1 out of 5 stars1 Star

Via Santa Maria della Pieta 30, Sorrento, Campania, 80067, Italy
Venere.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

More about Sorrento

Sorrento from the quaysideSorrento from the quayside

Cliffs GaloreCliffs Galore

View from the Piazza della VittoriaView from the Piazza della Vittoria

Ferry to Capri at Marina PiccoloFerry to Capri at Marina Piccolo

culinary / wine excursions

by mcferreri

My wife and I are going to Italy in Mid-October. Using Sorrento as our base, we are looking to see Pompeii / Herculaneum one day of course, and the Amalfi Coast for a few more days. We will finish up in Capri for two days. Can anyone recommend some options for some culinary trips in the area (local farms for mozzarella, fruits, olives, vineyards, etc.)? Any tips or resources for such excursions would be greatly appreciated.

by hawkhead

I have just said in another posting that I amnot at all sure when the season winds down in Sorrento. We were there at the end of February and the week after we left was when all the restaurants opened for the season. It may be that come the beginning of october is when they shut. That being said, there will be enough places to choose from in which to eat - and they will be much less crowded. So, any places that offer culinary trips may well not be still operating. On our way out of Sorrento in the bus towards Amalfi (this is a trip you must take - look at the comments in the Sorrento Forum over the last few days), I noticed an Agrotourismo place. No idea of the name but it was just outside of Sorrento and it will probably surface through Google.
I would take one day for Pompeii, and then another day for Herculaneum and Villa Opltontis, and cut one day from the Amalfi Coast.

by Maestro232

Turns out we'll be down there around the same time. I'm planning on the Amalfi Coast, but I'm not feeling sure about what to do with our other day. Now that you mention it, a culinary or farm tour would be neat. I'm going to keep my eye on this thread. We will be coming from Tuscany and seen a few vinyards already in Chianti and Montalcino, so I'm not sure I want to see more vinyards.

by johnbyjohn

I was last year in a place B&B Casa Mazzola and near by there was a local restaurant ( was just for the local people) the food and the price was excellent and they were organizing a cooking shool.... was the best food I ever tried... plus they were serving to us a local vine from Sorrento... unbelivable how good was it..

by Maestro232

thanks for the tip :)

by mcferreri

Thanks for the tips. In my research, I have found another place that I will eventually book called Mami Camilla. It's a B&B that offers a cooking school, Italian lessons, and some other culinary activities (which I am most interested in booking) such as a cheese demonstration and Olive oil tasting and tour. The link to the activities is http://www.mamicamilla.com/activities.php?hl=en

Travel Tips for Sorrento

Oratory

by GUYON

Everywhere in Sorrento (and in the whole area of Naples), there are street oratories devoted to the Madonna.
They are decorated with flowers by the neighbors (I guess).
This one is in a corner of the Via Fuoro.

Pompeii and Herculaneum ruins

by malkin

For Pompeii take the train and get out at Pompei Scavi. Turn right out of the station and the first entrance is 50 or so metres on the left. There's another entrance further down the road on the big square for people who have mobility or heart problems ( it avoids a climb up some steps)

For Herculaneum take the train to Ercolano, leave the station behind you and head downhill. The scavi are well signposted.

Going bathing in Sorrento

by GUYON

The peninsula Torrentina has no large beaches. So, the cuning Italians have created some artificial beaches, partly on piers, partly on the local black sand.
You can rent your sun umbrella and two deck chairs (un'ombrellone e due lettini).
Don't speak at a too loud voice if you do not wish to be listen by your neighbor.

Amalfi

by tripc

Amalfi is the last stop on the Amalfi Coast bus trip. At first, Amalfi seems to be identical to Sorrento...very touristy with shopping and that's about it...but the Cathedral is beautiful and if you walk back away from the main streets, you can get a feel for the "real" town and get a lovely view of the hills above Amalfi.

SORRENTO

by longsanborn

"Sweet Sorrento"

I have been to Sorrento twice now. Once, in June 2004 and the second time, from 30th Dec. 2006 until 2nd Jan. 2007. As always, I thoroughly enjoyed my trips to this part of Italy.

Sorrento Peninsula is the starting point for many excursions: Pompei, Paestum, Naples and Vesuvius, Capri and Ischia, Positano, Amalfi and Ravello, and for any other destination, thanks to a network of aerial, road, railway and maritime links.

Sorrento has charming, cobblestones streets in its historical centre, colorful and fragrant flowers everywhere, a superb panorama from its seafront and lively nightlife.

"Sorrento, Popular Tourist Destination"

Sorrento is a popular tourist destination. The town can be reached easily from Naples and Pompeii, as it lies at the south-eastern end of the Circumvesuviana rail line. The town overlooks the bay of Naples, as the key place of the Sorrentine Peninsula, and many viewpoints in the city allow sight of Naples itself (visible across the bay) and Vesuvius (volcano).

The "Amalfi drive" (connecting Sorrento and Amalfi) is the narrow road that threads around the high rugged and plunging cliffs above the Mediterranean sea.

Ferry boats and hydrofoils also provide services to Naples, Amalfi, Positano, Capri and Ischia.

"My First Trip to Sorrento"

My first trip to Sorrento was in June 2004. I was only transitting in Sorrento on my way to Capri island. I was so impressed with Sorrento then that I wanted to return to explore further this charming little town.

Hence, end of Dec 2006, I returned to Sorrento with my sister and we had a blast enjoying the New Year Eve with the Sorrentines.

Comments