Via Minutella 27, Pompeii, 80045, Italy
Hotels.com Expedia.com Venere.com

More about Pompeii

The tree grove outside the theaterThe tree grove outside the theater

PompeiiPompeii

Bust of Jupiter from the Temple of Jupiter, PompeiBust of Jupiter from the Temple of Jupiter, Pompei

Water SourceWater Source

Baggage storage at the train station?

by butterman75

Can someone tell me if there is somewhere to store your bags while touring around Pompei for the day and is it safe to leave them?

Thanks!

by leics

No, there is no left luggage at Pompeii Scavi station.

There is, however, a left luggage facility at the site itself and I am sure it is safe enough.

by leics

I believe the facility is to your right as you enter the site from Pompeii Scavi station. You buy tickets and get audioguides to your left.

Hello,
When I was there in October 2009 you could leave your luggage at the bar/cafe at the train station. I think they charged 5 Euro for it but, I thought it was worth it. Hope that helps.

by leics

Which station was that? There are two in Pompeii.

Pompeii Scavi.

by leics

Thanks. That's useful to know...obviously the station bar/cafe owner has set up a new enterprise since I last visited in early 2009! :-)

by annahill

Your welcome. I do not remember how I knew that they stored luggage, but I think I knew it before we left Sorrento. I looked through my trip planner to see if it was a tip I got from VT,(where I did most of my research for our trip) but could not find anything. I just remember that we got off the train,(circumsuviana) bought a cold drink, stored our luggage and walked to the entrance of Pompeii.

I also remember running back because we either had to pick up the luggage at a certain time or catch a train at a certain time, I can't remember which. At any rate 3/4 of a day is not nearly long enough to see Pompeii. I plan on going back in 2012 and spending a couple of days. I also looked at your pages on Villa Poppea (absolutely beautiful) hope to see that too!

by leics

Thank you! :-) Yes, Villa Poppaea (Oplontis) is very much worth visiting, as is Herculaneum....a quite different experience to Pompeii and equally unmissable, imo.

I've been to Pompeii twice now, spending around 3.5-4 hours each time, and still have not seen all of it. I'll be back.....

Travel Tips for Pompeii

Another Italian City

by Goner

When you approach the entrance of Pompeii, it looks like you are approaching a thriving Italian town surrounded by an ancient rampart. When you enter, there are no people, only 2,000 -year old ghosts.

General Info

by Redang

Go to Transportation Tips to know how to get there by train.

There are three entrances: Porta Marina (the closest to Pompei-Scavi train station), Piazza Anfiteatro and Piazza Esedra.

* Some websites:
- www.pompeiisites.org
- www2.pompeiisites.org/database/pompei/pompei2.nsf/pagine/83F508F343460071C1256AB6002F40BB?OpenDocument (for general tourist information).

* History of the Excavations:
- www2.pompeiisites.org/database/pompei/pompei2.nsf/pagine/86CEFC47EC002C16C1256AB6003247E1?OpenDocument

* Visiting the Site:
- www2.pompeiisites.org/database/pompei/pompei2.nsf/pagine/868C7C3FC242BCBFC1256AB600324AF3?OpenDocument

* For Tourist Info:
- Internet: www.pompeiturismo
- E mail: info@pompeiturismo.it

TIME TRAVEL

by BerniShand

The streets are good enough to drive on today, and the houses still line them as they did so long ago, this is just like being in a time warp
I wanted all the other tourists to disappear so that I could have it all to myself, selfish I know, but it would have been so wonderful seeing the houses, some of them still habitable today

Pompeian Styles

by Cristian_Uluru

The Pompeian Styles are four periods described by the German archaeologist August Mau during the excavation in Pompeii in the 19th century.

The First style was used from the 2nd century B.C. until 80 B.C.. It is characterised by the simulation of marble and the use of vivid colour.

The Second style is an architectural style and it was used since 1st century BC, where walls were decorated with architectural features and trick of the eye compositions. It is characterized by use of relative perspective to create trompe l'oeil in wall paintings. By the end of this style was introduces paintings of landscape which provided a stage for mythological stories, theatrical masks, or decorations. The predominant colours of this style are white, red, yellow, green, and magenta.

The Third style is the ornate style and it was used around 20-10 B.C.. It leaves room for more figurative and colorful decoration, with an overall more ornamental feeling, and often presents great finesse in execution. It obeyed strict rules of symmetry dictated by the central element, dividing the wall into 3 horizontal and 3-5 vertical zones. Delicate motifs of birds or semi-fantastical animals appeared in the background.

The Fourth style revives large-scale narrative painting and panoramic vistas, while retaining the architectural details of the Third Style. The colors warm up once again, and they are used to advantage in the depiction of scenes drawn from mythology.

Pompeji and the Vesuvius

by globetrott

In August 24th, 79 A.D. the next catastrophe came over
Pompeji, when the vulcano Vesuvius had an eruption and covered
all of Pompeji and many other villages under a thick layer of
ashes and lava.
The inhabitants were mostly completely surprised by the eruption
and many of them lost their lives beeing buried under the ashes
or by the poisened air.