Via Marco Emilio Lepido, 215, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, 40132, Italy
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

More about Bologna

Hercules at Bologna University, May 2010Hercules at Bologna University, May 2010

Santuario della Beata Vergine di San Luca, BolognaSantuario della Beata Vergine di San Luca, Bologna

San Martino: Interior; Bologna, May 2010San Martino: Interior; Bologna, May 2010

Basilica di San Petronio, Bologna, May 2010Basilica di San Petronio, Bologna, May 2010

Fun things in Bologna

by leila12

I will be traveling by myself on Fri, May 2nd through Bologna. Does anyone have any recommendations for what to do with a free day in Bologna? I am a foodie, so I will definitely be checking out the cuisine, but what else is essential? Also, what is there to do in Bologna on a Friday night? (Because I will be alone, I would like to stay in a safer area of town.) Are there any places where I can meet some fun natives? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

by NorCal08

I recommend Tratorria Annamaria for lunch or dinner. Offering excellent regional cuisine it is located at Via Delle Belle Arti, 17/A, and isn't far from the city center (maybe a 10 minute walk). As for night life, well...it is a University town. If you stroll down Via Zamboni away from the Due Torre, you will begin to see wall posters for all kinds of events within the City, typically with a youthful bent. You can also hang out at Piazza Maggiore, where everyone congregates, day or night.

by hawkhead

When we stayed in Bologna (for three weeks) we were advised by the local from whom we were renting the flat not to go into the via Zamboni area at night. For things to do during the day, you could get the bus up to the church on top of the hill (I am sorry, the name completely escapes me!) and then walk down through the arcades. Or you could walk around Bologna itself, which has some fascinating streets and buildings. There are a lot of museums, etc. The art gallery is worth a visit. It all depends on what your interests are. Check out my Bologna pages.

by erabler

San Luca is the name of the hilltop church.

by hawkhead

That's right, so it is! I could only think of San Cecilia and knew that wasn't correct!!

by NorCal08

Having just returned from two weeks in Bologna myself, I have to disagree with the comment about Via Zamboni at night. Never once did I encounter a problem or issue beyond a rambunctious, albeit drunken group of college students. It's fine.

by hawkhead

As I said, we were told by a local not to venture into the area at night. Didn't particularly attract us anyway!!

by leila12

Thanks everyone for your replies!!!

by ludogatto

i agree with NorCAl...via Zamboni can be dengerouse cause is the university center and there are some pusher that stay there to seel smoke, but here is all time a Police car in front of teatro Comunale in Piazza Verdi...I have 43 years and friday night I was at the end of Via Zamboni to listen to a rock concert fo a friends of mine....I had more fear in some big stations!

Travel Tips for Bologna

PLan your day well because the...

by telsoar

PLan your day well because the sights you want to see may be spread out all over town and the opning hours vary greatly. We spent time over morning breakfast planning each day carefully. The daytripping was exquisite. Ravenna's mosiacs are phenomenal (see pic) Also visit Dante's grave. Definitely try to go to the opera. clothing is fairly casual and we got tickets for the same night that day at the opera house ticket office. Cheap and beautiful and dramatic. The opera house itself is stunning. We were in a box seat on the first floor, center.

Shopping in Via Indipendenza

by Azhut about CAMAIEU

Camaieu is the name of a women's clothes chaine of shops. The philosophy behind these chaine of shops is to sell clotes for girls from 15 to 35 years old. The quality is not at the top but prices are cheap, so sometimes it can be a chance to change often your way to wear.

The rail network is very good...

by eurotravels

The rail network is very good from Bologna and this would allow you to travel to lots of different places if you base yourself here for a week or so. The nicest place that we went to was Bolzano. It was a bit too far for a day trip, but we liked it so much that we went back there for 10 days.

Bologna cuisine

by ludogatto about Trattoia Tony

The quality odf the food is perfect, the right bolongese plate, made like my granmother did...the restaurant have is old/home atmosphere, but the weiters are right, they speak english.
During the summer u can eat outside, in the winter is better to have a reservation! Passatelli ( special Emilia buillon) - great!
Tortellini In brodo e alla panna
Bollito misto - (to make the bouillon we boil some good meat and after we serve it with green souce
Cotechino with purè ( pork sausage boild)
Zampone
Cream Caramel ( bolognese type)
Zuppa Inglese

Piazza Maggiore

by MM212

Bologna's main square, Piazza Maggiore, is both its geographic centre and its cultural and political heart. The spacious piazza began to take on its current shape in the 13th century, and soon afterwards, it found itself encircled by the city's most important edifices. For the first time visitor, standing in the middle of la Piazza, as it is referred to locally, and gazing at the impressive architecture surrounding it could be an overwhelming experience. On one side is the enormous, albeit unfinished Basilica di San Petronio, and on the other three sides are monumental public palaces: Palazzo d'Accursio, Palazzo del Podestà, and Palazzo dei Banchi. The impressive Piazza Maggiore is connected to another square, Piazza del Nettuno, which is marked by the famous statue of Neptune.

Comments