Via Falcone, 6/ 8, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, 40124, Italy

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Hotel Porta San Mamolo

Wonderful Experience at Hotel Porta San Mamolo

by TripAdvisor Member DameKane

We only stayed at this hotel one night on our recent trip in May. Bologna was a stopover as we continued north on the train. I did a lot of research for just the right hotel to make this one 1/2 day and 1 night in Bologna pleasant and something to remember.

Our room was spotless, lovely and the modern spacious bathroom was an added perk. Continental breakfast in the hotel was served in a windowed room decorated in light yellow and white. The food was plentiful and the staff kept refilling the table to keep the guests well-fed.

The grounds are beautifully kept ,and it is a quiet oasis in a city environment. The 10-minute walk to Piazza Maggiore was enjoyable because we were able to see almost all of the Centro Storico (Historic Center).

I would stay at Porta San Mamolo again, if I visit Bologna.

Wonderful stay in Bologna

by TripAdvisor Member bklynguy

We enjoyed our stay at this property located a short walk to the centre of Bologna, in a quiet neighborhood, with the staff you would expect at a fine established. Staff extremely helpful, free internet access and a GREAT breakfast buffet. Can't say anything negative about this hotel. We booked this hotel because of the reviews on Tripadvisor. Bologna is a beautiful city, and the Hotel Porta San Mamolo made it that more enjoyable. The restaurant at the end of the block was incredible -make sure and make reservations.

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jlv4387

The Hotel Porta San Mamolo is a great find! It is a small and charming hotel in a quiet neighborhood, yet only a 10-15 minute walk from the downtown area. We had a wonderful room with a balcony. The weather was mild while we were there and we were able to enjoy sitting out there at night. It overlooked the courtyard, where candles are lit everynight on the walk. The courtyard leads to the breakfast room, which is also very nice and so is the breakfast. Our hotel room was very clean and had plenty of room.
The staff went out of there way to be helpful and recommended restaurants and helped us with train schedules.
I would highly recommend this hotel and Bologna.
It is a very nice town with wonderful food and there are so many places to visit within an hour's train ride. We went to Florence and Ferrara. I would love to return to Bologna and stay at this hotel again.

Our expectations were high...We were not disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member dcdogmom

We went to Bologna during Thanksgiving. After reading so many great reviews we were expecting a nice stay and this hotel did not disappoint. As other shave said, it is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel to the center of the city. The walk was easy and we enjoyed it.

We had reserved a Jr Suite and our room was ready when we arrived at 10:30 am. The room was lovely with a huge bathroom and tub. Bed was queen sized and there was ample room for us to unpack.

The hotel has a charming courtyard. When we returned after dinner each night we found the pathway lit by candles. We had an olive tree outside of our room. It was lovely.

The real gem at this hotel is the staff. Irena, at the front desk, sent us to wonderful restaurants each night. Each was different but all had wonderful food and service. The staff was all very helpful and seemed to want us to have a good time in their city.

I would absolutely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone.

Lovely intro to Italy

by TripAdvisor Member I.Hanson

It's taken me a while to finally write this review, but that is no reflection on how much I enjoyed my stay! The Porta San Mamolo was the most fabulous place we stayed in Italy - peaceful, great breakfast (and lovely breakfast room), within short walking-distance of downtown, free Internet, some (limited) parking right outside the front door, and sweet, professional staff. For anyone needing wheelchair-accessibility (as I do), this is the place to stay in Bologna. Our room was small but not tiny, with retractable grab-bars in the bathroom and a fold-down shower chair mounted on the wall. Perfect. And the room was on the ground floor, so no elevators to worry about! The breakfast room even has an electric sliding-glass door, so it's easy to get in and out! When I rolled in the first night, they even called me by name without my having to introduce myself (Ms. Hanson?), which rarely happens, even though in my wheelchair I'm pretty easy to identify!

Bologna itself was a great first stop in Italy - laid-back, not overly touristy, a university town, amazing food at very reasonable prices. We spent 2 days/3 nights. The city is pretty wheelchair-accessible, with plenty of curb cuts that exist in part for the large numbers of motorcycles and bicycles around. I've heard that the summer is pretty deserted, and there's not much to see, but when we went (October), it was beautiful and we had plenty to keep us occupied, between museums, exploring the city and the university, and eating! The Archaelogical Museum is not to be missed, as well as the main piazza and the San Luca basilica (which actually has a wheelchair-accessible bathroom!). It was so nice to be in a "normal" city, where we didn't hear English everywhere we went!

I highly recommend both Bologna and the Porta San Mamolo!

Lovely, charming and original.

by TripAdvisor Member Stella18

Beautifully appointed and maintained courtyard hotel full of Italian charm. Great location on edge of old town so a gentle stroll to the sights/ restaurants. We were in a fairly basic room as we were arriving late & intended to be out & about seeing stunning Bologna but it didn't disappoint. The courtyard/ gardens are lovely. Staff were great except for night porter on arrival who lacked charm....must have had a bad day! Little tricky to find as it is in a rat run of old roads and don't rely on the hotel map from the website....the one way indicators were usually wrong! Go Italain and dive up a one way the wrong way or the hotel will constantly illude you!

very nice

by TripAdvisor Member roadgard

We recently stayed just one night at San Mamolo, but we will definitely plan to return. The hotel was perfectly clean, quiet, and comfortable. There was a restaurant just a few steps away, La Sangiovese, that we thought was wonderfrul. We paid 135 euro.

What a fabulous hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DMandHE

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel with 9 of my family and I can honestly say that it was one of the nicest hotels we have ever been to.
The hotel is a true oasis of tranquility and efficiency where you feel immediately at home. It consists of a series of buildings around a central courtyard full of beautiful plants and flowers. The rooms vary from comfortable to luxurious with lovely ensuite bathrooms and many with balconies or windows overlooking the courtyard. The staff couldn't do enough to help - they all spoke excellent English and were happy to provide me with advice and information via email right up to our stay, including providings maps, recommending and booking restaurants and advice on sightseeing and transport.
The breakfasts were delicious - a choice of fresh pastries and breads, Italian hams and salamis with cheese, scrambled eggs and bacon, fresh fruit and fruit juice and freshly brewed coffee or tea. The staff were also happy to serve tea or coffee in the courtyard throughout the day. The only downside was the lack of bar, however we were directed to a fabulous bar, AB Bistro, just around the corner which was a combination of patisserie/cafe/wine-bar. With every drink, you were served a huge plate of delicacies such as foccacia with salami or mini pizzas for free.
I am sure you will enjoy your stay here as much as we did.

Terrific

by TripAdvisor Member penylan

Following on from the excellent reviews on this website, I booked the Porta San Mamolo for 2 nights in June for a business trip and I was not disappointed. It is terrific. Clean, intimate, well equipped, helpful staff, excellent breakfast and all of this in a central yet traffic free environment. Easily one of the best hotels I have stayed in in Italy over many years of travelling there. Highly recommended.

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member eoleavitt

We stayed at Porta San Mamolo for one night while working our way toward Milan. It was a beautiful, well-kept hotel. Kind of hard to find, but thank goodness for Google Maps. The location, however, was convenient, given its proximity to the sights of the old city. The desk manager provided us an excellent restaurant recommendation. The room was very clean and inviting. The courtyard was beautiful and the breakfast in the morning was excellent. A great experience, especially for the price.

Comments