Piccolo Sogno Hotel

Piccolo Sogno Hotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Pompeii

Part of the Brothel MenuPart of the Brothel Menu

Grandson with map and audio tourGrandson with map and audio tour

Another sceneAnother scene

Streets of PompeiiStreets of Pompeii

Acquiring A Guide

by ritadelmar

We are taking a day trip from Rome to Pompeii by train. Spending the day in Pompeii and then going to Sorrento. Just wanted to make sure that I can hook up with a tour guide in Pompeii and wondering if I should do that ahead of time...i.e. before I arrive. How do I do that?

Much thank to anyone who can answer this.

by alza

Antonio Somma, accredited guide to Pompei and area. Highly recommended on Slow Travel forum. Have fun checking out his advert site, to the sound of Elvis and It's Now or Never! :)

Barbara Giambattista, another highly recommended guide, often sold out but will help you find a good guide. Read about a quote she gave to one guy on that forum, 75 Euros per person + she supplies air conditioned vehicles where luggage can be left during the guided tour.
Some guides apparently include a pizza lunch but I would not focus on that too much.
Getting a good guide can make a big difference in your appreciation of a place like Ercolano or Pompei. (I found out in Oaxaca State, Mexico. We had an archeologist as guide and it was fabulous!)

But you don't NEED a guide and it's only good to have one if he's talented. The two above are said to be very talented.

Another recommendation I once got is to make sure the guide is registered and for an English tour. Agree on length of tour and price beforehand (of course)

There will be lots of guides standing outside the gate offering their services. You should get a guide who is INSIDE the gate, if you haven't made previous arrangements. I personally would make my arrangements before getting there. Unless I couldn't, then I'd choose one standing INSIDE the gate.

Rita,
I hadn't looked much into Barbara's link but just did and found something very useful in finding a good guide: Top 4 Rule on Finding a Fantastic Pompeii guide:

Hope that helps!

by Redang

I always prefer to visit the places on my own except when it's compulsay: Cheaper and you follow your own pace (with a good guide book, it's enough).

by hawkhead

I would recommend that you do without a guide. The leaflet you get with your ticket gives you itineraries depending on how long you have at the site e.g. 2 hours, 6 hours and so on. The audio guide is very good and well-worth the extra cost.

by goodfish

I'll second the motion for seeing it on your own with the leaflet and audio guide. Going at your own pace is always nice and you'll save some $$. It also won't tie you to a particular time you need to be there to meet your guide.

by alza

I too usually prefer to visit places on my own, at my pace, using audio-guides or not.
But I've also had excellent experiences with guides at world famous sites and I think it's important to get this information out.

The OP is planning an important day trip to Pompeii and is looking for a guide. He needs a few pointers about hiring a good guide and I hope he gets them on VT. :)

by goodfish

The poster may not know that it's entirely possible to visit it on her/his own - we're just offering up that option.

by alza

yeah, I know. Just thought we could show him the advantages of all options.
no problem. :)

Travel Tips for Pompeii

The anger of the Vesubius

by cinthya_in_victoria

I confess I was praying for the Vesuvius not to erupt while I was in there. :) Yes I know it may be a silly thought but it is really near from Pompeii that makes you think in all the horror Pompeians lived; remember it has erupted many times since and is today regarded as one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world.

It is the most densely populated volcanic region in the world so that makes me think what would happen if it erupts again... I find volcanos interesting but I don't like them and I find scary to live near one, but happens that I live near one in Mexico called Popocatepetl and unfortunately it is an active volcano :( :(

Get free guide booklets an map at entrance!

by gubbi1

You can get a free booklet at the entrance, which explains a lot about the different houses. On the map, which is also availabe there, you will find numbers helping to find the information for the site.
These booklets are available in different languages.

Themple of the Apoll

by globetrott

The Vucalo Vesuvius / Vesuv was not actice at
that time but in the year 62 A.D. there was a heavy earthquake
in that area and lots of the houses of Pompeji were at least
partly destroyed.
Pompeji had about 25000 inhabitants at that time and was one of
the biggest metropoles of the area.

Ampitheatre

by barryg23

I had seen pictures of Pompei's ampitheatre before my visit, but it was a lot bigger than I expected when I saw it for real. You can wander around in the arena or in the passages underneath the seats. The views from the seating areas are excellent.

Porta Marina

by sandysmith

There are other gates of entry but the Porta Marina is the one commonly used and this brings you up to the forum and temple areas.
From here many important sights in Pompei can be seen if on a tight schedule.
Other entrances and exit points include:

Porta di Ercolano - best for Villa of Mysteries
Piazza Anfiteatro - by the ampitheatre of course.

Best of all is if you can enter by one and exit by another.

Comments