Hotel Villa Maria Sorrento

Costs 61% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Hotel Villa Maria Sorrento

beautiful hotel with swimming-pool

by TripAdvisor Member italiansunset

We spend 10 nights at the Hotel Villa Maria which we booked directly with the Hotel. The rooms are immaculate. My husband and I enjoyed our stay. The location of the hotel is good and it only took us about 5 mins to walk into the main square. The service at the hotel was excellent with all the members of staff being friendly and helpful. Swimming-pool area is fantastic.

Hotel Staff Dishonest and Underhand

We stayed in Hotel Villa Maria 2nd week of October, booked out after two nights, due to a number of unacceptable issues with the room, safety, cleanliness and noise. On checkout we complained to the lady at reception, she rang the manager, and agreed to charge us only for the 2 nights we had stayed there, this totalled Euro 347.50. I signed the transaction slip for this amount only. On returning home, I reviewed by credit card statement to find that she had also debited my credit card for Euro 318. I did not sign for this transaction, and the lady on reception had confirmed that she was only charging for the two nights. I have complained to the hotel and they have been unhelpful and unwilling to listen to our complaint. They do not seem to find it unacceptable to debit your credit card without authorisation.

no regrets with Maria

Hotel Villa Maria turned out to be an ideal mid-price (for Sorrento) location. The hotel is clean and breakfast is pleasantly adequate. The rooms are very small but, I've been told that is common in this area. Besides, when you finally get to this part of the world, don't spend your time in the room. It also has a small but enjoyable roof-top pool for cooling off or for relaxing on the deck with a beer or book. The top roof of the hotel provides great views of Sorrento and the bay area.

Finally, the hotel is at the end of the main strip. This allows for some quiet at night but, also allows you to walk everywhere - the strip, bus & train station and the boat harbour for trips to Capri, Ischia, Positano, etc. The hotel is also walking distance to the fisherman's harbour where many good seafood restaurants reside.

I would advise against getting a hotel on the high cliffs above the downtown because the freedom to walk everywhere is terrific.

Enjoy it, we did.

Lovely clean Hotel, in a Fantastic location!!

Before we booked this hotel, we were rather put off by some of the reviews on this page....Thank god we went ahead anyway!!!!
The staff were very pleasent, only 10mins flat walk to the centre, very clean rooms, Room with a beautiful view across the bay and mount Vesuvius, clean swimming pool (cleaned every night!!), lovely buffet breakfast with some beautiful Italian cakes (remember to take some for a snack later on!!), mini-market next door. Just one thing...Our room was next to the main road and like many roads in Italy were very noisey with horns blowing persistantly, although this didn't cause us any sleep deprivation. (The locally made 'Lemoncello' may have seen to that! do make sure you sample some!)

Villa Maria - much better than expected

We stayed at the Villa Maria as a result of a change to our original Hotel booking by our Tour Company . From the reviews we read we were very concerned that our first trip to Sorrento might not be as we had anticipated. We worried un-neccesarily.
The Villa Maria is excellent value , the rooms are clean tidy will en suite, bed linen is changed daily ,. All of the Hotel Staff are friendly and helpful - Please note that they really appreciate it if you try to speak Italian - no matter how badly. The pool area is good and the snacks served at lunchtime are reasonable value if you don't fancy a trek into town, which is not too far away (500/800 m)
The food in the restuarant is simple but good - a daily choice of Meat , Chicken , Fish or a Vegetarian option .
The rooms all have balconies , Those at the back of the Hotel are very quiet
Be aware that this is an Italian Hotel in an Italian city - if you expect a full English Breakfast just because you are English then you will be disappointed and would do better in Blackpool
We thought it was excellent - much better than expected from the reviews - and we are extremely fussy. Would we recommend the Villa Maria to friends - certainly we would !

Average Hotel

We ended up staying at the Villa Maria for 3 days due to a booking gone wrong at a B&B up the street. They were very accomodating and got us a room at a reasonable price. The hotel itself is very average but they do have a pool and some rooms with partial views of the sea. Sorrento was too over-crowded with tourists and was one of my least favorite cities on my trip through Italy. One night is more than enough. You would be better served spending the rest of your time on the Amalfi Coast or on Capri.

No problems with 'Maria'

Stayed here with my wife and two grown daughters in Oct. '05 and enjoyed our stay very much, nice comfortable rooms with a reasonable view, plenty of hot water and excellent breakfast.

2nd choice but turned out the best choice

We had not picked this hotel but we were put there instead of our 1st choice.It was just great.Had a wonderful time staff were really lovely.Location was ideal and we had a brill holiday

Perfect Location

by TripAdvisor Member Italy4X

We stayed at Villa Maria from March 20th through March 27th. The room was beautifully tiled, clean and the shower was large, wonderful hot water pressure. Close to everything but still far enough away to be quiet at night. The daily breakfast was very generous, eggs, juices, fresh fruits, yogurt, rolls and cakes. It was also within walking distance of the train station to Pompeii and Naples. We took it to Rome on the Eurostar. Fast train and a travel agency is across the street from the hotel. We were able to purchase our train tickets there. The dock was close by for a ferry ride to Capri. We rented a car and drove to Positano and Amalfi.

A grocery store was around the corner as was an internet cafe. The staff couldn't have been kinder. Our 4th trip to Italy and we are definitely coming back and staying at the Villa Maria.

Nice hotel, but too noisy

Stayed there on 4/25-4/27. Hotel is nice and clean. Breakfast was ok. Staffs are helpful. Only few weakness point is slightly to faraway from town which need to take 10-15 mins walk. Cab ride from train station is 15 EUR. The MAIN weakness is IT"S TOO NOISY. We got the room which next to the street and hotel doean't turn on A/C so we have to open window. Therefore, it's VERY VERY NOISY. You would ask them to ask the room in the back, but you will trade off with sea view.

Detail, Roman baths, PompeiiDetail, Roman baths, Pompeii

Vela BiancaVela Bianca

Prayer candles inside Amalfi CathedralPrayer candles inside Amalfi Cathedral

Restaurant's exteriorRestaurant's exterior

Sorrento During Christmas

by star1204

Hello~
I will be visting Sorrento and Capri after seeing Rome. A friend of mine whose been to Sorrento and Capri is saying that I should wait until it gets warmer to go down south because of the cold weather and many places not being open? . But because of the low cost during december, I will be going the last 2 weeks of december. Anyone think that I should wait? Will stores and attractions be open at both Sorrento and Capri. I hear so many things on Capri-really want to go! please help!

Re: Sorrento During Christmas

by leics

I'm going in February; it's not what I would call cold in that part of Europe at any time of the year! Not blazing warm sunshine, obviously, maybe some rain, a little chilly but perfectly bearable for sightseeing and exploring if one dresses appropriately.

I think that most things will be open out of season (people live in the area, and there are visitors all year round). Certainly the archaeological sites/museums etc are. Opening hours may be shorter, and public transport working to a winter timetable, but I'm sure you'll enjoy visiting even in December. Crowds will be fewer and, as you note, costs lower so it's worthwhile from my pov.

Comments