Grand Excelsior Vittoria

Booking.com LHW.com Travelocity

Costs 75% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• enofile's Profile Photo

A DEPRESSING INDULGENCE!

I chose this hotel as a special treat. If I was going to be on the Amalfi Coast, I wanted to have a terrace over looking the Mediterranean
    and Mt. Vesuvious. My room did have a wonderful view, but it was small and antiquated in a rather stuffy manner lacking charm and panache. The bathroom was designed in a simple manner and would hardly be called luxurious. To my dismay, there was old, dried food splashed on the wall next to the bed. I called the front desk for them to come and clean up this mess left by the former guests, and they acted as if it would put them out. The establishment did not bother to clean up the mess until the following day! The entire hotel had an aura of forced snobbishness and it was ludicrously pretentious. For over $500.00 a night, I had one of my worst hotel experiences!

Unique Quality: This is suppose to be the nicest hotel in Sorrento. All I can say nice about this place is that the views were fantastic and the location great.

More about Grand Excelsior Vittoria

In Sorrento, for luxury, you...

by kathyceo

In Sorrento, for luxury, you can't beat the Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria.
Rates on the web site indicate 230EU and up per night High on a cliff overlooking the coastal beach. Ornate with rooms in the hotel and little individual rooms with private gardens toward the water. You take an elevator down to the beach and to catch the boat to Capri. Pool and other amenities. You can see Mt. Vesuvius from here!

Pleasantly Surprised

by TripAdvisor Member mrsez

after amazing nights in capri and positano we were afraid that the excelsior vittoria would be a let down...
well it was also amazing. a classic, old world experience.
our room was beautifully decorated and had an amazing terrace overlooking the water and mt. vesuvius.
the location can't be beat - right outside the driveway is the main square in sorrento.
the pool was sunny all day and really pretty. lemon and orange trees everywhere!!!
we took the elevator (thank god for it) down to the 'beach' one day - that was fun. we could look up at the hotel perched like a fortress above us.
great food out by the pool!
i can't imagine staying anywhere else in sorrento!

Service with Style

by TripAdvisor Member DuffyMoon88

Like others, having read some of the poor reviews on this site, I was apprehensive about our stay, having already booked it as the starting point for our honeymoon.

I needn't have worried. Start to finish, we couldn't have been made more welcome. It's relatively classical in style with a relaxed & luxurious feel to it, so if it's a buzzy modern style hotel that you're after, it may not be for you, but it fitted perfectly with the surroundings of the Sorrento coastline & certainly didn't feel 'tired' to us, as one previous reviewer had mentioned.

Thought the service was just as a top hotel should be. If you wanted stuffy bowing & scraping (as one or two seemed to), then that's what was delivered. If you wanted informal friendliness (without compromising professionalism), with a chance to have a chat with the waiters/managers & get their recommendations on things, as we did, then the same staff immediately adapted their style to suit.

The driveway/gardens approaching the hotel were fantastic, a definite bridge between the buzz of the main town area, before you entered the calm of the hotel. The room we stayed in was excellent (upgraded for us when they discovered it was our honeymoon), with a lovely balcony overlooking the Bay of Naples & the coastline, with Vesuvius in the distance - hard to beat a view like that!

Definietely recommend half board. Food was fantastic, (book earlier in the day to get a seat by the balcony), great service & we never felt the need to head elsewhere for our meals (we admitedly didn't research other restaurants very much, but certainly didn't pass anywhere that looked to be serving anything that compared with the quality and surroundings that was on offer at the hotel).

V nice pool with no problems securing sunbeds (though pricey poolside drinks/food).

All in all, a great stay & if we ever returned to Sorrento, I can't imagine wanting to try anywhere else.

Class Act

by TripAdvisor Member lmgreen

We had a beautiful but smallish room with balcony - and a view over the bay of Naples not to be believed. The common areas are gorgeous including an orange grove and other gardens with a guard to keep out the "riff-raff". The breakfast was complete with eggs and bacon, hot vegetables, cooked to order omelets, smoked salmon, cold meats, fruit platters, pastries etc. Friendly staff always make you feel welcome. A classy place for those who appreciate the finer touches.

Truly Grand!

by TripAdvisor Member zippymonkey

We stayed here for 3 nights during our honeymoon, on the "Anniversary Package", which was expensive - but worth every penny.

A taxi driver, included in the package, greeted us at Naples airport, and the hotel is a (somewhat precarious) 60 minutes drive away.

Attention to detail was high - we were greeted at reception with a complimentary cocktail, and a wonderful surprise (which went much beyond just an ordinary bottle of champagne!) awaited us in our room later on our first day. The room was large, with very high ceilings, interesting decor and a massive balcony overlooking the Bay of Naples and the marina.

The candlelight dinner, part of the package, but available to all, was fabulous. Breakfast, likewise, couldn't be faulted, and staff were courteous and helpful.

We ended up spending each lunchtime at the poolside restaurant, which offered a limited, albeit very tasty selection of local food. The pool was large and clean, and rarely crowded.

The hotel is located right in the centre of town, accessible via a very pleasant garden walkway, replete with lemon trees and rotund local cats. There are many pleasant cafes and restaurants in the town within a few minutes walk.

A truly memorable hotel, and utterly recommended for any special occasion.

Customer service?

I have to admit that I have no idea what the hotel is like, the reason being we booked it for our wedding reception but didn't make it there.
Some months after taking our booking and deposit, after we had selected our menus for the meal and long after all our guests had booked their flights and accommodation (travelling from as far afield as Australia) they cancelled our booking.
The reason as explained to us at the time was that they had an offer of a larger Italian wedding, and that they give preference to Italian wedding parties.
Needless to say the whole experience was incredibly distressing for us as it was, however I have to say the attitude of the hotel management added insult to injury, as they were far from apologetic.
I'm sure many visitors to the hotel have a wonderful experience, however I wouldn't recommend booking it for a wedding party.

Great Setting, Very Poor Hotel Service

We booked here for our honeymoon for a couple of nights as we had been told it was one of the best hotels. As we usually stay 5 star around the world, I was instantly blown away by the beautiful interior and history of the Hotel. However, the joy stopped there....
Despite booking a WEDDING dinner there (and in fact arriving in my wedding dress) we were not given the sort of treament we would expect from a 'grand' hotel, let alone a warm or dignified italian welcome. The food was okay, the service laughable - and if I hadn't been on such a high, I would have been really upset. Not even a free glass of champagne, or a toast! We visit Capri, Amalfi, Sorrento twice a year and this is our worst ever experience of italian hospitality. Absolute rubbish (we moved to Hotel Bristol instead, then the Capri Palace Spa, our regular Hotels that although not having the grand surroundings, have soooo much more to offer). A lot of the residents and staff seemed to want to sell the idea that the Hotel is for higher society, when actually if you are really, genuinely rich,'stealth wealth' would go elsewhere....we did! Pop in to look around, but there are much better places.

A hotel that divides opinion

by TripAdvisor Member JWFS

Reviews show that this hotel seems to neatly divide opinion - it certainly did with my wife and myself. She loved it, although I was rather more circumspect. The location and view from the balcony are fabulous but the room was noisy, with interconnecting doors that amplified matters. Breakfast was fine and the pool area is excellent.
As previous reviewers have stated, you cannot really account for other guests and there is nothing worse than the braying english middle classes and their rather idiosyncratically named chilldren, but that's life!
Recommend you don't eat at the hotel and get a michelen guide to explore the wide range of excellent restaurants on your doorstep.

I say skip this one

This hotel is quite beautiful. Unfortunely for us we got the only modern style decor in the hotel. (I booked a old world sytle suite) The front desk staff was unattentive and might I say a bit rude. The porters were very nice and helpful.

Sorrento was nice-- the shopping was ok- but all in all it was not what I thought my experience should be. We drove up the coast to Positano and stopped off at the Hotel San Pietro and were blown away by this Hotel. Its perched on a cliff with beautiful gardens all the way down to the water. I think this hotel would have been a better choice.
Plus we talked to many guests who were thrilled with their choice of hotels.-- Check it out on the internet.

Hotel Excelsior VittoriaHotel Excelsior Vittoria

Hotel Excelsior VittoriaHotel Excelsior Vittoria

hotel with suite and terrace overlooking the sea

by scpeterson

Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel that offers a suite or junior suite with a terrace overlooking the sea? I am willing to spend up to about $600 US a night.

RE: hotel with suite and terrace overlooking the sea

by nicolaitan

if you are willing to go to Positano, check out the Sireneuse which my associate loved and the San Pietro (the latter on my page and others) for views to die for. In Amalfi, the Santa Caterina is also a five star hotel on the water - Hillary Clinton and daughter Chelsea stayed there. The views from the Hotel Palazzo Sesso in Ravello are also spectacular (my page and others). Each is very expensive, 5 star, and top rated in Europe by the travel mags.

RE: hotel with suite and terrace overlooking the sea

by KDieke

In Sorrento the only place to stay is the Bellevue Syrene. We stayed there last year and will be going again in May. The hotel and rooms are wonderful and the rooms are on a cliff overlooking the med. Nothing between you and the water.
Have a great time.

RE: RE: hotel with suite and terrace overlooking the sea

by newwoman

I stayed in a hotel called the Grande Royale and it was wonderful and not as expensive as you want to pay. In the morning you could look at the Bay of Naples from the bed without having to move a leg!! Also it is only 5 minute walk from centre. There is a more expensive hotel almost next door, I think it's called excellsior or Vittoria excellsior. Ciao... Mary

RE: RE: hotel with suite and terrace overlooking the sea

by Spero

Mary, You are absolutely right about the Grand Hotel Royal. It is in the center of Sorrento but it is in a very serene setting with a spectacular view of Vesuvius, Naples and to the left,the Isle of Capri. What is great is that while it is all updated they have kept the ambience of the 19th century with their statuary, wall/furniture decoration and overall architectural design. I am a Romantic and sitting upon the balcony at sunset overlooking the tropical gardens and pools is a great way to end the day after after seeing Pompeii or Positano.While I have stayed at the Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria which is quite beautiful and 5 stars, the Royal is much more affordable for me. I found this hotel on www.manniellohotels.it. I hope you found your way to La Favorita O'Parrucchiano restaurant on Corso Italia where many levels of cascading gardens prepare you for some of the best Neapolitan food I have ever tasted and I should know because my mother was an Italian chef. In fact her parents had their wedding dinner here before the turn of the 20th century! I wish al of your who are tavelling to the Sorrento peninsula this summer. You are truly blessed.

Comments