Rossini Hotel

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

More about Bologna

Bologna’s CanalsBologna’s Canals

Portici di San Luca, Bologna, May 2010Portici di San Luca, Bologna, May 2010

Italian Resistance Memorial, Bologna, May 2010Italian Resistance Memorial, Bologna, May 2010

Basilica di San Petronio, Bologna, May 2010Basilica di San Petronio, Bologna, May 2010

Via Mascarella, Bologna

by bertoli11

Hi, I,m looking for somewhere to stay in Bologna in January 08. I've found an apartment in Via Mascarella - is this a good area to stay in. The apartment sounds ok. I'm a bit nervous as last time we stayed in Bologna I booked an awful place and we cut short our stay. Thanks for your advice. ciao bertoli

by mccalpin

I don't have exact experience there, but we stayed in a hotel about 600-800 meters west of Via Mascarella (i.e., about 200 meters south of the train station) several years ago.

I was with my wife and mother-in-law (in her 70s), and we felt no problems about walking from this area to the city center (down Via dell'Indipendenza or Via Galliera, as I recall) even at night. The area is within the inner ring road, so there are likely to be people on the street until the wee hours.

So, while I can't say anything about the street itself, it is not a too long a walk to get around...

Bill

Thanks Bill
We'll go with Via Mascarella. The apartment looks really good and it is good to know that walking is an easy option. We like walking everywhere but as it will be winter when we're there I don't want to have to walk too far in case it's raining. I'm looking forward to staying in Bologna.
ciao bertoli

by mccalpin

Well, Bologna is famous for its arcades...that is, the second story on many buildings extends over the sidewalk for the first story, which means that for a lot of stretches, as you walk along the storefronts, you are walking under cover. There are certainly such along the two streets I mentioned as you walk into the center...

Bill

by bertoli11

Great news. I'm really looking forward to exploring Bologna this time - and eating lots of delicious food. thanks for your help.
ciao bertoli

Travel Tips for Bologna

Bologna is probably the most...

by xaver

Bologna is probably the most important italian university city, so wander around Zamboni street and Belle arti street to meet a very intensive student life.
Everywhere there are messages of people looking for a place to sleep or people looking for someone to share their room with

Godot Wine Bar
Riff Raff Sud...

by alexae

Godot Wine Bar
Riff Raff Sud Wine Bar
Well, to eat in Bologna is quite hard: that is, you can everywhere, but to eat well it's expensive. And to eat cheap there is few places (avoid fast foods and similar, please).
The best is to try a salad in some wine bar - a good choice is Godot Wine Bar, it's a nice place with good wine in the centre. Another good wine bar is Riff Raff Sud Wine Bar.
I suggest to drink a glass of wine from the blackboard, or from the weekly list.
You don't like wine? Hmmm, forget my page :) Bologna is a student and business town - you can dress everything from wild punk to armani, avoid to be too chic, it would be inappropriate in most places... :)

Via Clavature

by Mundus about Buying fresh produce

Why go to a restaurant when you can do it yourself? If you decided to do it yourself, a visit to Via Clavature's stores will put you in the right mood to attack the kitchen.

The narrow street is just off Piazza Maggiore. It is full of little stores were you can find almost anything you need to make your kitchen creation.

Anna Maria

by anne_h about Anna Maria

I think this place is quite well known; it was in 2 of the guidebooks I brought with me, and the walls were covered with photos and autographs of famous grateful patrons (none of whom I recognized). Anna Maria is a tiny, energetic woman who makes the pasta herself. I had tortellini (of course, everyone at the meeting now knows I am the tortellini lady), friggione, which is tomatoes and onions stewed until they're very sweet, and fegato (liver). Also some really amazing lemon gelato for dessert. Wish I was there now.

San Petronio - Exterior

by Willettsworld

Dedicated to the city's 5th century bishop, this church, which is, at present, the fifth biggest building in the Catholic world, ranks among the greatest of Italy's brick-built medieval buildings. Founded in 1390, it was originally intended to be larger than St Peter's in Rome, but its size was sclaed down when the church authorities diverted funds to the nearby Palazzo Archiginnasio. The resulting financial shortfall left the church decidedly lopsided, with a row of columns on its eastern flank that were intended to support an additional internal aisle.

Open: Daily 7:30am-1pm and 2-6:30pm (until 6pm Oct-Mar)

Comments