La Minervetta Sorrento

Liked La Minervetta

by TripAdvisor Member Irishtouristgal

The following sums up La Minervetta in my opinion
-Amazing views
-Most stylish hotel I have ever been to
-However this has a downside, I felt style is prioritised over comfort - ie not many sun loungers
-Breakfast lovely
-It doesn't have all the facilities of a hotel of the same price
-No beach that you could swim in and no pool only a jacuzzi
-A bit too expensive for what it's worth
-Some of the staff were very nice, some were a bit aloof

Can't recommend this place enough!

by TripAdvisor Member Frequent_travLon

We spent a fantastic five nights at La Minervetta in May. I can honestly say that it's one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in. From the minute you arrive the staff can't do enough to help, and the rooms, terrrace, and of course the views are unbeatable!

I'll definitely be back.

Simply the Best...............

by TripAdvisor Member John1164

I am Italian - American and visit Italy at leat once per year on vacation (and sometimes on business).

La Minervetta is simply the best hotel I have stayed in Italy. The rooms, the warm and friendly service, the decor, the art work, the breakfast, the view, the location, and I can go on and on.

The rooms are incredibly well situated on the cliff over looking the Bay of Naples. the Rooms are spacious and so well deisgned, you end up marvelling as much about the room design as the stunning view.

If you are staying in Sorrento, my very strong advice is to stay here. In fact, pass up on the over tourist hyped amalfi coast and make a trip to Sorrento, if for nothing else than to stay here.

Good...for a B&B!!

by TripAdvisor Member CrazyMind

Just got back from a week stay in Sorrento and went to visit some of the must popular hotels and B&B reviewed an TripAdvisor. First of all
I went to “La Minervetta”. I would have liked to book there, but it was fully booked. Yes, like almost all people have reported, it’s in a fantastic location, with amazing views and finely decorated but very disappointing service for a 300 € rate.

No bar, no room service, a girl from reception serving drink, no pool attendant… I asked to sit on the terrace for a drink, they were extremely friendly, but no cocktails available at that moment. Very courteous but definitely unprofessional for a 4 stars hotel and very expensive for what you are given. Again, the rooms, the view, the decoration are nice, but I don’t understand how it can be included in
the hotel list. A hotel is another story.

A Wonderful Place

by TripAdvisor Member stephen_ITFC

Stayed at La Minervetta for a weekend at the beginning of July and it was absolutely fantastic and I haven't stopped raving about it since (and sending people links to their website!).

Absolutely unique in my experience in terms of design and layout with lovely little touches throughout that surprise and delight (eg. original Audrey Hepburn scrapbook and autographed Lou Reed book in the lounge area, numerous little hideaway terraces to sit in private in the sun, amazing breakfasts on the terrace).

The crowning glory that is inescapable from the picture window that dominates every room, is the breathtaking views across the bay of Naples towards Vesuvius and along the coast - I guarantee that you will not be able to take your eyes off it!!

If you look at their website you will get a great feel for the place - it is very true to the actual real life experience.

One tiny thing to be aware of - a huge number of steps down to the marina/restaurant area below. absolutely fine if you are young/middle aged (and reasonably fit), but not for the elderly or couples with young children/pushchairs.

A little slice of heaven

by TripAdvisor Member karenandterryontour

We've just returned from a week at La Minervetta on our honeymoon. It was everything we had hoped for, and then some. I had been a little bit wary about previous reviews saying that it was like staying in someone's home because, frankly, that is my idea of hell, but I can see what they meant. It is very intimate and consequently the staff, if approached, are incredibly helpful and friendly but not to the extent that they are breathing down your neck. And that's exactly how it should be. Previous reviews have remarked on the lack of sunbeds, the size of the pool (admittedly more accurately, a large jacuzzi), no bar area and the price. With respect, if that's what floats your boat, then head to the Canaries ,and I'm not being a snob about this, having just spent a wonderful sun-worshipping week there in lovely apartments but this is Italy and no better place a stay to explore the wonders of such a historical area. Go to Donna Emilia's in the Marina Grande and have one of the family pull up a chair to your table at the end of the night so you can both agree the bill. Priceless, what lovely people. We will definitely be back.

Sorrento's secret

by TripAdvisor Member sunlovingskier

I thought long and hard about posting a review on this Hotel, because I was tempted to keep it a secret for me and my friends... but hey, life is short...

I reasearched accomodation in Sorrento on Google, and specifically small hotels with a B and B basis. Not for me and mine the big hotel with hundreds of rooms and half board. La Minervetta sounded too good to be true, and he left it to me to do the booking etc etc. We had originally gone for the offer of stay 6 nights, get one free, but Easy Jet let us down on the outgoing flight, and we could only stay 6.

We took the easy (expensive) option of a private taxi from the airport, which was very nice and completely hassle free!
I knew about the roof top car park and the lift down to reception, but my man didn't...and when it opened into the reception area he was almost stunned into silence. We had both read about the unique decoration of the hotel, but just hadn't expected it to be as beautiful as it actually was.

We were in room 1, the white room, from 7th to 13th June. It has the left hand corner view (from hotel photo), and it has a tiny small terrace shaded by plants. (Perfect for the late night ameretto watching the fireworks!) Take the room photos when you arrive because it'll probably never look that good again! Little touches made it extra special, like twice daily towel changes, the toiletries in the bathroom, and the towelling bathrobes, which we didn't find until we were packing to come home!

The views from the windows are amazing, all along the coast of Sorrento, around Naples and beyond. Equally spectacular at night with all the fireworks going off.

Breakfast has to be seen to be believed, the orange juice, the hams, cheeses, fresh fruit salad, yoghurts, tons of cakes and fruit flans etc etc. and something cooked if you want it. Taken on the terrace overloooking Sorrento, you could easily spend the day there.

The walk into town takes about 20 minutes, from Hotel to harbour, at a brisk pace. The local buses charge one euro to bring you back up to the square, great after Capri and when its hot. The other option is to walk down the 304 steps into Marina Grande... yes 304 down and 304 back up. After two or three days you do get used to it, and its nice to eat down there. Passing the swimming pool and little terraces makes it fun!

We did a trip to Pompei ourselves, and would stress how easy it is. E3.70 return from Sorrento to Pompei, (on the train which stops in Pompei ) E10 to get in, and another E10 for a guide. It was completely fascinating.

Back to the hotel, we decided to spend one day just lounging around reading the papers and books, sunning beside the pool, and drinking cocktails on the terrace. It was a real treat! The decor of the hotel really has to be seen to be appreciated, all the little bits and pieces, artifacts, pottery, potts...and the books. When its dark, loads of little tea lights and candles are lit in the lounge and on the terrace, and again you could sit there for ages just listening to Marina Grande noises and watching the fireworks, drinking more cocktails...

The staff are so good at what they do: skillfully being helpful and friendly, and offering advice without being intrusive. Their English is better than our Italian... and their Italian is good especially with an Irish accent! (And they make wicked cocktails!)

This hotel is more expensive than others, but it is worth it.
Quite simply the best hotel we have ever stayed in.

A PERFECT, chic little gem: GO NOW

by TripAdvisor Member endlessummer

My husband and I recently stayed at La Minervetta for 4 nights at the end of a 12 night trip to the Amalfi Coast. Although we liked the other hotels we stayed in (JK Capri & Casa Angelina), they didn't hold a candle to this place for us, for lots of different reasons. We could have easily based ourselves here for our entire stay. The hotel reminded us - not in look, but in feel - of Esperas hotel in Santorini. Just somewhere gorgeous to chill out and relax.

This hotel is obviously a labour of love for the owners - everywhere you look is absolute beauty and you can tell that every doorknob, every bowl, every piece of furnishing has been carefully chosen to reflect the eclectic style of the place. What is a really nice aspect of the building is that the reception area is reached by stairs or lift from the main road, which is busy and noisy. You can't hear a thing once you're down there and you have hardly anyone walking in off the street - it's just so peaceful and private.

In the reception, the sheer amount of books would keep any design/fashion junkie occupied for days. It's amazing how they trust you with all these expensive books - I felt like i was relaxing in someone's living room! In all the other public areas, I loved inspecting all the different pieces of pottery, paintings, bric-a-brac. You could say the hotel has a nautical theme but it's more than that - you have to see it for yourself, so colourful and original! My favourite thing most of all was the plastic raised topography map of Campania - I haven't seen one of those since I was a kid!!

We opted to stay in the Junior Suite because I thought we would need the balcony (the only room with one) but we discovered that there were so many nooks and crannies around the hotel to relax in that we hardly ever used it! The room itself was quite large, with the most gorgeous lemon yellow ceramic floor tiles, lots of storage space, 2 huge windows with sliding doors leading to 2 balconies, a large sofa and a bed facing the window. The bathroom was also large - no bathtub but a shower big enough for 2 and the all-important floor to ceiling mirror. Lots and lots Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries.

The hotel does not have a restaurant and this suited us completely. What happens instead is that you wake up to the most delicious, elaborate breakfast: various hams, meats, cheeses, buns, cakes, slices, cookies, breads, etc. all laid out in the most artful, photogenic way that it has to be seen to be believed. You can order a cooked breakfast and they make the most divine coffee. Later, you can go out for the day or dinner and then come back to have a late night drink anywhere in the candlelit hotel. We really enjoyed a limoncello nightcap while soaking up the atmosphere. The hotel has its own private stairwell down to the port - can definitely recommend Delfinos - yum!

There is a jacuzzi pool which is small but refreshing - the area around the pool is also small but there are only 12 rooms so I didn't perceive it to be an issue. Compared with Casa Angelina, which has a similar sized pool serving over 40 rooms, we felt this was more than adequate. A really nice touch is the outdoor shower with HOT water - I did a few cycles of the pool/shower and was SO relaxed by the end of it.

The staff at the hotel are so wonderful and relaxed. No standing to attention - just one on one conversation with intelligent, knowledgeable people. They leave you alone but are always on hand if you need any advice. Floriana was particularly helpful indeed and so funny and honest with her advice.

How to sum up this place? Well, if you are someone who likes to be waited on hand, foot and finger by men in bow ties, this is not the place for you. However, if you like not to have your intelligence insulted and be treated like the adult that you are, give this place a try. It's more like the chicest B&B you could ever hope to stay in. I can't honestly find any fault here and for us, it's not a question of if we come back but a question of when.

Lovely Hotel ...... No reservation though!

by TripAdvisor Member hospidium

We recently spent our honeymoon in Italy and was looking forward to staying at this hotel. When we arrived our first impressions were WOW! The hotel looks nice, brilliant decor and superb views.

Unfortunately due to the hotel booking system and some staff confusion our booking had been cancelled and we no longer had a reservation!!

So can't really say too much about the hotel apart from the outside looked lovely, but I wish they would allow you to modify bookings on their website, not have to cancel and then rebook!!!

2003 Trip: Belgium/Switzerland/Italy

by travelfrosch

"Begin in Belgium"

It was a bit of an odd situation: Sara and I were married, but we were still living on opposite coasts. I arrived in Brussels a day earlier than Sara, so I got up the next morning to meet her at the airport. Thinking we could have late breakfast together at the hotel, I went directly to the airport. Had I known her flight would be delayed by 4 hours, I would have had the breakfast!

Sara had finally arrived. After she cleaned up and relaxed at Hotel La Madeleine, we went out to enjoy the Grand Place. We met up with Axel, an old friend of mine, and headed for an early dinner at Restaurant Leon, then an early jet-lag bed time for Sara and me.

The next day, we got up at an almost reasonable hour and took a day trip to Bruges. We had an enjoyable stroll and a nice lunch before we headed back. In the evening, Axel joined us again for mussels and beer at t'Kelderke on the Grand Place.

The next morning, our brief stay in Belgium over, we headed to the airport to catch our budget flight to Geneva. Our bags were first off the carousel, and we got our Swisspasses validated by the surly agent at the ticket window. Then, it was off to Kandersteg!

"Switzerland 1: To the Jungfraujoch!"

After settling in at the Hotel Bernerhof in Kandersteg, we took a stroll around town and settled in for dinner. Frau Lehmann knows us all too well: "Would you like the trout? And some Fendant? ... A sweet after dinner? Chocoloate Mousse, perhaps?" What can I say? We're predictable! :)

The next day, it was lovely, so we hiked to the Gemmipass. The views were magnificent! Then back to the Bernerhof for relaxation and dinner.

We love Kandersteg, but we had a Swisspass burning a hole in our pockets! The next day, we took the train to Grindelwald via Spiez and Interlaken Ost. (Note, the train from Interlaken to Grindelwald is covered by Swisspass and offers a 25% discount to Eurail/Select pass holders) From Grindelwald, we took the long, scenic, and strenuous hike to Kleine Scheidegg, the base station from which the Jungfraubahn departs. After a picnic lunch, we bought tickets to the Jungfraujoch and took in the magnificent view. As expensive as it was (CHF 200 even with Swisspass!), it was truly a "once in a lifetime" experience!

"Switzerland 2: Happy Birthday, Sara!"

The next day was Sara's birthday. As such, she got to choose to go wherever she wanted. Now we had taken two quite strenuous hikes back-to-back, so she decided a relaxing day by the lake would be fun. So, we took the train from Kandersteg to Thun and strolled around the lake. We toured Schloss Thun and continued around the lake to Oberhofen, where we had lunch and sat lazily by the lake as we awaited the lake steamer. We boarded the boat (free with our Swisspass) and sailed all the way to Interlaken. From Interlaken West, we took a local train to Spiez, then a main-line train back to Kandersteg.

Our final day in Kandersteg, we took a day-trip to Saas-Fee, details of which are on my Saas-Fee webpage. After one last breakfast at the Bernerhof, we reluctantly checked out and boarded a train to Brig and then Zermatt.

"Switzerland 3: The Glacier Express"

Upon arrival in Zermatt, we checked into the Hotel Weisshorn, had lunch, and took a short hike to Z'mutt. After dinner at the hotel, we watched the sun set on the Matterhorn and went to bed.

The next morning, after a nice breakfast, we took our favorite hike to the Unterer Rothorn via the Stellisee. We were rewarded with one of our favorite views in the Alps. After a nice summit lunch at Restaurant Rothorn, we returned to Zermatt. We then went to the Zermatt train station and got reservations for the next day's Glacier Express trip to St Moritz.

We'd had perfect weather up til now, but the weather deteriorated as the trip to St. Moritz continued. It was pouring rain for our one overnight.

"Lake Como"

From St. Moritz, we took the "scenic" Bernina Express to Tirano. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's scenic. However, our weather luck ran out with a vengeance, and we saw nothing but rain, snow, and fog in the Bernina Pass.

From Tirano, we purchased a point-to-point ticket to Varenna-Esino, on Lake Como. We spent 3 nights at Albergo Olivedo, right on the ferry dock. We toured Belaggio and Menaggio, ate gelato, enjoyed great dinners, and basically relaxed. Oh, and we went to the local travel agency and purchased more tickets -- one to Riomaggiore, and one from Riomaggiore to Naples. The fourth morning, it was off to Riomaggiore in the Cinque Terre via Milan and Genoa.

"The Cinque Terre"

To be honest, this was our least favorite part of the trip. We stayed at decent hotel (I forget the name!:) in Riomaggiore. The views were great, and the hiking was beautiful, but the whole area was incredibly crowded. Also, two-star meals were served to us with five-star attitude and prices. (I should note that the hotel we stayed at showed no such attitude, with the owner personally helping out the guests during the blackout (see below)) I remarked to Sara that we should've gone to Portofino because it was likely less touristy and expensive.

We also had the "fortune" of being in Riomaggiore during the "Great Italian Blackout." Power went out throughout Italy and the entire country was thrown into chaos, much as the U.S. East Coast had been only a few weeks before. As a result, our planned day-trip to Pisa did not materialize. Instead, we took a boat to Portovenere, where we probably had the most enjoyable time in the area.

The next morning, trains restored, we took our trip to Naples and on to Sorrento

"The Amalfi Coast"

We stayed at the Hotel Mignon Meuble in Sorrento. We stayed for 3 nights, enjoying Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast. We took the bus to Amalfi and the boat back. We especially enjoyed our meals at the Ristorante La Minervetta, with magnificent views of Sorrento Harbor.

"Sorrento to Rome"

The final day in Sorrento, we went to the travel agency and purchased Eurostar Italia tickets from Naples to Rome. (a few Euros more. It's not much faster than the regular trains, but it's air conditioned!). Then we took our leave of Sorrento and continued to the Eternal City. After 2 nights at Hotel Adler, we took the train to the airport and flew home. What a trip!

Yup, that's Vesuvius skulking back thereYup, that's Vesuvius skulking back there

View from the train stationView from the train station

View from Marina GrandeView from Marina Grande

Seafood spaghettiSeafood spaghetti

Boutique hotel/venue

by gtmj

I have been searching for a very unique venue in Sorrento for a wedding reception. I have found some wonderful places that fit the criteria of boutique, unique and that have the wow factor but I was hoping that there is perhaps a hidden, magical jewel that is not too large (able to accommodate 50 guests)or too sophisticated but has the views and great service, food etc. I am ideally looking along the Marina Grande and access is fairly easy as there is an elderly guest. However if someone knows of something that isn't within this area please still let me know. Those that I have so far found are Relais Blu, Bellvue Syrene, La Minervetta. Hope to hear for you.

Re: Boutique hotel/venue

by Jetgirly

Saying that La Minervetta is "along" the Marina Grande is a bit of an overstatement. While it does OVERLOOK the Marina, it would not be a pleasant walk at all for elderly guests. The Marina Grande is located at the bottom of a huge, sheer cliff. Shuttle busses will take you from the bottom (marina) to the top (Piazza Tasso) for EUR 1. They leave every fifteen minutes or so and the trip takes about thirty seconds. From Piazza Tasso, you would then need to connect to the hotel, which I would say is fifteen minutes away by foot for someone walking at a normal pace, and longer for someone elderly. It's also uphill from Piazza Tasso to La Minervetta.

Comments