NH Ambassador Hotel Naples

More about Naples

Rising above the mist - May 09Rising above the mist - May 09

The interiorThe interior

Castel NuovoCastel Nuovo

Chiesa Santa Chiara - cloister wall paintingChiesa Santa Chiara - cloister wall painting

Your advise on danger

by carmena

I've read all your opinions on Naples and I think I'm a little scared and confused about the pickpockets and thieves you mentioned. I will go with an elderly family and will stay in Hotel Garibaldi near Statione Centrale (8 nights and then 7 nights in Sorrento). We are quiet people, we mind our business, we just want to travel and see as much as posible (by the way, thanks to your tips, guys, I've planned an excelent holiday). But so far are plans, I'm thinking to much of the danger. Should I relax?

by unaS

Take sensible precautions.

Carry your funds and your important papers - including your flight tickets - in a body belt under your clothing. Don't use a handbag if you can avoid it, a waist pouch is better. Even then carry in it only what you need for the day.

Then...yes. Relax and enjoy !

by danilover

HI,
I think that if you want to feel free to walk and avoid problems to relax during your stay you shoul go to the second main city in campania, it is on the sea as naples but it is surely quit and very clean city.
It is Salerno, only 45 km from naples but at only 5 min driving from the amalfi coast,30 min. from the ruines of Pompei and Ercolano and from the grec temples of Paestum.
there is also a turistic harbour to go to the amalfi coast by boat or to go to the isle of capri.
if you need more info about Salerno,its location,and an idea for an accomodation in the area, please contact me.
I weill be happy to let people know that campania is not only naples.
verdanilo@tiscalinet.it

by wilocrek

I have been to Naples several times, most recently last month. I have never felt like there was reason to fear for my safety. In fact during my last stay I had to make a 30 minute walk down Corso Umberto, which is the main street in Naples, at 1:00 in the morning and it was perfectly safe. I think the main reason Naples gets such a bad reputation is simply by the way it looks, there is no doubt that Naples, specifically the part of Naples by the train station, looks dangerous and seedy. However in my opinion its just smokes and mirrors for the most part. I'm familiar with where your hotel is by the train station and although it looks like a rough part of town and even though you might see some shady characters here and there, overall as long as your as cautious as you would be at home you should be fine. Remember Naples is a major tourist stop, its the gateway to the Almalfi Coast and right next door to Pompeii. If there really were serious security concerns you would hear alot more about it. Have a fun trip!

by Maryimelda

Naples is not my favourite city by any means, but in all fairness, there is no more danger in Naples than there is in any other city in the world. If you don't want to be robbed take all the right precautions. Number one precaution in my opinion (and I have been robbed by the gypsies in Rome) is to use the hotel safe if there is one. I would even go so far as to suggest that you only stay in hotels where you know for sure that there is a hotel safe. Just take what cash you need for the day and keep a firm hold on it at all times. Security is now, always was and always will be, an important part of any travel plans. Have a great time and I can assure you, you will love Sorrento.

Travel Tips for Naples

Arcade on via dei Tribulani

by extrajoce

A typical narrow but high street, in a poor condition. I was stopped by the sight of this man with his umbrella… Via dei Tribulani is one of the two streets to cut across Staccanapoli, the old and tight part of the city. The atmosphere is very special, and different from teh wide shopping streets of many other Italian cities. I loved the atmosphere there.

Gaeta is a sleepy small town...

by anaiis

Gaeta is a sleepy small town before Napoli. If nothing else, try buying bikini there, since the prices are low. Climbing up the hill to see the cathedral didnt pay off. It was locked. But here I am! :)

awesome pizza!

by deebum25 about Trianon

I thought this pizza was better than Antica de Michelle and the prices were just as reasonable. The local wine was nothing to write home about but service was quick and the pizza was decidedly very tasty. I had sausage and mushrooms and my husband had ham and eggs. Delicious!

Castel Nuovo: Don't miss the skeletons!

by wilocrek

Castel Nuovo is located directly on the harbor not far from Piazza de Plebiscito. This is a neat place to visit from both a historical standpoint as well as from a great view standpoint. The Castle itself is rich with a history that quite frankly I already forgot about so consult a guidebook, but there is a room inside that has a glass floor showing the catacombs with several fully visible skeletons! I want a floor like that in my house someday....any volunteers for the skeleton role? Castel Nuovo also boasts some of best views of Naples harbor from the top part of the Castle. Visiting here serves as a great side dish to visiting Piazza de Plebiscito and the National Museum. All three can easily be done in a day.

The Amalfi Coast is one of...

by pjallittle

The Amalfi Coast is one of the most famous itineraries in the world, offering views of rare beauty: a splendid road, designed by the engineer, Luigi Giordano and completed at the end of 1852.

The road follows the coast line, climbing and descending between five and two thousand metres above sea level, passing bays, inlets, gorges and little beaches, through gardens and terraces of citrus fruits, overlooking the sea and groups of houses piled one on top of the other, with winding alleys and steep steps with ceramic shops opening onto them.

We had time to visit Sorrento at the far end of the drive before returning to Naples.

Comments