Via Comite 19, Amalfi, Amalfi Coast, 84011, Italy

Costs 44% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Hotel Marina Riviera

The Gem of Our Italian Vacation

by TripAdvisor Member TravelBoomer

During our 25th Anniversary trip to Italy we stayed in many beautiful and we run hotels in Italy. The very best by far was the Hotel Marina Riviera. The ambience was warm and friendly and the view from our balcony was breathtaking. We felt like we were welcomed by the owners Guisi and Antonio and cared for during our stay like a member of their family. Antonio prepares a breakfast that is one of the best I have had during my years of travel throughout Europe. My wife and I cannot wait until we return.

Really lovely little place to stay. We will return again.

by TripAdvisor Member Angel_Griff

We spent only two nights at the Hotel Marina Riviera during a short stop in Amalfi. If we ever return to Amalfi we would certainly stay here again.
The staff where very pleasent, helpful and spoke good English.
This family run hotel is clean, with a freindly atmosphere and situated in a wonderful location, just a couple of minutes walk from the centre and beach of Amalfi.
Our double en suite room was cool and stylish with en suite. The view from our room was amazing.
We enjoyed a lovely fresh breakfast each morning on the hotel balcony whilst overlooking the turquoise sea. A great start to the day.
The Marina Riviera doesn't have a swimming pool, but with the Med sea and Amalfi's beaches just a stones throw away this wasn't a big deal. Probably not the best choice of hotel for a family with young children. The hotel does however have a roof sun terrace.

Faboulous hotel in Amalfi

by TripAdvisor Member rparkhk

We booked this hotel for 2 days in late August based on the reviews on this site. What a treat!

The hotel location is fantastic. It overlooks the main beach with its clear water and is, maybe, 2-5 minutes walk to the main part of the town.

We drove with another couple and almost drove past the hotel. We were welcomed by the owner (Guisi) and she was fantastic. We were upgraded to an ocean view room with a balcony and an atrium. While the room itself was very basic the view and the location made up for everything.

Guisi was fabtastic. She owns a true 5 star Leading Hotels of the World hotel on the other side of the town but she is hands on with this property. We also had a fabulous dinner at the restaurant that is owned by her daughter just below the hotel.

Also, great breakfast. Not the usual bread and cold cuts you get in most Italian hotels but a true buffet with egg dishes, fresh fruits and all kinds of pastry to be enjoyed on a deck overlooking the beautiful ocean with the yachts.

Both my girl friend and I agreed that the two days that we spent at this hotel was, absolutely, the best days during our two weeks plus trip to UK and Italy.

I recommend this hotel to everyone and I can hardly wait to go back.

Only negative is the lack of fast internet which is a major problem for some of us who work off the internet but I took a two day break and the hotel gave me access to their internet any time I asked.

Loved Amalfi

by TripAdvisor Member NicP

Just back from Amalfi and we had a great time. We thought the hotel was lovely and the breakfasts were, as everyone says, great! - loads to choose from. The views from the balcony were amazing. The traffic was a little noisy on occasions but nothing really to worry about considering it was peak holiday season.

Must see whilst there = Pompeii and Vesuvius – very impressive! We took the local coach excursion which probably worked out more expensive, but I think worth it, for the entertaining guide around the site and for the luxury of collapsing into a comfy, air conditioned coach after climbing the last stretch of Vesuvius!

Our favourite restaurant in Amalfi was ‘Risto’ – lovely homemade pasta!

Make sure you try as many of the wonderful flavours of the huge ice creams on sale in Italy – they have an amazing selection!

We enjoyed a trip on the local SITA bus up to Ravello on the ‘Mamma mia’ roads – quite an experience winding up the little roads at top speed! Lovely view when we got there though. During the summer Ravello is host to Europe’s Largest Music Festival and although the week we went there wasn’t any concerts on, I can imagine it would be well worth while booking tickets! The orchestra sits on a large balcony over the sea whilst the audience look out across them and enjoy the sea views!

Capri was pretty but too crowded and a bit too designer for our budget – but again it was peak season.

One final thing…make sure you pack your flip flops for the pebbly Amalfi beach!

Not impressed

by TripAdvisor Member cculver1

I do not understand the hype. The rooms are uncomfortable and dreadfully furnished. If you like austere then this convent type room is for you. The ONLY redeeming quality was the spectacular view from the breakfast patio. Not impressed at all!

a lovely hotel

by TripAdvisor Member 50straveller

Stayed for a week in the Marina Riviera. Room beautiful and immaculate, probably friendliest hotel staff I have ever had, wonderful breakfasts - lovely and different food every morning(didn't like the tourist coffee and was promptly offered wonderful Italian coffee instead). Hotel is by a road, and like everywhere in Amalfi there is traffic noise (they empty the street bins early in the morning). But the views are lovely, you can walk to the shops in a couple of minutes, and the boats and buses are also two minutes away. My only complaint was a double bed made from two singles, but I said nothing and enjoyed my week. The least intrusive but nicest hotel staff that I have ever had. If you need something, ask. Great satellite TV.

This was our first visit to the Amalfi coast, our experiences were; taxi from airport very expensive, but it's a slow drive(€110 each way) and takes 90 minutes. Best things to do; bus to Ravello (1€ each way!), or walk up the hill at the back of town to Pogerola (90 minutes maximum, but it's steps up all the way). Worst thing to do; go to Capri on a boat and mix with the heaving masses. But we did it anyway (got ripped off in the harbour, but only in a minor way).

Best food and coffee.

Best coffee is served at the scruffy Il Doge D'Amalfi snack bar behind the fountain in the square (all the locals are there, of course). Best snacks are the wraps at Porto Saloo snack bar next to the arch between the square or the bruschettas at Cafe Il Birecto in Atrani (next bay along, town square by the beach,a lovely short walk from Amalfi) and the waterfront.

Food; best cheap meal is San Guiseppe pizzas (lovely family, be nice to them), medium price Barraca Restaurant (I think it's called, all seemed a bit forced to me), highish price and brilliant food Taverna Apostoli (face the cathedral, it's on the left, up the steps, lovely people), highest price La Taverna del Duca (didn't like the waiter much, sorry, a bit too pushy for me) but food excellent

Downsides of Amalfi; it's expensive for a Brit, and if you don't like heights (and I don't), be prepared for sweaty palms on the bus! The Amalfi people are so friendly they make up for everything.

Honeymoon

by TripAdvisor Member aliwoollacott

We were treated like family in the Marina Riviera. The en suite room had a huge terrace with incredible views. The Owners were around the hotel and were very happy to make suggestions of where to eat and generally make our 9 days there very enjoyable.
On a practical note the bed linen was changed daily and everywhere was immaculately clean. Breakfast Buffet was more than generous, even the tea at breakfast was right! Boiling water and Twinnings!
The Staff were all delightful and most had at least some English.
We were treated to Champagne in our room on our first night, which may be expected To find another bottle chilled on return from our last night there (for a final toast) was exceptional.

Friendly

by TripAdvisor Member Sajidtarius

Positives: Warm, welcoming, stunning views from the room. Stylish decor. Great Location - central Amalfi. Breakfast included.
Negatives: Not much parking space, not a very active bar/resturant area. No English TV channels!

Lovely Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Balham2

What a lovely hotel! We booked this having seen excellent reviews on trip advisor and we were not disappointed. Clean, simple and with great views over the harbour and town.

When we checked in the receptionist noticed from my passport that it was my birthday and 15mins later 2 glasses of prosecco and some nibbles were delivered to our room - really lovely gesture. The staff are friendly but discreet.

Breakfast is good - lots to choose from the buffet and the terrace where breakfast is served is fantastic.

I have no hestiation in recommending this hotel to others.

Outstanding

by TripAdvisor Member NottinghamReporter

The Marina Riviera Hotel, Amalfi.

Outstanding. The Marina Riviera hotel is located on the sometimes (daylight) busy coast road, four minutes walk and road crossing with luggage from the ferry pier. Easily identifiable from the sea, shyly, only 'No 19' identifies steps (left) or street-level lift (right) up to reception. Marina Riviera offered the sort of life to which I would like to become accustomed, if I had the money. There was a great sense of spaciousness and ease there. We appreciated the professional courtesy that made sure that ours and others' anniversaries were discreetly marked in some way. In their range and variety breakfasts were always an event to be looked forward to and it is the terrace on which they were taken that is the hotel's crowning glory. From there (as you must from many a room as well) you see across the bay and the harbour and beach and across the little town, too. Amalfi was, for us, the best of the possible locations. Being there and gazing down from the terrace was like being in the alps but by the seaside. Wonderful.

J Robinson, Nottingham, England.

Comments