Villa De Angelis

Booking.com Venere.com Travelocity

More about Sorrento

Camellia.Camellia.

Typical StreetTypical Street

Chris poses patiently but he'd rather be eating ;)Chris poses patiently but he'd rather be eating ;)

The restaurant nameThe restaurant name

Getting to Sorrento

by annepeter

Hi everyone, we have a few questions and any help/advice would be appreciated.
We are wanting to travel to Sorrento from Athens - can we fly direct to Naples or do you have to go via Rome? Also, what would be the best way of then getting to Sorrento using public transport (we don't want to hire a car)? How easy is it to get to Pompei - Positano - Capri and other nice places in the area? Last but not least, if we then wanted to get to Venice is it feasible to fly there from Naples or would trains be the answer? As we have been to Rome twice already would prefer not to have to go via there.
Many thanks.

by hawkhead

Have a look at my Sorrento and Pompeii pages. Also, have a look at VTer Leics' papges. If you are travelling from Naples to Sorrento then the best way to go is by the Circumvesuviana train - this leaves from Centrale Station. It is a commuter train and is cheap, reliable and very frequent. Takes just over an hour to reach Sorrento. From Sorrento to Pompeii, again use the Circumvesuviana - the Pompeii Scavi station is right at the entrance to the site (well, a five minute walk). If you want to go to Herculaneum (and I strongly suggest that you go), take the train to Ercolano, and for Villa Oplontis take the train to Torre Annuciata. To go to Positano, from just outside the Sorrento train station there is a bus that goes all the way to Amalfi. This has to be one of the great bargain journeys - the scenery is wonderful (sit on the right of the bus going, on the left returning) and very inexpensive. It takes about 1 hour 40 minutes to reach Amalfi, about half an hour to Positano. The trip is the day out - we caught a morning bus to Amalfi, had time for a good wander round, and then lunch, and then relaxed on the "sea front" for an hour and caught an afternoon bus back.

by geoveo

Having just returned from Sorrento I'd agree with the above; take the train from Naples right into Sorrento and the bus from Sorrento to Positano/Amalfi. We hired a car but the drive from Naples is unpleasant, through almost continuous urban sprawl and the same back to Pompei. A car becomes a liability as parking is both difficult and costly whereas public transport is cheap and regular.
The drive from Sorrento over the mountains to Positano and along the Amalfitana to Amalfi is one of the world’s great drives, but unless you want the freedom to stop where you want to (or more realistically where you are able to) I would suggest that the bus is a more enjoyable way to travel, and yes sit on the right from Sorrento to Amalfi and left on return. When driving, the constant concentration on the road as it continually twists and turns with drivers overtaking (often on bends) or racing towards you and the difficulty of finding somewhere to park makes it less pleasurable. I’d suggest that the best way to travel the Amalfi Coast would be by Vespa which you can hire by the day in Sorrento, if you would be happy with such a means of transport; you can go and stop just where you like and you’d feel as if you were in a Fellini film.

by nicolaitan

for direct Naples - Athens flights, go to AegeanAir.com. for several flight options a day. Alitalia of course requires a change in Rome.

Travel Tips for Sorrento

Punta del Capo

by HORSCHECK

Most of Sorrentos city beaches are small and just piers extending into the water. West of the city is one of the best beaches of Sorrento: Punta del Capo. It can be reached from Sorrento by following the main street Corso Italia and then up the hill along Via del Capo.

Best in Sorrento

by edsidi about Trattoria Antica

Without a doubt the best in Sorrento. A bit pricey, but then you get what you pay for. It is nouvelle cuisine at its best. We had the 58Eu menu and along the way they give you extras to sample. The staff is very friendly and we all enjoyed our visit.

Sunbathing on Wooden Planks

by Pink_Pash

I was set on seeing beautiful wave lapped beaches that ran for kilometers unend. What I saw when I finally got to an area where I could glimpse at the beach was deep plunging cliffs with extraordinary views toward what most definitely was the Costiera Amalfitana. Take your time viewing the ocean and then take a hike down to the "beach".
I place the word "beach" in quotations because its actually a pier type construction with many a lounging chaise for you to sunbathe. There are rooms where you may change clothes and there are showers, but be forewarned, there is a charge to take the elevator that will eliminate the climb or descent and then there is a charge to get into the "beach". I was not prepared for this so I had to rummage through my pockets for the appropriate amount (it's not much so do not be alarmed).
Another thing you must do in Sorrento is visit the many shops that sell bottles of Limoncello; a popular "digestivo" (after dinner drink for digestive help). Many shoppe owners claim their Limoncello to be the best, so what I decided to do was, to be the judge of that. So I tasted, and tasted, and tasted. I also went into the "creme" territory of this delicious lemon liqueur. I sampled creme di limoni, meloni, fragola, etc... they were all divine; so I purchased a bottle of each of the cremes and two of the limoncello (one for the good folks at the Hostel of the Sun and another for the good folks at home awaiting my return). Visit the shoppes, visit the beach, visit everything you can visit. But don't ride the horse drawn carriege (waste of money) unless you are a terribly romantic person or you are on your honeymoon (I was neither of the previously mentioned, so my judgement my be biased if not a little "bitter" shall I say).
Enjoy Sorrento to the maximum, it's a small town with great many treasures to discover.

Streets

by Beograd

Streets in Sorrento are narrow and cute. And, of course, filled with shopps. It's a real pleasure to walk down them, listen to unusuall sounds... This perticular street as decorated with Italian flags.

Sorrento

by tc0604

"Monterrey should be so nice!"

Sorrento is a small city perched on a cliff high above the Bay of Naples. What a mundane description of a gay and friendly resort town! Sorrento is what Palm Beach and Monterrey would like to be. The atmosphere is so casual and laid back we kept looking over our shoulder for the Beach Boys. Definitely take the trip to Capri, you need to get down on the sea to appreciate the unique and beautiful setting of this place. Wherever you go in Italy, your memories will always come back to Sorrento. (Gosh, could there be a song title?)

Comments