Hotel la Residenza - Sorrento

Via Rota 1, on the grounds of Hotel Parco dei Principi, Sorrento, Campania, 80067, Italy
Hotel La Residenza
Booking.com Venere.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 42% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

More about Sorrento

SHOPPING DOWN THE NARROW ROADS OF SORRENTOSHOPPING DOWN THE NARROW ROADS OF SORRENTO

Side-street shops, SorrentoSide-street shops, Sorrento

Pasticceria MonicaPasticceria Monica

Fishermen in Marina GrandeFishermen in Marina Grande

Churches in Sorrento

by ValeryCollins

First an answer. I was trying to find the venue of an art exhibition in April 2009. It was Florist Ruoppo - if any one has any images of this courtyard I wouls be very grateful if I could see them.
Now I am trying to identify some churches that I visited - if anyone can help I have posted the images on my homepage (I hope, I am a bit of a techno phobic).
Thanks
Valery

by hawkhead

Can't seem to raise the photos on your home page.

by goodfish

Hawkhead, they're posted in an album labeled "Sorrento" at the bottom of her HP.

I'm pretty sure the first one is Chiesa di San Francesco

by hawkhead

Thank you, Goodfish, they have come up this time.

by goodfish

You're welcome! I'm googling images like crazy but it seems a fair amount of people didn't know what they were shooting either - can find the right images but no labels! And my memory of the churches is too dim.

I'll keep working on it...maybe you'll be more successful. :)

by goodfish

The 4th one might be Basilica di Sant Antonino. It's all dressed up for some special occasion so the altar is hidden behind the drapery.

by Kathrin_E

Very interesting decorations. I assume these photos were taken during the Easter week?

(Not of much help with your question, I know...)

by goodfish

#2 might be Chiesa di San Paolo. Again, the wooden cross appears to be temporary and there for a special season.

by goodfish

#3 appears to be Chiesa dei Santi Felice e Baccolo. All I have to base this on is matching the pattern of the marble column to the left, and position of window (just behind the column), the two white dividing pillars in front, and the chandeliers to other images on the net. The altar itself and Madonna above is obscured.

See this one in particular:

by Beausoleil

Wonder if the poster has done a Wikipedia search or a Google image search? It might be the easiest way to identify these churches.

by goodfish

Smart lady, you - that's exactly what I did!

I enjoy these types of lookups so it was fun for me.
Our time in Sorrento was too rushed - thus my hazy memory.

by ValeryCollins

Thank you to everyone who tried to identify the churches for me. They were decorated for Easter which did not help to identify them and although I kept a note of which churches I visited somehow I missed one out and have struggled to identify these last few. Yes, I did use Google and Wikipedia and every other source I could think of.

by goodfish

Well, google up images for the church names I've listed. If the images I found were labeled correctly, then the identifications given for the churches are also correct. You may have to scan through a number of them, and look at the images closely.

Travel Tips for Sorrento

Million Dollar Views

by Krystynn

If you're taking the ferry, you'd be able to marvel at this city from afar (see pic). From SORRENTO itself, you can also catch commanding views of the Bay of Naples. better still if you can afford to stay in a local hotel right along its rugged coastline.

According to Greek mythology, SORRENTO was once the home of wanton women whose mystic song lured enchanted sailors to their early demise. Hm, in reality, I think SORRENTO is best described as the "Gateway to CAPRI" overlooking the beautiful Bay of Naples.

Liqueur Limoncello

by HORSCHECK

The lemon liqueur called Limoncello is a local after dinner drink. It is made out of the rines from lemons mixed with alcohol, sugar and water.

The liqueur has a typical yellowish colour. It has to be kept cool in the freezer and has to be sipped, not drunk.

Panoramique Restaurant

by malkin about Hotel-Restaurant IL NIDO

We ate mainly at our hotel IL NINO because the restaurant is good, the people friendly, the prices right and the panoramic view over the bay of Naples is FANTASTIC. They are open to non-residents and it’s worth going up there for an evening meal. Their menu and prices are on their web site.

Pompeii

by Wowmoment

This is just a must on any list and a major sight that really delivers.

You need at least 4-5 hours to do the site justice so better take a picnic. The refreshments facility in the middle seems small and gets very busy, toilets are also not plentiful.

Easily reached by Circumvesuviana from Sorrento or Naples – station Pompeii Villa dei Misteri.

When you buy an entry ticket, pick up the excellent free map and a booklet (various languages available).The cost is €11 for this site or €20 for a deal to Herculaneum and 3 smaller sites as well, over 65s get in free with ID!

A good plan is to see the Archaeological museum in Naples before visiting Pompeii

Access to the site is fairly good and I saw at least two wheelchair users, plenty of willing hands among other visitors for the tricky bits.

See also my Tourist Trap section but don’t let it spoil your visit.

Marina Grande

by Balam

Beaches are a rarity near Sorrento because of the cliffs But there are a few, the best by far is at Marina Grande, a small fishing village that has now become a part of Sorrento. There are some nice Shops, bars and Restaraunts there and it's a lovely place to take a stroll or relax in a bar and take in the Lovely views or watch the local fishermen.

Comments