Via del Capo 31B, Sorrento, Campania, 80067, Italy

Booking.com Priceline.com

• Good Price, Good Service, Decent Location

After a long, confused walk in the wrong direction I made my way up the Cape to Hotel Desiree. Located in an older building hanging off the edge of the cliff, Hotel Desiree is a quiet, relaxing hotel not too far from the city center (two minutes by car, ten minutes by foot). Reception is on the top floor and the rooms are on the lower floors; there is no elevator. My room was clean and had a balcony with views of the cape and sea (but not the city). The hotel has a private beach at the foot of the cliff.

This hotel stands out due to the excellent service at the front desk. Employees are really eager to provide assistance, and can provide maps of Sorrento and Pompeii, transportation information and schedules, and suggestions regarding local attractions. The man working at the front desk went out of his way to contact the harbour authority (after tourist information didn't answer the phone) to find out whether seasonal boat service from Sorrento to Amalfi had begun yet.

I paid EUR 60 for a single room with breakfast in high season. Prices are very reasonable compared to other Sorrento hotels.

* * * * *

ARRIVAL INSTRUCTIONS (by foot)

Upon exiting the train station, walk down the little hill to Corso Italia. Turn left and keep walking (past the big piazza), and KEEP RIGHT along the water! The hotel is about a ten minute walk (with luggage) from the point where Corso Italia becomes Via del Capo. It's not hard to find but the streets are very poorly marked. Consider bringing a map printed from Via Michelin.

More about Hotel Desiree

Great views, great people

by ReetSLP about Hotel Desiree--Sorrento

Hotel Desiree is located up the hill from downtown Sorrento. It's not a bad idea to grab a taxi to get there if you're hauling luggage, but it's not a bad walk otherwise; probably 15 minutes to get up, 10 to get down. Our room was on the ground floor and slept 4. We didn't have the best view in the hotel, but it was still great. There is an even better view from the patio of the restaurant next door (Tonnarello).
Our room was clean and the bathroom was pretty typical for Italy. Some of my roommates weren't crazy about the hand held shower and no curtain or door around the tub, but it wasn't a big deal.
The staff at Desiree were very helpful. They lent us a map and guide book for Pompeii, suggested restaurants that were definite winners, and gave us great advice on everything from what to do in Amalfi to how to stay safe if we went out in Naples.
Breakfast was served in a cute breakfast room. Tastey pastries, cereal, yogurt, coffee and tea were all served. The views are fantastic and I got a kick out of the resident cat who liked to make his wishes known to the cleaning and kitchen staff. He was a very vocal cat!

Sweet Stay Sorrento

by Aliceson about Hotel Desiree

This was a great little place. Found it in the guide book as I got off the train in Sorrento from Naples and desperately need a place to crash. Place was spotless. Ended up staying 4 nights! Easy travel to Capri, and Amalfi. Hotel staff were very helpful and spoke english +. They'd advise me on what to watch out for on the train to Pompeii and not to eat the food outside the gates of Pompeii. Poor little puppies.

The town of Ravella was a treat - Villa Cimbrone was one of those places that transports you back in time - very dramatic setting with low hanging clouds out on the Terrace of Infinity. Ahhhh, I want to go back. Too many places to see

Best pasta in Italy

by ReetSLP about Verdemare-Sorrento

Verdemare was recommended to us by one of the front desk people at Hotel Desiree for having great food at reasonable prices. I can't thank him enough for the recommendation. This is the only restaurant we ate at twice in Italy. As it's name would suggest, it seemed to specialize in seafood, but that wasn't the only thing on the menu.
I can't even describe to you how good the food was here! Both nights I had the ravioli in broth soup to start. I don't know what made it so special, but it was delicious. On our first night I had scialatielli alla Siciliana, which was a fresh pasta in an eggplant, tomato and mozzarella sauce. Everyone agreed it was the winning dish of the night. I had a baked chicken breast the second night and it was also very good-very juicy with a light crisp outside. Ravioli in broth soup and scialatielli all Siciliana.

Solo in Sorrento

by Quelvie

"10 Days in Sorrento While Studying Italiano"

In May, 2005 I spent 10 days on the Amalifi Coast while attending the Sorrento Lingue language school.

I stayed at Hotel Desiree, a quaint family owned inn just a few minutes walk from the center of Sorrento. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to enjoy the Amalfi Coast on a moderate budget. The staff was great and the room was simple but comfortable.

"Rent a Scooter and Motor Around to See the Sights"

I prefer to explore, on my own, when possible. It's nice to have time to see the area without a tour director telling you where to look and what to care about. May is a beautiful time of year in Sorrento!

"View From Taverna Azzurra at the Marina"

Take time to walk down to the marina area. It's very relaxing to sit near the water and enjoy a meal. My favorite restaurant was Taverna Azzurra. The Italian owner and his red-headed Irish wife are wonderful and their son, the cook, does an amazing job with fresh seafood.

Staff Member at Hotel DesireeStaff Member at Hotel Desiree

View From Main Road Near Hotel DesireeView From Main Road Near Hotel Desiree

Hotel Desiree?

by kram3801

I am unable to book rooms at Hotel Desiree. Any updates available?

by hawkhead

Don't really know what you mean by updates, but if you are looking for alternative accommodation to the Hotel Desiree in Sorrento....In February we stayed at the Hotel Mignon Meuble, booked through www.booking.com. Leics stayed at Hotel Savoia, also in February. Don't know when you are going but you could try those as we both unequivocably recommend them. Look in the Sorrento Forum as we both recently answered a similar question. Also see my Sorrento pages.

by leics

Idon't know what you mean either.

It may be that the hotel simply does not want/need to accept online agency bookings at the moment.

Their website is here:

and their email/phone details:

info@desireehotelsorrento.com

Tel: 081.878.1563

by ReetSLP

My friends and I booked a room at Hotel Desiree for this April. We had to book by emailing them through their website (which leics provided). They were very prompt in responding to my email.

by leics

Excellent news.......hope you have a brilliant trip (actually, am sure you will). :-)

Comments