Astoria Apartments

Via Fratelli Rosselli, 14, Bologna, 40121, Italy

More about Bologna

Caffè Opera e Tulipani, Bologna, May 2010Caffè Opera e Tulipani, Bologna, May 2010

Arco Meloncello, Bologna, May 2010Arco Meloncello, Bologna, May 2010

Palazzo della Mercanzia, Interior, Bologna, 5/2010Palazzo della Mercanzia, Interior, Bologna, 5/2010

San Petronio, Bologna’s Patron Saint, May 2010San Petronio, Bologna’s Patron Saint, May 2010

New Year in Bologna

by spacehopper

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what happens in Bologna at New Year. I have spent several New Year celebrations in Spain so know what to expect but wondered if Italy might be a bit quiet.

Thank you in advance.

Best wishes

Spacehopper

by domenicococozza

Bologna is far from quiet on New Years Eve. Firstly, wear red underwear. It is supposed to bring you luck in the new year. Then join the Fiera del Bue Grasso.
An ox is adorned in flowers and ribbons from head to foot and a procession then meandres its way through the streets ending in Piazza SanPetronio. There is a spectacular firework display. There is generally public music and dancing before the firework display. A lot of prosecco is also drunk

by Sjalen

Bookmark - I'm getting tempted :)

by spacehopper

Sounds fabulous. I'm off to buy some red pants.

Than you very much.

Best wishes

Spacehopper

Travel Tips for Bologna

Don't climb the Asinelli tower if you still study

by Fra.da.

The Asinelli tower is the tallest between the two famous towers of Bologna. You can climb it and it costs 3 €, the panorama is really awsome and it's worth doing.... but... students who study at Bologna University do not climb the Asinelli Tower until they get their degree. "Asino" in Italian means "donkey" in English, "asino" stands also for people who are not clever and who don't get good marks at school. So if you climb the Asinelli Tower it brings you bad luck and you become an "asino"!! ... I am still a law student at Bologna Alma Mater University, I would love to climb the Asinelli Tower but I won't until I finish my studies!
[Well, actually, I DID climb the tower once... I was 12 on my school trip! But I hope it doesn't matter.... :) ]

Update, Feb. 2007: I finally got my law degree!!! Yeah... :) But I haven't climbed the tower yet... maybe during my next visit to Bologna... When I do it, I'll post the pics!!! ....

Kinki

by alemir82 about Discos

This is one of the best nightclubs in Bologna and is popular with a younger crowd of locals and tourists alike. This is the place to go if your looking to party and dance all night long, while listening to all of the latest top dance hits. The location is amzing and the atmosphere fun and friendly.

Only a short walk from the centre and worth it!

by MarvintheMartian about Trattoria Della Santa

Bologna's cuisine centres around fresh hand-made egg pasta in all shapes and sizes, from long strands of tagliatelle, to wide flat sheets stuffed with any imaginable filling.
This trattoria was recommended by my guide book (a 1992 Let's Go guide) which says about the food:
"Pasta that would make your Italian fairy Godmother cry her heart out"
Well - that book is spot on!
The food from this small classy trattoria is just fantastic and I learnt the difference between Tortelloni (made with ricotta, spinach and herbs) and Tortellini (made with ground meat).
I ate outside but do be careful with bags and valuables - a lady 3 tables up from me had her bag stolen as she was eating. It seemed like an isolated incident and the lady was just very unlucky - so please don't let this put you off eating here!
If you arrive early you can witness the owners making the pasta. Inside the resturant there are plates of hand-made pasta just waiting for you to make your order! Tortelloni

game dishes

by marktynernyc about Del Cacciatore

Their specialty is game - a 10E taxi ride from Piazza Maggiore. The best antipasti carts my whole trip - everything was just a notch above in quality/flavor/tenderness. The wild boar had a touch too much clove. The grappa trolley has 150 bottles. This was my only dinner where I didn’t open my book once - I felt so relaxed and at ease. I recommend this place highly.

The Porticos (Portici)

by Gillianina

Bologna is also called the City of Porticos. There is no other city in the world with as many porticos as Bologna. The lenght of all of them is about 40 km. At first they will built in wood in the Middle Age, then were rebuilt in stone.
In the Middle Age living in Bologna had become dangerous because of medieval wars, and it was dangerous to live outside the city walls. So there was the need to enlarge the houses. This was done through the construction of upper floors which stood on porticos.

Comments