Relais Mare e Monti

Via delle Cartiere 46, Amalfi, Amalfi Coast, 84011, Italy

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Amalfi

Looking down at the seaLooking down at the sea

Ceiling of the cathedralCeiling of the cathedral

During the dayDuring the day

Sun nearly gone, and we're almost back.Sun nearly gone, and we're almost back.

Where to stay?

by iloveaustria

We are planning to spend 2 maybe 3 nights in the Amalfi area. We would like to go to Positano and other places. We are looking for a 2 bedroom apartment. But if that is not available, a good location for seeing the area. Any suggestions?
Grazie, Carol

Re: Where to stay?

by leics

See my rely to your other postings.

Without a car, I think Sorrento is by far the most convenient base...train, bus and ferry access to many places of interest (Capri, the Amalfi Coast towns, Pompeii, Naples etc etc).

Travel Tips for Amalfi

Exploring

by paulapes

It's a beautiful town, crowded (of course!), but the people are friendly, more so if you speak a little Italian. The Duomo is beautiful! My best memory is choosing a name plate for our home in the ceramics shop. The proprietor was very nice and promised to mail the plaque when it was finished---which she did. We received it about a month after I returned home.

Visit Pompeii from Amalfi!

by K.Knight

On a tragic day in AD79, Mount Vesuvius erupted and buried the town of Pompeii in 6 metres (20 feet) of pumice and ash. The city, which is still undergoing ectensive excavation, is petrified in time and some buildings still show paintings and art work.

All of this can be discovered by a short 45 minute drive/bus ride from Amalfi to Sorrento and then a 25 minute train ride directly to the front gate of this fascinating city.

A seafood restaurant right on the water at Amalfi.

by unravelau about Amalfi Restaurant

It is a really large restaurant right on the water, in fact jutting into the Mediterranean next to the boat stop for cruises and the like. It was pretty special because it had continuous window all the way around and you could (I guess) stop in the middle of your meal and slide into the water for a swim too.

The food that I ate and the wine that I drank were marvelous and all up it was a pretty up market affair. We had about 6 courses and all bar the secondo and desert were primarily seafood -- crustaceans............... Everyone (except me) were in raptures over the food -- I don't eat oysters, shrimps (only small ones), lobster, calamari etc..........although I do enjoy fish. None-the-less I enjoyed my spaghetti bolognaise which was big enough for 2 meals for me anyway..............I wasn't worrying much after the first two wines......life is good. Spaghetti Bolognaise. It was even better than any that I might have had in any other Italian Restaurant because of the trouble that they went to to serve it to me. Being a seafood restaurant they did not have anything on the menu that I could/would eat, and also being a set menu for the group that I travelled with, made it even more difficult. They overcame the difficulty by either whipping up a quick bolognese sauce on the spot or out of a pot that they had for their own variety and consumption. However they did it I was very grateful and ate like a horse...........it was delicious. Thank you for alerting me to the different names of the coastline Giuseppe, and yes I would like to claim fading memory for the error LOL........

Piazzale Duomo

by kcochran111

Amalfi's Duomo rises grandly from the Piazza floor. Redone in 1203 in a Sicilian Arab-Norman style, the church is adorned with eye-catching mosaics.

This Piazzale is the center of the buzz in Amalfi, offering a break from the sand and a variety of restaurants and shops.

Republic of Amalfi

by dvideira

From the 9th to the 11th century, the seafaring Republic of Amalfi rivaled the great maritime powers of Genoa and Venice. It is in fact Italy's oldest maritime republic whose ships sailed troughout the Mediterranean carrying merchandise to all the sea-ports of southern Italy, Cyprus, Egypt, Syria, Constantinople and the distant shores of Africa and Asia.
Hometown of Flavio Gioia, the inventor of the compass, Its maritime code, the Tavole Amalfitane, was followed in the Mediterranean for centuries.

Comments