Via Ferrarese 161, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, 40128, Italy
Expedia.com Venere.com Orbitz.com

More about Bologna

Bologna, La Rossa, from Torre degli Asinelli, 2010Bologna, La Rossa, from Torre degli Asinelli, 2010

The View from Church of St. Luke, Bologna, 05/2010The View from Church of St. Luke, Bologna, 05/2010

Basilica di Santo Stefano, Bologna, May 2010Basilica di Santo Stefano, Bologna, May 2010

Lectern, Municipal Art Collection, Bologna, 5/2010Lectern, Municipal Art Collection, Bologna, 5/2010

Bologna Airport - Town

by joeytravel

Hi

I am considering going to Bologna for about 3 nights maybe early December. Was going to book flights independantly and stay somewhere cheap for financial reasons. Can anyone tell me, how far is the airport to the city of Bologna and what is the best travel method from the airport to our hotel which is near to the centre of the city.

Also, is Bologna a good place to visit, is it expensive and is there much to see?

Thanks
Joe

by mccalpin

Bologna's airport (http://www.bologna-airport.it/?LN=UK) is just on the north side of town, only 6 kilometers away.

Look at http://www.bologna-airport.it/template/contenuto.asp?IDFolder=977&LN=UK for a description of how to get from the airport to the center by bus. Note that the bus goes to the train station in Bologna, which is on the northern edge of the city center (i.e., you can easily walk to the center from here).

Bologna has a great history, is a big university town, and is known as "La Grassa" (the Fat One) because of the emphasis on the quality of the regional cuisine. Although I've been there twice, neither time was I there for much time, so I didn't see the traditional tourist places. Bologna is very much known for its arcades, the covered walkways that run in front of many of the buildings in the center - a nice innovation...I wonder why more towns didn't do that...

Bill

by puerto_lover

There is a sort of travel planner on the airport web:

I have only been once to Bologna - it's a busy city and plenty to explore. One thing I would do is to find the best Spaghetti Bolognese in the place. I think it depends on the ingredients of the Bolognese sauce but most importantly the type of pasta used and the freshness of the ingredients. Should one use Tagliatelle and never Spaghetti ? This is the question that has been bothering me for many years.

by cgf

Would it be 'early december' likely from 4th till 8th?
if it's so you might be late for booking and any thing you'll find it uses to be much cheaper on other days.

by mccalpin

Joe, I just reread your note...will you tell us what hotel you're staying at? Or do you know? It's kind of hard to advise you how to get somewhere if we don't know exactly where it is ;-)

Bill

by puerto_lover

cgf - good point - Bologna Motor Show - http://www.motorshow.it/en/index.html

Travel Tips for Bologna

Art and architecture!

by jgemini65

I loved this provocative fountain! I have many wonderful memories of Bologna...despite the fact that my trip was only 24 hrs! Life is all in the moments...many things can be achieved in the shortest of time!

Sanctuary della Madonna di San Luca

by alza

One day, I just had to do something more exerting than people watching at Piazza Maggiore, between snacks and ice creams and expresso and my never-ending search for a W.C. A friend and I decided to go up the 300 meters that lead to the Sanctuary della Madonna di S.Luca, from Porta Saragozza. There are portici (covered arcades) everywhere in Bologna and I love them so this path of 3.6km of portici was a treat I couldn't resist.

On the bus to Porta Saragozza, we spoke to a Bolognese woman who told us that the people of Bologna all have a great affection for the 'Madonnina' -- this affectionate name they give the Madonna says a lot already :-) I think she is believed to have protected the city from harm in the past. This lady got out at our stop and showed us where to buy our picnic, before we started the climb. It's not a difficult one but the sun was very hot and I must say we huffed a bit before we reached the top.

The path is dotted by many small chapels, and votive plaques by Bolognese families. We met families along the way, going to the sanctuary to get away from the city noise, and a few joggers. One of them must have passed us three times, running up then back down, without ever flinching! The last time, my friend said "Look at that show-off again!" LOL

The Church didn't open at the appointed time so we just sat on stone benches around the belvedere and admired the sweeping view on the plain. My friend started a watercolour and I ate the picnic. There's nothing to do up there but relax but we had a nice quiet time and I got my exercise.

I think the pic was taken on the way up. You can see why Bologna is known as "The Red". This city has wonderful colours and lots of character. All this strenuous climb and descent (I always find it harder to come down...) made us so hungry that we broke the bank that night in a great trattoria in town.

Motorino

by alemir82

Fast, and cheap and easy to park, the motorino is the mode of transportation of choice for many Italians. A good second hand scooter can be purchased for around 500 euros. Hands down traveling by scooter is the quickest way to get around any city. If you ever order a pizza you'll notice that rain or shine it comes by a delivery guy on a scooter. If you're a purist like myself you'll choose a classic like the old Vespa Special. It as an air of elegance made famous in films like Roman Holiday. Plus chicks dig it

Excellent!!!

by Fra.da. about Caffè Zanarini

I had my graduation lunch at Caffè Zanarini. It is a very stylish bar near Piazza Maggiore. The ambience is very refined and elegant. The bar has two floors and, when the weather is fine (mainly at spring and summer), it offers also nice tables and umbrellas outside. This is not a restaurant but at lunch time a wide menu is offered. Prices are not too expensive, if you consider that this is one of the nicest places within Bologna, and the ambience is really tasteful. Food is of excellent quality and I suggest eating here, for a business or romantic lunch, or to spend a nice hour in Bologna. I had my graduation lunch here. I had 9 guests and I had a very nice private room on the second floor reserved for me. Every dish was simply excellent and tasty, and the staff was well trained and looked after us very carefully. We really enjoyed the time we spent at Zanarini!
Menu:
* homemade Crespelle with red radicchio (classic Italian pasta)
* mini sandwiches with tuna, salad, tomato, mozzarella cheese, ...
* selection of cheeses, pears and honey
* selection of Italian deli meats, freshly cut
* mini pizzas
* fried vegetables
* prosecco wine
* mineral water

The history of Bologna University's Medical School

by shiran_d

The foundation of the Medical School of the Bologna University was a rather longer lasting process. The beginning goes back to the year 1063. The title teacher appeared after the year 1170, while such a title could have been obtained by the church authorities since 1179. The city statutes for medicine date back to the year 1378.

Comments