Cinquestelle B&B

Cinquestelle B&B
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

More about Naples

l'Arco di Trionfo - May 09l'Arco di Trionfo - May 09

San Francesco di Paola, Naples, Italy 2001San Francesco di Paola, Naples, Italy 2001

Gesù Nuovo Church (Naples, Italy)Gesù Nuovo Church (Naples, Italy)

Vico dei Maiorani (Naples, Italy)Vico dei Maiorani (Naples, Italy)

Two weeks in Sorrento

by risamay

I will traveling with a friend this spring to Sorrento. We are looking for day spa recommendations in the area. Do you know of a good one? Have a great experience to share? Grazie mille in advance. We plan on visiting Naples, the hill towns of the Amalfi Coast, Capri, Ischia, and Procida. So a spa in any of these locations is of interest.

Is Napoli really as dangerous as every (northern) Italian I've ever met has led me to believe?

I'm particularly curious about Ischia and Procida. If anyone has any general or nuanced advice about either of these lesser touristed islands, I thank you much.

Cheers,
Marisa

RE: Two weeks in Sorrento

by effeti

Ciao Marisa

sorry don't know about spas in the region.
However (and living in the north) i can add certain zones of Naples may be dangerous (but mainly to your belongings) and it is strongly advised to avoid jewelry, expensive watches, etc.
However, nothing that can really surprise a skilled traveller like you. Just keep in mind that some dangers are higher than in other towns

Procida and Ischa (like all the little touristic centers around) are a totally different story: no particular dangers at all, IMHO. They are islands. Most of the pickpockets & co. won't even consider them as an ideal battlefield..

Have a nice trip!
Francesco

RE: RE: Two weeks in Sorrento

by Jetgirly

I went to Ischia in May. By that time of year it was beach season, and the best thing I did was just ride the city bus around the island looking out the window. If I strained my neck enough and looked really far down I could see these beautiful, pristine beaches. I would just ring the bell on the bus after I saw a nice beach and backtrack to find it. It worked every time! I stayed in Forio which is nice, but there's not much to do. I do recall there being many, many, many hot springs on the island though. I'm sure you could find a good spa. A quick Yahoo search shows me http://www.mezzatorre.it

Naples can be rough, but it's not too bad. If you're arriving by train my advice would be to consult your map before you leave the station and walk with a purpose until you're outside of the dumpy area around the station. You'll understand what I mean when you see the place. My "terrible Naples story" is that I stopped to ask someone for directions outside the station and they stole my map! I couldn't believe it! What a perfect way to ruin my evening (as I was only there for a few hours). I only have one Naples tip on VT, but you must check it out. Pizzeria Trianon is within walking distance of the station and it has THE WORLD'S BEST PIZZA (like, it really won that award).

Travel Tips for Naples

When you come to Napoli, bring...

by sargentjeff

When you come to Napoli, bring plenty of openmindedness and a good dose of patience. Driving here can be very stressful and aggrivating. Don't be offended by honking horns or hand gestures. It's all part of the Napolitan 'fun'.

When someone answers the phone they will say 'Pronto' meaning they are ready for you to talk.

Don't worry about tipping too much in restaurants, as most charge you a servizio of 15-20% anyways.
There is usually always a charge of 1-2 euro per person for sitting at a table. This is called coperto and is for the bread. This is in addition to the servizio. To ask for the check say 'Il conto per favore'

When you leave a restaurant you will be given a receipt (scontrino or ricevuto fiscale), which by Italian law must be taken with you. If you aren’t given one, it means the restaurant is probably cheating on its taxes in which case, they are probably offering you lower prices.

When parking, men may approach you to ask for money. They are not authorized to do this, but not paying will result in possible or probable damage to your car.

Urban Transportation:

by Redang

To be honest, I don't know how metro or local buses work apart from the bus from/to the airport, so, I can't give you my opinion. Maybe it's not necessary to use them. However, I did use the Funiculare/Cable railway. There are four lines and I used the one called Funicolare Centrale to go to the Castel Sant'Elmo.

I give the link of the metro and funiculare in case you need it.

The pic shows the station of Fuga, the closest to the mentioned castle. This station also serves Vomero district, where the castle itself is (for the whole info about it, go to the Off the Beaten Path Tips).

Duomo of San Gennaro

by Willettsworld

Built between 1294 and 1323, the Duomo of San Gennaro lies behind a mostly 19th century facade. It was commissioned by Charles II of Anjou and completed by Robert of Anjou. The nave is lined with ancient columns and houses the relics of San Gennaro, patron saint of Naples (martyred in AD 305). The ornate Cappella San Gennaro holds his head, within a silver-gilt bust. The Cappella Carafa, a Renaissance masterpiece built in 1497 to 1506, contains the saint's tomb.

Walking on via Caracciolo

by spicysurfer

In summer is a must. A walk along via Caracciolo, the road in front of the sea. On sunday the street is closed to the car traffic, and lot of people from all the towns around Napoli come here with skates and bicycles. It's like a country party. We enjoied it. The picture is the great sight from my hotel.

Fusaro lake

by egicom05

Placed in north of Naples, it’s classified by the geographers, among the lakes of lagoon origin.
The lake, like "Solfatara", derives from a volcanic formation of circular form in origin and of greater diameter of the actual one, broken after the enter of the sea. This origin is confirmed by the presence of fumarole and sulphureous exhalations on the hills to northeast of the Fusaro.
A thin coastal band separates the lake from the sea, forming an exceptional ecosystem of enormous environmental interest, in which the typical coast dune is visible, composed by a variegated spontaneous vegetation, called Mediterranean stain.
The actual name of the lake derives from the transformation during the centuries, suffered by this area: in the Middle Age the basin became an “infusarium”, place to soak hemp and flax; the name, from generic, became a toponym (Fusarium or Fusaria), because Fusari was called, in Campania, water's courses used for the hemp maceration and flax. Currently the waters of the lake are used for fish breeding and cultivation of the famous mussels of Fusaro, one of the main economic activity of the area. In the lake you can admire the "Royal Country house" (Casina Vanvitelliana).
[Egicom05 - by Amaltea]