Anna B&B

Via Orfeo 24, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, 40124, Italy
HostelBookers.com

More about Bologna

Basilica di San Domenico, Bologna, May 2010Basilica di San Domenico, Bologna, May 2010

Palazzo Bolognini, Bologna, May 2010Palazzo Bolognini, Bologna, May 2010

Torre Prendiparte, Bologna, May 2010Torre Prendiparte, Bologna, May 2010

Due Torri, Bologna, May 2010Due Torri, Bologna, May 2010

Renting a house-Northern Italy

by benvenuti

10 of us are planning a trip to Northern Italy and thought it would be fun and possibly more economical to rent a home while there rather than stay in hotels.
What is the possibility of this? Any information about where to look for one? At this point we are not certain where--maybe Bologna. We wanted to have a home base where we can take trips to Verona, Venice, Florence. Ideas?

by Beausoleil

We've rented places in Italy and loved it. We used http://www.holiday-rentals.com/World/r1.htm

They handle rentals in all sizes and price ranges. We've used them six or seven times and had no problems.

There is also http://www.2000villas.com/ although we've never used them; friend have and were satisfied.

by debmarst

My friends and I rented through Parker rentals before we left and were very satisfied. We were referred through other friends who'd gone through them years back. They have all price ranges although if you waited until you get there yo'd get MUCH cheaper, for a group, do it in advance through Parker. You'll be glad.

by hawkhead

You can also Google "self-catering accommodation Italy" "self-catering accommodation Bologna" "holiday rental italy" etc. and you will find a myriad of options. We have just rented self-catering accommodation (a flat) in Bologna but it's just for the two of us. However, in doing the research I came across lots of houses and big apartments to rent in the area. In fact, finding somewhere for two people was the problem! You are quite correct, renting a house/large apartment will be much chaper than going the htoel route. Our flat is working out at nearly 65% less than the price of a hotel within the same central Bologna area. I think the Bologna area would be a good choice as it has excellent transportaiton links.

Travel Tips for Bologna

When in Rome (or Bologna), do as the Romans do

by Bunsch

I must have led a charmed life up to this particular venture to Italy, because in all the other countries I visited, English was either one of the standard languages or, in the case of France, I spoke the ambient tongue. I suppose I expected that many, if not most, of the hoteliers and shop keepers and transport personnel in Italy would speak at least a modicum of English. I didn't invest in a phrase-book (although it turned out my companion had brought one along). What arrogance! I have only myself to blame for the multiple times when language barriers led to absurd or disappointing results. (It is hard to ask for directions when you can't articulate where you want to go -- and can't understand when someone tries to help out.)

Probably no one reading this tip would make such a foolish mistake, but just in case...either learn enough Italian to get by, or keep a phrase-book or English-Italian dictionary close at hand. I promise you'll have a more enjoyable visit.

(And as one VT'er says in a very funny motto which I will badly paraphrase, speaking English slowly and very loudly does NOT make it more comprehensible!)

German (Bavarian) Style Pub

by Gillianina about Birreria del Pratello

They have a lot of different types of beer, mostly German, (but also Belgian, Scottish and others) each served in its specific glass, and they also make german-like dishes like those with "bratwurst" (sausage), sauerkraut or potatoes. Anyway it's most of the time quite empty and not many young people go there.

Gate view

by darkjedi about Porta Saragozza

Specialities: pizza; spaghetti with seafood; tagliatelle with meat sauce; lasagne; tortellini Chip pizza! First time I have ever seen it on an Italian menu and of course I had to try it just to say it had been done. It was lovely.

Le Due Torri - The Two Towers

by sue_stone

One of the best things about Bologna (or should I say two of the best!) are Le Due Torri - the twin leaning towers. These two ancient towers are a symbol of the city, which used to be home to over 100 towers back in the 12th & 13th centuries. Today only two remain, and they look like they may fall down at any moment.

The tallest is called La Torre degli Asinelli. It is 98 metres high and was built in 1109, and these days has a 1.3 metre lean. You can climb to the top, via 498 steps - this is a tough climb! It is worth it though for the excellent views from the top.

The smaller tower is La Torre Garisenda, and it was built around the same time as its taller neighbour. It was originally around 77 metres, but due to dodgy foundations it really started to lean in the 13th century and they had to shorten it for safety reasons. Today the tower is around 48 metres, and has a 3.2 metre lean. This tower is closed to the public.

It costs around 3 euro the climb the tower.

Torre Garisenda and its...

by eurotravels

Torre Garisenda and its neighbour Torre degli Asinelli.
The Garisenda tower leans precariously. If you walk to the top of Torre degli Asinelli and look down it is hard to belief that the tower is not going to collapse at any moment. You get great views of the rest of the city. It is amazing how orange everything is.

Comments