Hotel Centro Congressi Polonautico

Villa Cimbrone, RavelloVilla Cimbrone, Ravello

Driving and parking - Amalfi Coast

by Dan-dan

Hello there!

I have done some questions and I thank you all for helping me to plan my next trip!!

I haven't decided yet if I want to drive along the Amalfitan coast or if I want to travel by public transportation from one place to another...

I'll be staying in a hotel in Sorrento for 3 nights that is quite far from city center (6km), but there is a bus station in front of the hotel. While staying in Sorrento I want to go to Capri for one day and on the other day I want to go to Pompeii, Positano and Praiano.
Then I will spend one night in Salerno. While staying in Salerno I want to go to Amalfi and Ravello...and if time remains Paestum.

Are the roads too scary as people say?! Will I enjoy the ride even if I'm driving?! How are the parking facilities in those cities around the Amalfi Coast? Would you recommend me to drive or to use the public transportation?

Thank U!!!

Dan-Dan

RE: Driving and parking - Amalfi Coast

by rubbersoul75

The driving is not scary/trecherous as it is sometimes made out to be. The roads are well paved, fun to drive, but of course twisty. With a mid/small size car, quite maneagable. Realize there are buses on these roads so they have to be large enough for them.

However, you need to concentrate while driving so you you're not going to be able to take in the view as the passengers can. But with a car, you're able to stop as you like, there are many pull offs along the drive to park and get out. There are bus routes so taking public trasport is an option, but you'll get to see much more with your time if you have a car.

The drive on the north side of the penisula (pompeii to sorento) is not very twisty. On the south side (sorrento to salerno), you find the curvier roads. These main stretches are fine/wide enough. If you head off these routes, like further up into the mountains, it definately gets hairier.

If you are going to drive, I would check with your hotel in Salerno to maek sure they've got, ro can reccomend secure parking. Parking lots & street parking in Sorento, also Amalfi right by the water, but get there early in the day if possible.

ciao

RE: RE: Driving and parking - Amalfi Coast

by nicolaitan

Absolutely agree with Rubbersoul 100%. And best - Ravello has a very convenient parking lot one short flight of stairs from the main square and the church.

Travel Tips for Salerno

As Pompei and Ercolano are so...

by JaumeBCN

As Pompei and Ercolano are so near from Salerno and Naples, many people don't visit Paestum where there are some fantastic Greek temples, almost 'new' I would say. The most impressive of the temples is the Tempio di Neptuno (Vth century b.C.). Also there's a museum with nice paintings such as the Tomba del Tuffatore which includes the painting Gli Amanti (The Lovers). Some people say it's one of the most ancient gay paintings (480 b.C.).

Comments