Villa Hibiscus

Villa Hibiscus
eDreams Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Positano

Chiesa di Santa Maria AssuntaChiesa di Santa Maria Assunta

Looking down the coast roadLooking down the coast road

Spiaggia GrandeSpiaggia Grande

A view in the other directionA view in the other direction

rome to positano

by haconstruct

We've dropped Pompei from our journey and think from what has been posted the the best way to get to Positano is by train to Sorrento and then the SITA bus to Positano. However, is there a direct train from Rome to Sorrento or do we have to take two. Thanks

by leics

Yes, that is the best option. There is a direct Rome>Sorrento bus from Rome Tiburtina station, but it only runs a couple of times a day.

And yes, you will have to change trains at Napoli Centrale. The Rome>Naples train is a Trenitalia one, the Naples>Sorrento is a Circumvesuviana one. It's more like a commuter train really, with 'metro-style' carriages. Very frequent, very cheap, perfectly ok.

From Napoli Centrale follow the signs to the adbjoining Napoli Garibaldi (one level down), buy your ticket to Sorrento and off you go.takes about an hour.

Timetables here:

and Sorrento>Amalfi bus timetables (just in case you have not seen them) here:

under 'Quadro 15'. Buy your bus ticket from the nesagents at the entrance to Sorrento station....bus stop is directly opposit the station, at the other side of the (tiny) square.

A great pity to drop Pompeii though, imo. Especially as it is so easily accessible by train from Sorrento.

by leics

The daily direct buses from Rome leave at 0700 and 1500, taking around 4 hours to get to Sorrento.

Tickets can be booked online.

by haconstruct

thanks so much. we are leaving for rome wednesday and this was the last piece of the puzzle we needed to address.

by leics

Hope you have a brilliant trip! :-)

by jims99

My wife and I just got back from Positano (was our third visit!). We tried many ways to get there from Rome. Best way is train to Salerno, then hydro-jet boat ride to Positano, about one hour - beautiful scenary along Amalfi coast.
On previous trip we had a bad experience with SITA bus from Sorrento to Positano - long line at stop, people pushing and shoving to get on, and bus was full - we sttod all way.
Ciao!

by leics

Buses may be well full at busy times (I try to avoid them early morning/early evening ... 'rush-hours', so to speak) and standing if they are is quite usual.

As for queuing......well, it's not quite the same as the UK in many European countries. I will say no more. :-)

Travel Tips for Positano

Dig The Scene

by Geisha_Girl

Checking out the other coastal towns was a treat! You can pay around 8 Euros for cruises to the neighboring towns such as Amalfi, Ravello, and Capri. This was our first day trip to Capri. We were on a nice size boat with a deck large enough for all of us to kick back and dig the scene..........

Santiero Degli Dei

by iandsmith

After my first trip to Positano, I heard about this walk, the Path of the Gods. With a name like that it got my attention. It gnawed at me. I always thought that if I returned I would do this walk. I'd wondered if there was a way to see the Amalfi Coast from above and this was it.
I came across another Aussie walker on Capri on the Via Matromania and he told me to catch the bus to Bomerano and then you'd find the start of it.
It involves first catching a bus to Amalfi and then the bus that goes to Napoli over the mountains. If that was all you had to do you'd have a good day. The ride up to Bomerano alone is worth the effort, gaining altitude a few kilometres north of Amalfi on a switchback road that leads you to thinking it must be going to be an exciting walk.
You will be thinking correctly. I'd been chatting with a Swiss tour guide who was taking a group to do a harder walk, one of several up in the mountains apparently. He indicated to me when I should alight but it was probably a bit early.
Not to worry, after passing a fishmongers and a backyard with a cage full of rabbits (pic 2) , I soldiered on up one dead end and then finally stumbled on the trail proper (pics 3 and 4).
Excitement welled up inside and I started out on my big adventure.

Steeper steps of Positano

by sandysmith

The steps at the top of Positano get steeper and steeper...I was glad to keep stopping for the wonderful views of Positano though. Our knees were really complaining by now after our long hot hike on the Sentiero Degli Dei path and we were so glad when we reached the Lemon Tree restaurant (see restaurant tip) where we collapsed into a chair for a rest before making it down all the way to the beach.

Fantastic food on the go

by londonlover about Bar Mulino

This is a little shop/cafe/coffeehouse, and right at the middle of town in Positano. The best cannoli I had on my trip, and fantastic espresso. They also have reasonably priced chilled soft drinks and bottled water, as well as other great-looking desserts in the cases. There are just a couple of tables inside the cafe, or stand outside and eat (or take it down to the beach and sit down).

Right On the Beach

by TRimer about Buca di Bacco

Like Chez Black, this is a place that appears in all the guide books. We were not impressed with the food here. However, the bar/restaurant serves- at all hours, mind you-- plates of marinated anchovies, toasted bread with toppings and arancini di riso, a rice treat. Good to know when you are absolutely starving.

Comments