Michelangelo Hotel Sorrento

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Michelangelo Hotel Sorrento

Town Centre location

by TripAdvisor Member Hobina

We recently returned from a week staying at the Michelangelo Hotel in the centre of Sorrento. A 5min walk to the first square with shops and Bars etc. and 10 mins to the next main square where the local Bus takes you down to the Port a short ride away for 1 euro. The hotel was clean and all the Staff very friendly. I liked the waiter service and the food was good with something on the menu to suit all.
The swimming pool located on the 1st floor was small but adequate the only complaint was that the freshwater made it very cold even on a hot day but still ideal to cool off in or enjoy the terraced area.
The only drawback to our room was that the balcony was directly behind the railway line. The electric train line ended a few hundred yards away but did not bother us after the first realisation of its proximity.
I would certainly recommend this hotel.

Fantastic!

We spent 7 days here in August and had a really enjoyable time. The rooms were all newly decorated and luckily we requested a pool view, which was very pleasent. The pool and sunbathing areas are small but we spent little time at the hotel as there is so much to do in the area.

The waiters were excellent - we bought my 3 year old son, who can be a handful, but they were great with him (Full marks to Ciro and Salvatore). Nothing was too much for the reception staff and cleaners too.

Like other reviews I would also advise catching the local bus (just around the corner from the hotel) to Positano and Amalfi. So cheap! We also caught a local boat from the port to Capri.

I only wish that I had booked a 14 night stay to the Michelangelo - as that would have left some time for relaxing too!

Great hotel, fantastic location

by TripAdvisor Member JAG72

There is very little I can fault about this hotel. We went in September and booked directly over the internet and paid £348 for 7 nights half board.

I had read all of the glowing reviews of this hotel before booking but was still surprised when we arrived. The hotel was absolutely lovely, and on walking in it definitely had the feel of a 4 star hotel.

The room was big and spacious, unfortunately no double beds, but ours had 3 singles (the 3rd acting as a sofa during our stay) and the bathroom was huge and all of it was well decorated. Yes it overlooked the railway line and we did hear the trains, but they didn't run that frequently and stopped at about midnight so they didn't affect us at all.

Having paid only an extra £30 for going half board I thought we may eat in once or twice and sample the local restaurants on the other nights, but the food was so good this was not necessary. 3 courses every night of fantastic local dishes. I tried numerous pasta dishes, risottos, meat, fish and soups, and if you are a vegetarian you would still have plenty of choice.

All the staff in the hotel were very friendly and very helpful. The hotel turned out to be the cheapest place to drink, with cocktails served in very large measures for only 4 euros.

One small point to note is the fact you had to pay for the safe in your room - but this was only 1.50 euros a day.

The room terrace was a good suntrap, and during our stay there were only a few people up there. Similarly in the pool area we didn't really come across many people (and yet the dining room at night was busy). The pool was small, but with noone around, adequate, but it was freezing and didn't get much sun.

Location wise this hotel is superb - far enough away from the main town to avoid the noise, but within a short walking distance of the main Tasso Square (about 5 mins) and 2 mins from the railway station. Whilst there may be hotels muted as being better in your holiday brochure, many of these hotels are high up in the Sorrento and it is a bus or steep walk up and down to get into the main town.

From the station you can catch a train to Pompeii for about 3 euros (its then about 50m walk to the entrance to Pompeii and 10 euros to get in). It was my second visit to Pompeii, the first time I had a guide and saw very little, this time I took the free map and book (which gave some basic details) and just wandered round - this was far more enjoyable.

Opposite the train station you can get a bus to Postiano and Amalfi but be warned the queues are long and we had to wait for about an hour to get on (and then they just piled on as many people as possible regardless of whether or not you had a seat!). We went to Amalfi (for about 3 euros) and then caught the ferry back (I think this was between 7 and 10 euros).

If you are making your own way back to Naples airport you can catch a bus from Tasso square (about 9 euros), but again be prepared to get there early and fight for your place on the bus.

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member daddymac1

Michelangelo is a terrific place to stay. The location is very good, right off the main square. Rooms are very nicley furnished. We loved it. The breakfast was vaery good as well as the service. Do yourself a favor if you stay here and eat at the Red Lion a couple of blocks away. We are picky and they had some of the best pizza that we have ever tasted. The train is very close but you really do not notice it. Guisseppe at the bar is the best bartender that I have ever been aquainted with, he is absolutely amazing. He will make you feel right at home in 5 minutes. He speaks 5 languages and is very funny. If you get a chance go to Trattoria Emilia for some of the best food ever at Marina Grande.

Great Location, Lovely Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member BikerBird

We spent a weekend in Sorrento as we're getting married there later in the year and wanted to check out the area. The Michelangelo is in a great location for exploring as bars, restaurants, shops, bus stops and the marina for boats are just a few minutes walk away. The hotel and rooms are very clean and tastefully decorated, staff are friendly and helpful and a fairly comprehensive buffet breakfast is served.

There is a railway line at the back of the hotel however, that said, we didn't really notice it and weren't woken up by trains (the station is close by so trains are going very slowly past the hotel!).

Highly recommended.

Fantastic location.

by TripAdvisor Member LEURLI

My husband and I stayed here for two weeks in August and enjoyed our stay. The location of the hotel is good and it only took us about 5 mins to walk into the main square. The service at the hotel was excellent with all the members of staff being friendly and helpful. The only complaint I have is about the food. The breakfast was fine but the evening meal got a bit samey. They also put peanut oil on all the vegetables! We ate there the first week and then ventured out in the second week. Turn right as you go out of the hotel and just along the road you'll come across a small eatery. It looks basic but believe me it was the best pizza I've ever had. Lots of locals use this place so you know it's good and cheap. If you enjoy walking I sugggest you get the Sunflower book on Sorrento, Amalfi and Capri. It has a good selection of walks around the Amalfi coast. We walked across the peninsula and ended up on the cliffs that you see when you're on the boat trips (take plenty of water). It was beautiful. We also did a walk on capri and saw views that the everyday tourist would miss. I wouldn't recommend the organised trip to Capri by night. It was over priced and I noticed that most of the people on the trip were, like us, just hanging around until it was time to eat.

Magnificent Michelangelo

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for one magnificent week. It was marvellous. The facilities were good, the room was good, well-equipped and very clean. The only thing is that we would have preferred a bath, but the shower was fine.

The service exceeded all expectations. Everyone was friendly, helpful, cheerful, respectful, happy and did their absolute utmost to make our stay wonderful.

The food was incredible too. Exceedingly good, well-cooked, plenty of it, served quickly and efficiently. In fact when my partner complimented the Head Chef on the food, he immediately was given another main course, complimentary!

The position of the hotel is good for the centre of Sorrento, short walk to the main square. It may not have the spectacular views that some of the hotels have that are built right on the cliff edge but it was near to all the attractions.

I could not fault the Michelangelo and when we go back to Sorrento there will be no other hotel for us to stay at. We would definitely return there again and again. Superb!

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member maxford

We stayed as a group March 6, 2006.
Hotel: Very nice, large rooms, nice bathroom
Good Breakfast, Front Desk staff-ok, spoke English
Location: Can't beat it - just down the street from the center of Sorrento.

Ginormous Room!!

My husband and I stayed at the Michelangelo for a week in early May. The location: perfect, right down the hill from the train station. Sorrento is a terrific base of operations for exploring the Amalfi Coast.

Our room: unbelievably huge. We didn't reserve a special room of any sort -- this is just where they put us. We had our own sun deck (which you accessed by a little set of stairs) that was bigger then my living room at home. Seriously, if you go, try to reserve room 404. And clean! Housekeeping was wonderful. Oh, and the bathroom was huge too - and very nice!

Food: breakfast was good, with lots to choose from. The coffee was the best - they brought us little carafes plus carafes of hot water and milk so we could "Americanize" to our hearts' desire. We tried dinner at the restaurant once... and felt very out of place. It felt like we were on a cruise ship. OK, so we're both in our early 30's and consider ourselves pretty urban - if you're similar then please skip the restaurant for dinner or lunch. Take my word. However, if you're quite a bit older and with a large tour group, go for it.

We ended up going to the Sant'Antonio restaurant for two nights during our stay - it was marvelous, and a BIG value. Ask the desk staff at the Michelangelo for directions, and talk to the owner once you get there if you can. I can't remember his name unfortunately, but he's wonderful - like the food he serves!

Lovely Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member csthacker

Lovely hotel with modern rooms, spacious baths, polite English speaking staff in a great location. Just minutes from the city center and the train station. A short hike down to the marina. Our room had a balcony looking out on the street below. People watching at its best.

Comments