Sorrento City

Costs 38% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Ernie44's Profile Photo

Treated Like Royalty

Sorrento City Hotel

My family and I returned from spending 2 days in Rome and 4 days in Sorrento. I have read in all the travel books to beware of the pickpockets at the Naples train station, well sad to say I was careless and someone stole my wallet as we were boarding the train to Sorrento, as I went to sit down for the hour long trip I realized my wallet was gone. There was nothing I could do until I go to my hotel in Sorrento. When we arrived at the Sorrento City Hotel we were greeted by one of he hotel staff, I mentioned to her what had happened to me on the train, she contacted the owner of the hotel Roberta who told her staff to help me make the necessary phone calls to my banks in the states and what ever else was needed to get this situation corrected. I had to contact my banks in the states to freeze my credit cards, which they very helpful in helping me to make the phone calls that I needed to do. That afternoon the owner offered to accompany me to the police station to make a report, she offered not only to take me but to interpret for me. That night after dinner we were surprised to find a basket of fruit and a bottle of wine with a note attached saying, we are glad you came and we are thankful we were able to help; here is a little gift from the hotel to say you’re here now “relax”. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is planning a trip to Sorrento and looking for a place to stay where you are treated like royalty.

Unique Quality: The Hotel staff was very helpful and considerate almost going out of their way to make us comfortable.

Directions: On the main street in the city, easy walking distance to the train or bus station or any of the shops, also included was a continental breakfast.

More about Sorrento City

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JosieLondon

Just returned from 4 nights at the Hotel Sorrento City. We had booked this hotel based on reviews on this website and we were not let down. Its a great small hotel, in a great location and fantastic value.
Its about 5 mins from the rail station, and 2 mins into the central square, and the side streets where there is an abundance of good places to get a good meal (and ice cream!)
Room was spacious, and bathroom was fine, with a brilliant powerful shower. We had a room on the 2nd floor, overlooking the road... it did get a bit noisy, but it didn't cause us any problems. Rooms are air conditioned which is an added bonus.

Only downside was that there is no fridge in the room. Not a major problem, just would've been nice to have one.

Would recommend a restaurant called Auora (on the main square), in the top left hand corner if you've got your back to the sea. Brilliant pizzas - 50 to choose from! and loads of choice of yummy deserts!

Breakfast was included, and was the usual afair of cereals, breads, yoghurts etc and the nicest rolls ever!

Most of the staff were friendly, and happy to help where they could.

Would definitly recommend this hotel, and would stay here again.

Good for a short stay

by TripAdvisor Member suzt

We stayed at this hotel for one night on our way from Capri to Rome. The room was small, but clean, and the breakfast was okay (milk was bad, but they had some pastries, etc.) Don't expect a hot shower, but do expect to hear your neighbors! The best part was the location - between the train station and main piazza. So, if you're looking for a place where you won't spend much time, and want to duck in and out, this is a good find.

Quaint Quality, Perfect Location

by TripAdvisor Member SNSTerp79

We knew not to expect high maintenance with a 1.5 star hotel, but Sorrento City was above & beyond what we expected. Yes, the rooms were small for American standards, but it had everything you needed and extremely clean to boot. The location was amazing for the town itself & for traveling the Amalfi coast. The only thing we would've liked was a refrigerator, but they had a vending machine downstairs and a grocery store next door.

Great Value, Helpful Staff

by TripAdvisor Member PaulD08

Hotel Sorrento is a great value. The rooms are as depicted on the websites pictures, small but clean and quiet. The location is great, right in downtown Sorrento. It is also a short walk to the train station (Circumvesuviana which is a local train which will take you to Naples for around 6 euros) This is the same location you catch buses to Amalfi, Positano, Rovello, etc, Sorrento is a good base location if you want to visit the Amalfi coast and Capri.

Wonderful staff

by TripAdvisor Member timetravler

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights in May, 2008. We found the hotel to be comfortable, clean and a convenient location. The rooms are on the small side but comfortable. Our room was on the street side, street noise was not a problem with the windows closed. If you like to sleep with the windows open, then street noise could be a problem. The hotel is conveniently located near the center of town and the train station is only a couple of blocks away. There is a bakery and grocery story located nearby. The staff was friendly and spoke english. A short story about the staff. The day that we check out, I unknownly lost a wallet under the bed. The maid found the wallet, turned it into the desk clerk who then tracked us down at the train station to return the wallet. What more can I say about staff like that!

Lovely Hotel, Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member LGS26

This is a small, recently renovated hotel. The rooms and the hotel look like new. The rooms are not very big, but are pretty comfortable and the bathrooms are great. Very Clean and with security box.The staff at the front desk is great. Very helpfull. They gave us great restaurants and locations recomendations. Dorota at the front desk even walked with us to show us a restaurante we were interested in.

Location is AMAZING! It is just 5 minutes (at the most) walk to the train station that conect you to Naples, Pompei and the Amalfi Coast. and a 2 minute walk to Piazza Tasso (the center). It is a great place to stay specially if Sorrento is your base to explore the rest of the area that by the way is just BEAUTIFUL!!!

Sorrento is magic and this hotel made our stay even more amazing.

The only thing we didn't enjoy much: Breakfast. Very basic, but that is the standard in Italy. The rest: Perfect!

The Staff at this Hotel are well above average

by TripAdvisor Member Aroney

There were 7 of us ,all Australians who stayed for 4 days at this hotel,we extended our stay from 3 to 4 days because the staff and the environs of this hotel were superior to anywhere where we had stayed in our 10 week tour of Europe. The staff go out of their way to make sure you are welcome and comfortable. The Hotel is situated in the best possible position in Sorrento and the rates are quite modest. The Hotel is spotless and I would recommend this Hotel to everyone, the staff presented us with a little memento of Sorrento when we left--A nice Touch!!!

Great Location, Good Value

by TripAdvisor Member jandtpeters

Located on the main street, just a short walk from the train station, we found this to be a great location for exploring charming Sorrento and surrounding areas. Easy access to buses, trains, ferries to Pompeii or the Amalfi coast. Countless shops restaurants (and gelaterias!) are just steps away. There is a huge supermarket next door selling everything from produce to swimsuits. The piazza is only about a 2 minute walk, and nothing you'll want to do in town is more than 20 minutes (though it is quite steep getting down to the beach).

The lobby of the hotel is nice-- modern and comfortable, with an elevator. There is reasonably priced internet access available, and there are even some paperbacks (in assorted languages) for sharing/trading .
Staff was very friendly and helpful. The night host even helped the runner in our group figure out if it was possible to run to the top of Mt. Vesuvius.

The rooms were very comfortable. We had a party of 5, so we booked a double and a triple. The double was very nice, with a balcony out over the main street. Very romantic in the evenings. Street noise was bad with the doors open, but with the doors closed, it was fine. Bathroom was clean, and good-sized for Europe. The triple was ok-- basically there was a double bed and two twin beds that fold out of the wall, one low to the ground and one at about shoulder level. It was fairly cramped with the lower bed folded out, but serviceable. This room was at the back of the hotel with a balcony on the alley. Not a very attractive view, but ok.

Breakfast was quite good. Buffet with fresh baked croissants, breads, ham, cheeses, fruit (canned peaches, usually) yogurt and cereal. Coffee and juice dispensed by machine. Smallish but nice breakfast room.

In all, a very nice stay, especially for the price.

Sorrento

by Ernie44

"Treated Like Royality"

Accommodation for a wedding

by Carragher

Hi there,
I am heading to Sorrento in September for the wedding of an Irish couple. I am looking to stay in as central a location as possible as I will not be hiring a car.

The wedding is on the 6th September, anyone recommend some accommodation. There are four Irish lads heading over from Dublin, dont want to stay in a palace but it must be clean and confortable, all require a seperate bed.

Either apartment or B&B accommodation would be preferable. Exact arrival dates have yet to be finalised but more than likely it will be the week commencing 2nd September.

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
John.

RE: Accommodation for a wedding

by Ernie44

We have stayed at the Hotel Sorrento City which is within walking distance of the local train from Naples. If you want moe info go to the Venere web site and look for hotels and B&B in Sorrento, they will give you a choice of places to stay and the locations with maps and directions.

Enjoy