps of activity with street sellers of cards, trinkets and plaques. Just great for present shopping, interesting shops and laneways, nooks and crannies.

Agerola-San Lazzaro in the hills above Amalfi

by angiebabe

The main attraction to take me 45 mins away from bus up winding and steep roads is the youth hostel that is such a good deal to stay at - there are only 18 dorm beds but there is a camping area as well - but i guess unless youre budget conscious its pretty much off the beaten path up there!
There are direct buses from there to Naples which could be handy particularly if youre doing a round trip from Naples to Sorrento and Capri to Positano and then to Amalfi and Ravello.

It is rather pretty up there and according to the huge map of the area thats in the main square a few minutes walk from the youth hostel - or where the bus stops - gives a indication that there can be lots to do up there - walks and so on.

Theres a rather lovely look out a few minutes from the main square looking over the coast where youve probably come from if you got on the bus or driven up from Amalfi.

Yeah for Vongole!

by kcochran111 about Lo Smeraldino

Every restaurant we ate at in Amalfi served delicious fresh seafood (notice that frozen fish is noted with *surgelato on menus).

One favorite for atmosphere and food was "Lo Smeraldino" . The staff was courteous and the food and wine were delicious. Deck seating offers a view of the marina. We started with saute' di vongole e cozze (clams & mussels) and had the risotto ai gamberi (prawn risotto) for our first course. After all that seafood, we couldn't imagine ordering a second! The house white complimented the meal perfectly.

visit the town..

by Poda

Afetr a nice relaxing in the beach, when the sun is hidden by the mountain (about at 6.30PM) you have to go to see the Cathedral, it's really nice and just walking in the main street... you trip is finished!!

Swimming

by K.Knight

When we arrived in Amalfi the sky was blue and the weather was very warm, considerining it was October! I was in posession of a severe flu (or it was in posession of me!) and I opted out of a swim. Anne (far right) and our travelling friend Brian and Amanda enjoyed the swim and advised me that the water was a lot mor salty than the beaches that we are used to in Australia and therefore you float "higher" in the water. I became the official photographer and bag minder!

Comments