Via Correale 42, Sorrento, Campania, 80067, Italy

Costs 95% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Grand Hotel Royal

Stunning Views

by TripAdvisor Member MariaGrant

Spectacular views across the Bay Of Naples to Mount Vesuvius. Situated on the waterfront, a few minutes walk from the main Piazza and lots of good restaurants. Well presented Hotel with spacious rooms and beautifully furnished common areas. Hotel staff very friendly and helpful (if you're keen to pick up some Italian phrases they are more than happy to indulge you). Excellent Buffet Breakfast (egg dishes made to order by chef)

First Class at the Royal

Just got back from our honeymoon tour of Italy, our first stop being the Grand Royal hotel in Sorrento. The hotel is a short walk (2 mins) from the main square in Sorrento, perfectly situated away from the main hub of the tourists. Hotel is spacious, clean and yes it's Grand! Interior is charming, lots of sofas, mirrors, ornate decor (perfect to escape the heat). Our room was clean, spacious and had a balcony with a sea view overlooking the Bay of Naples. The views really do have to be seen to be believed. Perfect for honeymooners as you can sip a cocktail (from the extensive menu) at a table in the gardens overlooking the sea. It's peaceful, romantic and very well maintained. The pool is a good size (although you are charged 5 Euros a day for your sunbed) and there is a dining area just off the pool where you can have an excellent lunch/snack. Any unfinished drinks can be taken back by the pool which is good if you fancy a bottle of wine. Breakfast is excellent (they do everything!) and entertainment was provided in the evenings if you fancy staying put. Stunning views, lots of areas to sunbathe/read/have a drink and good food. An excellent experience.

It' a shame

by TripAdvisor Member MISS CAPRI

First the positive part: the location is very good, near the Piazza Tasso...The building is nice too but....I expect for 300 euro a day, without meals that at least you can get a deckchair without paying 5 euro and twice a day fresh towels is no luxury in a hot place, especially a 4 star hotel. I was really dissapointed.

Very romantic hotel

Royal is one of the best hotels of Sorrento. Relaxing atmosphere, beautiful garden, nice building and rooms, very clean blue sea, privat beach, frendly service, delisious food, successful placement: quiet but near the cener of Sorrento.
It was unforgettable honeymoon. I love Sorrrento. I recommend Royal.

Vey enjoyable stay

by TripAdvisor Member CBaxterYork_UK

We stayed at the Grand Royal in August 2005 and had a very enjoyable stay. The best thing was our room and the view. Although it's more expensive it's definitely worth booking a room at the back of the hotel with a sea-view. The rooms on the front face out onto a busy road and sitting out on the balcony wouldn't have had quite the same appeal! Our room was spacious and spotlessly clean - I agree that towels were in short supply but if you ask for more it's not a problem.
Breakfast was great - very varied and a lovely setting. The pool is beautiful but I admit it is a little disappointing at a hotel which costs 300 Euros a night to pay 5 extra euros a day for a sunbed. The other downside we found was the practice of guests 'reserving' sunbeds with towels and magazines. We even saw people sneaking down in the middle of the night to do it! I know it happens in a lot of places but it seemed worse here than anywhere we've been.
That said, we found the staff pleasant, the room fantastic and the location couldn't be beaten in Sorrento - within easy walking distance of the main square but also peaceful with the most amazing views. It's also close to the train station, bus stops and marina so transport around the area is really easy. I would recommend it but don't expect it to come cheap!

Molto bene, Royal

by TripAdvisor Member Franticflo

As the hydrofoil pulled into the Sorrento dock, we saw our hotel's name on a lovely structure on the front row of the Sorrento cliff. We took the bus up to the Piazza Tasso (the center of town) and walked a couple of blocks to the Royal. Our room was ready,even though it was 11:30, Luigi at the reception desk was lovely, and our room, with a large balcony overlooking the Bay of Salerno was wonderful. There's a small park right across the street from the hotel, and the Circumvesuviana ( the train that you will use with great ease to get to Pompeii or Herculeum) is 2 blocks away. Breakfast was served in a lovely room with many choices, including crepes and fresh omelettes. There's a beautiful garden, and a lovely pool with service. While not inexpensive (290E), we thought it was a very good value!

Beautiful Hotel, Poor food

This was our first visit to Sorrento. We were very lucky to get such a beautiful view over looking the bay. Our room was spacious and clean. The downside was the food. The breakfast was ok. You had a large variety of bread on offer and 3 kinds of cereal. There was also sausage and bacon, although the sausage was more like hotdog. There was also eggs and omlettes. The dinner in our opinion was terrible. While there was a pretty good selection the dining room has about 50 tables so the food seemed to be mass produced and lacking any imagination. It was not what you would expect for 200 euro PPS a night in a 4 * hotel. Even though we had full board we only ate the dinner there one night. The staff were friendly and the morning we left we got some food packaged nicely for our flight. One other thing to beware of, the internet is not free. It is 5 euro per hour. The reason I point this out is that it was explained to me that you give a 5 euro deposit for the internet credit card and then when you give the card back your deposit is refunded. However when I went to pay at the end of our stay they had tacked on a 10 euro charge for my 1 hour and 15 mins of internet usage. I did get the deposit back though. I would recommend this hotel but if possible just stay there on a B&B basis. This way you will not waste money on the dinner and you can then enjoy the atmosphere in the town's many restaurants each evening.

Grand Royal is Truly Grand!

My husband & I just returned from 4 nights at the Grand Roytal Hotel in Sorrento, Italy. We had a large corner room with 2 sea-view/balconies that was fabulous. We watched the cruise ships dock and had fabulous views of Mt. Vesuvius and Capri. Room was large, bathroom was marble w/2 sinks and huge tub/shower and the bed was very large/excellent. Breakfast was inside or outside and food was wonderful with make to order crepes/omlettes, etc. with wonderful breads/fruits and service. Weather was also wonderful, 75/55 with bright sun the entire stay. The best part was that rates had just dropped - our 4 day stay was 740 euros, compared to their normal 1,200 and up. We had the best of both worlds. Sorrento is very touristy and this time of year there are many tour groups with large British contingency; you need to seek out the local flavor. It is a great place for home base. Location could not be beat - 5 minutes to the local train station, the ferry port so close we could watch from our room and 5 minutes to the main square. Day trip to Pompeii takes 30 minutes on Circumvesuviana and no need for tour guide. We did it on our own with audioguide, which works great. Dinners were great in local restaurants, but many close end of October until Easter. The museum 2 blocks away was also worth a visit, as was afternoon lunch at Marina Grande - Delfino's Rest. was excellent. We also did a day trip with a driver down the Almalfi Coast which was much better than a bus. Would not advise driving yourself - ferries also stop the end of October. Advice: pack light if you're taking trains - we bought an extra bag in Rome & shopped there before heading home. Intercity train from Rome to Naples is just as efficient (reserved seating required) as eurostar for half the price. We had a wonderful vacation and look forward to returning!

A Perfect Place to Stay

I stayed at the Royal for the 3rd year running for a fortnight. The staff are lovely and greeted my parents and myself as "old friends". The hotel itself has got charm with plenty of places to sit inside and out. The rooms were more than comfortable, and very clean. I had a single room which was a good-sized room and even had it's own balcony. My parents chose a seaview room, which is spectacular for watching sunrises over Vesuvius. The hotel terrace is great, places to sit in the sun or shade. The swimming pool is good too, and it's great to be able to go down in the lift to swim in the Med.
This hotel is very central to the town itself, as well as being an ideal base to visit further afield: Capri, Naples, Pompeii, Amalfi Drive etc, all well-worth visiting.
I like the place so much we're booked already for next June!!!!

Perfect Position

by TripAdvisor Member mikey47

We spent a wonderful week at the Hotel Royal in July and it was just perfect.
We arrived late at night but delighted to see that the staff had set a cold platter in our room for us. We unpacked then sat and ate on the balcony looking out across the bay at Naples!
Next morning we opened the shutters and had the most delighful view of the sea and Vesuvius in the distance.
The food and service were fine and the hotel's location is perfect.

One word of warning is that the rooms at the front overlook a busy road and have no view. Pay more for the back of the hotel. The view made our holiday complete.

PositanoPositano

Ristorante Parrucchiano GardenRistorante Parrucchiano Garden

views as we approach Sorrentoviews as we approach Sorrento

View from the busView from the bus

Vietnamese residents or restaurants in Sorrento?

by stefanosjb

I know this may be a stupid question but I can take the beating from it. My girlfriend was born in Vietnam and was wondering if there was a restaurant in the area. From my visits I don't recall seeing any, but I satisfied her by asking.

Re: Vietnamese residents or restaurants in Sorrento?

by mccalpin

Well, if mama says it's not a stupid question, then I guess it ain't a stupid question ;-)

I have looked in the Italian online Yellow Pages as well as in Yahoo Search, and I haven't found any Vietnamese restaurants in Campania (the region that Naples and Sorrento are in) - I did find 2 in Rome and 1 in Milan...oh, well...

I have to admit that I am a little surprised in that there are plenty of Asian restaurants in Rome (where I lived), but there seems to be very few if any in the greater Neapolitan area...well, you asked, anyway...

Bill