Grand Hotel de la Ville

Grand Hotel De La Ville
Expedia.com Venere.com Booking.com

Costs 63% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Sorrento luxury ?

Ideal location almost in the centre of Sorrento but there are better locations for the same money. The food was excellent. Our room was basic and poor for the money, it is an expensive hotel. The staff were excellent and the entertainment fair. Beware the bar bill. No money is exchanged for drinks or food purchased in the hotel and can be quite a considerable sum if left for two weeks before settling. The pool area is small and becomes quickly crowded. We had a good stay but vastly overpriced.

Unique Quality: The food is not to be missed. The Maitre de makes the evening meal a memorable experience. Breakfast on the terrace is sublime.

More about Grand Hotel de la Ville

Superb

After reading the bad reviews on this wonderful hotel I felt compelled to put the record straight. My husband and I stayed at the Grand Hotel De La Ville in June 2004 to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. The staff are polite and helpful as were all the Italians we met. The food (oh the food!) was fabulous. A big thank you for Enzo and his staff for being so pleasant and amusing. Our room was beautiful and spacious with a view over the Bay of Naples and Vesuvius. The location was fantastic, within easy walking distance to the main piazza and the harbour in fact everything we needed was on our doorstep. In all it was the most romantic holiday we've ever had and we fell in love all over again. Only dreams are made of this!

Excellent hotel and location

by TripAdvisor Member geohab

Spacious, beautifully decorated room with a patio overlooking the nursery and beyond the trees the Gulf of Naples and Mt Vesuvius--though only partially visible from our room (215). Very comfortable; we looked forward to returning to the room. The breakfast was outstanding...everything you could want; excellent service. Problem: You're unable to make any toll-free calls from your room; also, it would be nice to have some in-room coffee pot (for these high daily rates!). I have to mention (unfortunately) we spotted, occasionally in our 7 night stay, some ants in the bathroom. No big deal...at least they're Italian ants, not New York ants, so they're a little more exotic to us!--But the hotel really needs to take care of this! The place also ought to provide newspapers or a little gift shop for guests...though the absence of these amenities makes de la Ville feel more like an apartment house than a "tourist hotel," which is a good thing! 80% British British tourists...Americans seeking their own should look elsewhere. But couples we met were very friendly and we have kept in touch by e-mail with some. Great location--10 min. walk to Piazza Tasso, to main train/bus station, and to supermarket. EARLY WAKE UP CALL: Be ready for the neighborhood roster at 7:15 a.m. The chubby desk clerk Gaetano is the best--very friendly, good sense of humor, very helpful. GENERAL TIP: Use public transit--buses and trains are frequent, efficient and inexpensive. We'd go back--to this hotel and to Sorrento. GO, GO, GO!

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member captnkirk

I stayed at Hotel De la Ville for 3 nights from 25th October on the top (5th floor). The hotel was nicely appointed with the bar, dining and other common rooms and corridors well furnished and decorated. My room was a good size, nicely appointed and best of all with a great balcony looking out over the Bay of Naples. The desk staff were welcoming and very helpful as were the waiters and bar staff. Did not dine in the evening wanting to sample the town restaurants but the buffet breakfast was extensive and nicely presented in the lovely dining room. Could not have wished for a better stay in a lovely area and would recommend this hotel highly.

Great Hotel, good food, wonderful service

My wife and I, and our 2 teenage children, have just returned from a holiday at this hotel. I cannot fault the hotel, the food was the best I have ever had on a Package holiday. Add to this the fact that the food was served by the most friendly and professional waiters and it made mealtimes a delightful experience. My daughters refused my offer to take them out to dinner on the last night as they did not want to miss dinner in the hotel. My eldest, normally a poor eater, ate more during the holiday than she would normally eat in a month.
The rooms were spotless and very attractive with good quality furniture and fittings, and from both balconies the view of the Bay of Naples and Vesuvius was stunning.
I would not hesitate to return to this superb Hotel.

Ok, but would go elsewhere next time

We stayed for 5 of the most sleepless nights that we've ever had on vacation. Between the 4 am garbage truck and the 5 or 6 am street sweeper, and then the 7 am rooster (mentioned below), we were awaken very early each morning. It was unseasonably hot (Mid oct) yet the air conditioning had been "turned off for the season" so we were forced to sleep in a hot stuffy room or suffer with all the outside noise. We thought about requesting to change our room which faced the gulf (and the noisy street) for a room that faced the garden - until we heard the construction at the hotel next door during an early morning breakfast.

The hotel was nice and the room spacious and clean. The staff helpful and pleasant. The breakfast the nice. We loved the garden courtyard and enjoyed a bottle of wine there. There were many, many nice things about the hotel, but the noise was a real problem for us and would prevent us from returning in the future. Instead, we would look for a hotel that was right on the coast rather than set back and near a busy street.

My favourite Hotel in Sorrento

by TripAdvisor Member quasarbrenda

In October 2004 I returned for the second time to this lovely hotel. I had previously been with my daughter and we found its location, its staff and our room all of the very best standard, friendly and kind. This time I went with my husband, Frank, and he also loved the view from our balcony, the excellent food and the warmth of the staff was just to his liking and he wants to return again. The reception staff particularly Gaetano cannot do enough for you and the location, being close to the town centre and the railway station and coach trip hub, cannot be bettered for the price. I would recommend a coach trip to Paestum which will blow your mind. It is like a film set with its 3 Greek temples and a fabulous museum. All other trips such as Pompeii, Herculaneum and Naples are quick and very cheap on the train which drops you off outside the sites. Call in at the Spinnaker Snack bar in Piazza San Francisco for a cheap and sustaining lunch and endure the insults of Max (Funny not serious) But one treat absolutely not to be missed is a walk or bus ride to the Marino Grande for lunch at Delphino's the restaurant on stilts in the Bay. Their food and home produced wine, followed by a nap in the glorious sunshine on one of their free sunbeds out over the water is just heavenly. Oh how I wish now in the depths of February I was back there. The prawns are to die for. Enjoy!! Sorrento is my heart's home now.

Loved this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member hebedee

I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights in April with my mum and sister and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone! The attitude of the staff (reception, bar, restaurant and chambermaids) was exceptional. Nothing was too much trouble. We stayed on a B&B basis so we could sample the town food, breakfast was very good. The room was fantastic. We were on the top floor and had good views. The rooster is noisy and there was some noise from the sun deck at strange times but generally we were very pleased and would really recommend this hotel and will definately go back again!

Very pleased with this Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member wackyjack

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in early May, 2005. The Hotel is a little hard to find at first, but is in a very good location. Close to Piazza Tasso, but not to close to be noisy. They upgraded me to a seaview room, and it was wonderful! It overlooked lemon groves, Mt. Vesivius and the bay, which had a clipper boat and a cruise boat parked there.

The room was nice and the bathroom was a good size. Very clean. The breakfast buffet was excellent, made to order omlettes, breads, pasteries, fresh juice, even mimosas! Walking distance (10 minutes) to Piazza Tasso, and to the ferry to Capri, and to the train to Pompeii. Very nice hotel and we were very pleased to come back to the room every day.

Nice Hotel & good Location

My Fiancé & I stayed at Hotel De la Ville for 7 nights in May/June to check out Sorrento as we are getting married Sorrento next year. The hotel is in a good location only a few minutes walk from the Centre and on a one way street so the traffic wasn’t that bad (Sorrento is very busy traffic area). The hotel had all the amenities that most people require, good size rooms with high ceilings, ours was at the front with a lovely view of the Bay of Naples & Mount Vesuvius. All rooms are fitted with electric shutter on the French doors used as a blackout for a good nights sleep, due to the fact that this is fitted to the outside (a gap a the top of the French doors) you do get a bit more traffic noise that you would normally, but in most hotels in Sorrento you will get traffic noise. The hotel was very clean, staff nice and the breakfast was good. The hotel offers a large swimming pool on the ground floor with a bar and garden, where you can sit and have breakfast. There is a small pool on the top floor with a bar & great views over the bay and if you are driving the hotel has a small garage and parking, which they charge for, but is worth it at the Italians are erratic drivers and most vehicles have some damage to them OH ! and watch out for mopeds !. I have already recommended this to my friends & family as a place to stay next year for our wedding.

Comments