Via Regina Giovanna, 5, Positano, Amalfi Coast, 84017, Italy

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Best one in Positano

We have been to Positano over 15 times and never even thought of staying at Covo until our grandchildren were going to join us and we thought the beach area would be best overall-We were right and the hotel is the best in service anywhere we have bben and the rooms are spotless and restaurant terrific. What else can be said. We truly enjoyed our stay and this is the best staff at any hotel you will stay in- We highley recommend the Covo Dei Saraceni

Unique Quality: Swimming pool and this is right on the beach and close for boat tours etc

Directions: Easy to find-Just go to the beach in Positano

More about Covo Dei Saraceni

Beautiful Setting and Great Wine

by TRimer about Ristorante Savino

Beautiful atmosphere and attentive service make for a wonderful, relaxing dining experience. This is one of the hotels where they filmed the movie "Only You" with Marissa Tomei and Robert Downey Jr.

On the shores of the Tiranean Sea, below the steeply rising dwellings of Positano, is the Hotel Covo dei Saraceni, a former fisherman's house whose name "Covo of the Saracens" is a reminder of the marauding pirates who once tormented Italy's Amalfi Coast. Everything was wonderful. Lots of fresh ingredients - cheese, pasta, seafood. They have a spectacular wine list.

Romantic and Sublime

We had such a fabulous 5 nights here in September 2004. The staff were helpful and happy, quite unlike some of the surly staff you encounter at hotels along the Amalfi during summer.
They make the sort of yummy wood fired pizzas you think of when you think of Italy, which you can have relaxing by the pool that overlooks the heavenly sea view with little fishing boats coming and going. You definitely want a room overlooking the water with a balcony or else there is no point staying at this location almost on top of the waters edge. I would recommend a suite for the small amount of extra money if you can afford it to have a bigger room, but really all the rooms with sea view are pretty good. Make sure you ask for a room with a sea view rather than mainly beach, if you can get one as they are quieter and more private.

The other hotel that looked great to stay at where we only had drinks and lovely food on the terrace was Le Sirenuse. The best thing to do is to get there well before sunset and sit on the spectacular terrace, have a bottle of something good and watch the changing light. It has a very groovy after dinner scene for drinks with chilled music. It is however, Hugely more expensive and much higher up the cliff face away from the water. Following dinner in the little local places, if you want to walk back to your hotel at night (as there are no roads in Positano once you get past a certain point), I would much prefer to be always walking downhill back to the lovely Covo Dei Saraceni right on the water. One of the best things is waking up to the fresh scent of sea air as your room and balcony literally hang over the water.

They have a chauffer service which can take you where ever along the Amalfi, if you don't want to bother with a car etc. We found this a great hassle free way of exploring where we both could gasp at the breath taking views instead of looking at the roads.

You should see the pool

by TripAdvisor Member JaneandSharon

You would have to be in a pretty bad mood to be particularly negative about this hotel. It is well situated near the water; we found the staff helpful and friendly (and most spoke English well); the room was large and tasteful; the bathroom huge; and we had a balcony overlooking the beach. The view from the pool is quite simply one of the most beautiful in the world. Yes, they charge like wounded bulls for poolside drinks; and singing O Solo Mio with the band over dinner is not to everyone's taste. It doesn't have a gym, but frankly, you have to walk up and down hundreds of steps to see Positano, and that is a far more pleasant way to exercise your legs than pounding away on a treadmill. It may not match the dazzle of the five stars in London - but neither did the bill! I would have no hesitation staying there again.

My Unpleasant Experience

by TripAdvisor Member Latel

Covo left a very bad taste in my mouth. We arrived there on August 13 for 5 nights. I had booked a Jr. Suite and a sea view double room. The first “suite” they showed us was a complete dump, with 3 dresser drawers for clothes. We asked to see another room and were told “there is nothing available:” After much prodding we were shown another room, which was nicer and we settled for that. The sea view double for our daughters was frightening. The “sea view” was not visible from the room, you had to go around a corner and walk out on a tiny balcony. Apparently there was a family with a screaming baby who cried all night next door who kept our daughters up most of the night. The story gets better. . . They have a “beauty center” which offers one hour massages. The “beauty center” is located next to the pool area which is loaded with screaming kids. I stupidly booked a one hour massage. What a nightmare. The massage was scheduled for 12:00. I arrived at 12:00 and was told it would be a few moments and they would come and get me. They came at 12:15. I was brought into what was a storage room with a curtain around it and a massage table in the middle. This totally crazy woman gave me a massage with noise from the pool, people coming in and out of the room, her leaving for a few minutes in the middle of the massage. The best part was when she was done she walked outside the curtain and started screaming at the young girl who worked with her while I was still getting dressed. I walked back to the pool and my husband said you are back already? It had only been ½ hr. I went back to her and she said the massage is only 45 minutes, it was
60 when I asked her about it when I made the appointment. That afternoon we stopped at the front desk and told them the story. They were very nice about it. Later that evening my daughter and I were walking around Positano and the woman that gave me the massage approached me and started asking me why I complained about her and that I was mistaken about the time. I simply said I paid you for a one hour massage and you gave me ½ hr. When we got back to the hotel my daughter told my husband what happened and he went to the front desk again outraged by this woman approaching a guest on the street and harassing me. The next day the hotel offered us a dinner at their restaurant, which was a very nice gesture on their part. Every day after that the crazy woman would be standing around the pool area that glaring over at us. We checked out on 8/18 and headed for Serenuse. When we arrived there and I began to unpack, I noticed 2 of my new bathing suits were missing from my things. I immediately called Covo and asked if I had left them in the room. (We always check every drawer and closet and under the bed before we leave anywhere). Nobody new anything about the bathing suits. I called several times inquiring about them and was told sorry we do not have them and “no one on our staff would take anything”. When I asked them why am I missing two bathing suits they had no explanation and were extremely rude. We travel a lot and we have never had anything taken from our room. I find this to be very disturbing, first that they have someone who is clearly unstable working there and the fact that belongings were missing.
The only positive thing I can say about the place is most of the staff was very nice, the pool staff was outstanding. Maybe it was just a fluke about the bathing suits, but I find it hard to swallow.

Views to die for!

My daughter and Istayed at the Covo three years ago, Heaven on a stick! The room was very clean, large bathroom, and the view from the balcony to die for! We found the staff very accommodating, meals great, and we loved the breakfast room. The pool area overlooking the gold cupola,and the Bay is beautiful. The hotel is very central to shops, ferry rides, and restaurants. We were there at the end of season, Late October,so didn't have a problem with noise. What a way to start the day, on the balcony bathed in sunshine. Ialso have an oil painting of the morning view, which I painted unfortunately from a photo as time prevented painting on site. What a lovely memento of our very enjoyable stay!

Best Location in Positano

We stayed here for 5 nights in early september and loved it. The room was clean and spacious as was the bathroom. The view from the balcony was to die for.
As for food they serve the best Pizza in town at the casual restaurant in the hotel. The main restaurant is also very good if a little pricey by Positano prices.
The location could not be better, right beside the beach with perfect views of Positano and the sea from the pool area. Plus your right beside the ferry for trips to Capri. Also one of the most scenic Positano walkways starts right outside the hotel.
Its worth noting that if you are flying in to Naples airport that this hotel offers a car service for 100euro (the best 100euro you'll spend).
I recommend staying here and hopefully we'll be back someday.

Great hotel - Great location!

My wife and I spent one night here...unfortunately. This was a little get away from Rome. This is one of the nicest hotels I've stayed at. True Mediterranean feel. Very nice helpful people, great room with a fabulous view of the town and ocean and a really cool, salt-water pool. We are dying to go back there for a week.

Make sure you know how to get there before you arrive. You'll need to park off the main road, get a porter service to carry your bags down and then walk for 10 minutes down the hill. It's a great walk in a very small, warm town.

I would easily stay there again!!

This is where you want to go for your honeymoon...

by TripAdvisor Member danvidal

My wife and I stayed here in April '03 for 5 nights during our honeymoon. We stayed in one of the deluxe junior suites which has a HUGE room, jacuzzi inside AND outside (although not heated so it's a little cold). Our terrace was actually 2 floors! We had a balcony with the most unbelievable views and a stairway to the downstairs terrace with the outdoor jacuzzi and beach chairs. We stayed in some nights to have dinner on the terrace and just enjoy the views and night. Staff was good and credited us for a partial night due to noise from kids in the room above us. Their breakfast was a real breakfast. The dock was right downtairs (to take the ferry to Capri) and for the price, unbeatable. We would have easily paid double what we paid for any other 5-star hotel.

Dishonest People

Nice Hotel, good facilities and great breakfast room and food. But staff cannot be trusted. We were short changed at the restaurant outside the hotel entry which the hotel owns and runs. Bought a gelato, gave the girl 10euro and received change as if I gave her 2euro. Made a complaint to reception only to be told that I must be mistaken as the till was checked at the end of the evening and it all balanced. Upon check in you are offered a discount of 15% if you dine at their restaurant for lunch or dinner. Not the case, once you have dined and parted with good money, you never see the 15% discount. Such a shame because the hotel is well located with great views but the staff ruin it for you. We wont stay there again, as there are too many other great hotels in Positano with great staff.

hotel wi-fi connections

by genebeans

Do most hotels in Positano have a wi-fi connection? Specifically Buca di Baco or Covo dei saraceni near the beach
Thanks-Gene

Re: hotel wi-fi connections

by Mikebond

Buca di Bacco hotel provides wifi connection in the reception area (http://www.bucadibacco.it/services.html), while the website of Covo dei Saraceni (http://www.covodeisaraceni.it/hotel_eng.html) doesn't mention wifi connections anywhere.
To find this piece of information about other hotels, check www.booking.com.

Re: hotel wi-fi connections

by genebeans

Thanks Mike-I will just e-mail the hotel-Gene

Comments