Via delle Cartiere, 1bis, Amalfi, Amalfi Coast, 84010, Italy

Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 77% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

AMALFI VIEW HOTEL

The Hotel Luna Convento was orginally a convent built by St. Francis of Assisi in 1222. It was the first building to be operated as a hotel on the Amalfi Coast in 1821 by the Barbaro family. That's what made me interested in this hotel, the name of the owners. My mother's maiden name is the same, so I had to book this hotel. Names don't make a hotel, but the Luna Convento is worthy of anyone's desires. A full service hotel, right above the Amalfi Drive, overlooking the sea. Quiet and subdued elegance within.

Unique Quality: Beautiful and spectacular views from the balcony of the room, from the restaurant patio, and from the seaside pool and bar that sits across the road on the ocean front. The hotel sits about two blocks above the main square in Amalfi.

Directions: Just east of the Arch on the Amalfi Drive. Inland side of the Amalfi Drive road, across from the circlular struture on the seaside which is also part ot the Hotel Luna.

More about Hotel Luna Convento

Dine in a 16th Century Watchtower

by MonicaLouise about Ristorante Torre Saracena Luna Convento

From the main promenade that is Amalfi beach, you can see the Torre Saracena restaurant looming out over the waterfront like some kind of fortress. That's because it was originally a 16th century watchtower for the Franciscan monastery founded by Saint Francis in 1222, that now houses the Hotel Luna Convento across the street. The varied menu consists of both local and common Italian dishes with a wide range of seafood and meats, with wine to complement. A truly elegant Italian dining experience with amazing views of both Amalfi and Atrani.

Absolutely Magical

Taking the train from Florence to Salerno, and then a bus from Salerno to Amalfi, we didn't know what to expect when pulling up to the Hotel Luna Convento. We were on our honeymoon. We had spent 5 nights in Venice and 3 in Florence.

My wife and I both had the same reaction - WOW! The hotel is absolutely gorgeous. It only got better when were shown our room - apparently we were upgraded to a suite - and once again our reaction was WOW! We had our own terrace, which had doors from both the bedroom and sitting area open out to it. The view - STUNNING. The bathroom off of the bedroom had beautiful tile, with a neat rounded shower AND and a tub on legs. There was also a full bathroom adjacent to the sitting area.

Things kept improving as we freshened up and made our way down to the retaurant for dinner. keeping with the theme, the restaurant had wonderful decor and the view from the outdoor terrace was like nothing I had ever seen (except from our room 5 minutes before). The food was outstanding and the service was unlike any I had experienced in any restaurant. I never saw the bottom of my wine glass. Out of 4 nights in Amalfi, we ate in the hotel restaurant 3 times. Breakfast was outstanding as well, the best we had in our 4 stops in Italy. Pastries, pies, fruit, cold cuts, eggs, sausage, cereal - something for everyone.

The hotel has other aminites as well, such as a neat little courtyard off of the reception level with many comfortable lounge chairs. A perfect spot for reading in total peace and quiet. The pool - a sparkling blue paradise adjacent to the water with outstanding views of the surrounding towns and mountains.

We were enjoying ourselves so much we decided to stay an extra night and cut our time in Rome short, which was our next stop. Unfortunately, we had to move to a smaller room, which was much more cramped, but still had a great view of the water.

The end result - we would stay in this hotel again in a heartbeat and can't recommend it enough.

Sea, Sun and Fabulous Food

My wife and I spent a week at the Luna Convento on our honeymoon. We enjoyed our stay tremendously from the welcoming spumante to the enduring magic of the view. We stayed in room 29 which had views of both Amalfi and the sea. The hotel is very relaxing and the restaurant is top class. We ate there three of our seven nights in Amalfi and still get hungry thinking of it. Many thanks to all at the hotel for a great stay.

What a place!

by TripAdvisor Member TheSalvatierras

My wife and I spent two nights of our honeymoon at the Luna Convento, and it was nothing short of magical. First of all, the location is perfect - we had a view of the whole city from our room and from the restaurant. Breakfast felt like a dreamland. The hotel is such a landmark too - on most postcards of Amalfi, we could pick out our room!
It's too bad that others had trouble with the staff. We found them to be very courteous, accomodating, and helpful. You can tell the hotel was a convent, by the vaulted ceilings in the hallways, and the beautiful cloister where we got to witness a wedding ceremony.
And the rooms! This was a blind pick of sorts from the internet, and I didn't even know if it had a balcony or a window. When we were shown our room, we could hardly believe our eyes. It was extremely spacious, with a beautifully painted alcove where the bed was, and a small balcony that looked out over Amalfi and the Mediterranean. Needless to say we were quite satisfied
The pool is another treat at Luna Convento. It is right by the sea, and yet very comfortable; the staff take care of you there as well. From the same area you can take a dip in the Mediterranean - but watch out for the jellyfish in August, my wife got stung.
Lastly, the restaurant is fantastic. We had perhaps our best meal of our 10 days in Italy there - a divine linguini with lemon cream sauce, and gelati to die for. All this overlooking the lights of Amalfi, yet away from the noise and crowds.
We would certainly stay at the Luna Convento again!

A class joint

My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon last year. We stayed in the tower suite. Amazing. Huge Private Terrace hovering over the water. The room was beautiful. This was a wonderful experience for us. The room is in front of the hotel; seperate from the rest of the hotel. The only complaint was it smelled of fish in the afternoon- there is a hotel restaurant directly underneath the suite. However, that was not nearly enough to deter from the breahtaking view of the sea and the serenity of the room. The staff was friendly and attentive. The restaurant in the actual hotel was outstanding. It is open air with great views. There are some other great hotels in Amafi as well, but Luna I would recommend this hotel to anyone planning to stay in Amalfi.

Room - OK, pool - AMAZING

After a 3 night stay in Positano at a very cute and charming B&B, we were ready for a bit of 4* luxury in Amalfi. We booked a double superior room with a balcony and found it had a spectacular view of the sea and Amalfi (the restaurant also has an amazing view). Unfortunately, the room (in fact the entire hotel) was a little 'tired' and needs a big revamp. There was not one picture on the white washed walls in our room (a definite reminder that we were in a ex-convent !) and the breakfast was expensive. However, the pool is absolutely AMAZING. Jutting out from the cliff like an oyster, it was in immaculate condition and Peppe the pool attendant did his job well. Given that there were lots of jellyfish in the sea, it was great to have a pool. Recommend hiring a boat for 1/2 day to explore the coast (Peppe will arrange this). When we were leaving (6:30am) there was a substantial error in our bill (100 Euros of minibar supplies had been charged to our room) and the night clerk was most unhelpful in correcting this matter.

AMALFI VIA AMALFI DRIVE

by travelgourmet

"ON THE ROAD TO AMALFI"

The day begins in Sorrento and the night falls on Amalfi, but in-between is the beautiful Amalfi Drive that passes over the villages and towns with ocean vistas to gaze upon. One town that is now over touristed is Positano, that sits in the middle between Sorrento and Amalfi. Beautiful and built on a steep mountain-side, there are many steps to descend or climb, and too many people, so it's on to Amalfi and more level walking.

The road is very scenic but it does have many curves that wind about following the slope of the mountain. Arriving in Amalfi, we head to the Hotel Luna Convento perched above the Amalfi Drive, just east of the main part of town. The town of Amalfi is filled with many shops and restaurants and a pleasant fountain in the town square. The main Cathedral is a magnificent structure in the center of town reached by massive stairs. A side trip just up the mountain a little bit and you are rewarded with the small town of Ravello. In all, the three main stops on the Amalfi Drive for tourists are Positano, Amalfi, and Revello.

Italy, Campania & The Amalfi Coast

by MonicaLouise

"AMALFI COAST"

In May of 2006 I was fortunate enough to spend a week in this beautiful part of the world - a splash-out trip to celebrate reaching a couple big milestones in my life. I based myself in Sorrento and did daytrips every day touring Capri/Anacapri, Amalfi and Ravello, Positano, Herculaneum and Mt. Vesuvius, and of course, Pompeii. A tour of the Museo Archeologico in Naples on Day 1 increased my appreciation of the ruins.

"AMALFI & RAVELLO"

My transportation was the SITA bus from Sorrento. A fantastic ride snaking along the narrow, coastal roads where the phenomenal views compete with your attention to the close encounters with oncoming traffic - comparable to any carnival ride and concluding at a much better final destination. I first toured the Duomo which houses a historical museum display and the crypt which holds the remains of the apostle St. Andrew. I would love to return someday after the renovations of the crypt are completed. The sanctuary is breathtaking; an awesome, spiritual experience. Lunch was a splash-out up the main road at Ristorante Torre Saracena Luna Convento (in the 1564 watchtower of the Hotel Luna Convento, itself originally a Franciscan monestary founded in 1222) with it's great views of the shoreline and town. Click Amalfi coast webcam for a real-time view of the Amalfi coastline or click Amalfi Duomo for a view of the staircase leading up to the town's church which is a must-see no matter what your religious persuasion might be.

Another great bus ride took me to Ravello with another wonderful Duomo and the Villa Rufalo. Both are highly recommended. I chose to walk back down the "back-country" trails to Amalfi, down the terraced hillside through lemon groves.The pathway is steps for the most part - the views are outstanding.

"POSITANO"

Positano is a vertical city built high up the cliffs over the Tyrrhenian Sea, part of the famous Amalfi Coast of the Gulf of Salerno. It is an experience like no other - to fully appreciate the uniqueness of this city, explore it by foot , preferably downwards - I did both down and back up again.
The Santa Maria Assunta church is a must-see, no pun intended since you can see it's majolica dome from just about anywhere in town. It is a gorgeous, spirtitual experience - a breathtaking work of art. Also on my agenda was an unplanned motor boat rental. It was a spur of the moment idea that I don't regret - for my hour I motored up the coastline to Amalfi and back, stopping on occasion to drool over waterfront property and take photos. Upon my return to town this shopper's paradise lured even me into parting with a few Euros for personal souvenirs. A small cafe tucked into the side of the hill was sought out for a memorable occasion - a "lunch with a view" - a nice rest halfway back up the hill to catch my SITA bus to return me to Sorrento. Click Positano Webcam for a real-time view of Positano - especially breathtaking as the sun sets over the water and lights begin to twinkle on and illuminate the town's hillside at dusk ...And this is a great webcam anytime, as long as it's daylight - you can actually watch the waves roll in and out !!

Road to Hotel Luna ConventoRoad to Hotel Luna Convento

Amalfi or Positano?

by MonkeySee

My husband and I will be spending 4 nights in the Amalfi coast the beginning of September to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. We are very torn between staying in Positano or staying in Amalfi. Does anyone have any preference? We heard there is more to do in Amalfi (or at the very least more options as far as the restaurants and bars). Is that true? We also heard Amalfi is the mroe laid back of the two and probably the less expensive of the two. As for hotels, in Amalfi, the Hotel Luna Convento has been recommended. And in Positano, the Hotel Eden Roc has been recommended. Has anyone stayed or heard about either of these hotels?

Thanks in advance for your help.

by gdilieto

My choice is Amalfi over Positano and not because Amalfi is any more pretty, scenographic and enjoyable (and it surely is as much crowded and I would not say much or any cheaper) than Positano but because it is a more convenient base to explore the Amalfi Coast. Right in the middle of the Coast, you can walk to Atrani and it is just few kms away from Ravello and Minori, three of the places you don't want to miss in the Coast. From Amalfi you can take one day the bus or the boat to Positano and use the remaining days to visit, more conveniently, the rest of the Coast.

I can't say about quality of accomodation as I have never stayed there, but location of Hotel Luna is fantastic. Check their websites to have a taste.

Enjoy your trip! September is a great month to enjoy the Amalfi Coast.

Giuseppe

by nicolaitan

Positano is beautiful, romantic, well located for trips east to Priano Amalfi and Ravello ( as posted above, Ravello is spectacular ) as well as west to Sorrento and if you are interested the train to Pompeii and Naples. I did not stay at the Eden Roc, but I believe it has a parking lot, great news if you are renting a car. At the risk of brickbats, we did not find Amalfi particularly exciting or attractive, although jazz nights on the steps to the cathedral are a great experience.

by wherethesunis

I vote on Amalfi. I just came back from renting an apt there for the month of July. It is a good base for buses going to the other towns. There are a couple of small beaches there and a village over the hill called Atrani which is low key and adorable. I loved that Amalfi felt like a village - there is a main piazza and it is bigger than Positano.

On the other hand Positano is a big honeymoon destination for romantic hotels built into the cliffs.

Both are fantastic. If you need car service I can recommend:
Anthony 39 3494410336 His website is amalfitransfer.com. You can give him my name - Mary. He does driving in the area and also might help with questions.

Have a fabulous time.