Hotel Touring Ferrara

Expedia.com Travelocity Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Elainehead's Profile Photo

Outdated but great value

I booked this 3-star hotel almost 5 months in advance, so I had a good deal. At first, I was a little bit concerned because the rate was around 43,20€... while another hotel (a four-star one) was 109€. We didn't spot the hotel right away, so we had to go around the block until we finally saw it (despite having a GPS...).

We arrived around the check-in time at 2 PM and managed to find a parking space almost in front of the hotel. We were relived with the hotel first impressions...it looked good and it was less than 5 minutes away from Piazza Castello (Estense Castle). The receptionist provided us a parking ticket (3€), asked us to fill in and sign a paper with our car information. Our room wasn't ready yet, so we waited in the lobby. As she didn't know when the room would be ready, we decided to leave our luggage with them and go out to have lunch. Apparently they had no proper luggage storage, so we left it on a corner across the reception desk...

When we came back, our room was finally available. I don't recall the number but it was on the third floor on the front of the hotel (there was a park in front of it, so it was calm). It felt like travelling back in time when stepping inside the room. I regret not taking any photos because our room didn't look anything like the ones on the picture. The decoration was very 70's/80's but the room was clean. It was equipped with a mini-fridge (with 2 complimentary small mineral water bottles) and A/C (a must during the summer in Ferrara!). The TV was not a flat screen one but had a few international channels (BBC, CNN and some German channel). The bathroom was huge and since it was during summer, it was very hot inside! We couldn't open the bathroom window because it faced another room's window, so no privacy... The wi-fi was down for almost 4 days and when we checked-out, it hadn't been fixed yet...

Our rate included the breakfast, which was a great surprise. The breakfast area was modern compared to our room. It had a good choice but I thought it lacked salty stuff (I would have prefered more bread choices, but since it was complimentary...). For those with a sweet tooth, you'll certainly enjoy it (sweet rolls, pies, etc).

The windows aren't double-glazed, so I was a little bit annoyed with the thunders noise during the night but other than that, we weren't annoyed by our "neighbours", except around 8 AM when the cleaning staff started moving around furniture not gracefully...which woke us up.

We would definitely stay again at this hotel.

Unique Quality: Location, clean, great rates

More about Ferrara

Palio di San Giorgio, Victors, Ferrara, May 2010Palio di San Giorgio, Victors, Ferrara, May 2010

Palio di San Giorgio, Horse Doc, Ferrara, 05/2010Palio di San Giorgio, Horse Doc, Ferrara, 05/2010

Palio di San Giorgio, Girls’ Race, Ferrara, 5/2010Palio di San Giorgio, Girls’ Race, Ferrara, 5/2010

Palio di San Giorgio, Cavalieri, Ferrara, May 2010Palio di San Giorgio, Cavalieri, Ferrara, May 2010

Music

by latinlady

Hello all,

Are there in Ferrara good places like restaurants with live music? pubs with live music? like Blues, Jazz, pop music? Please let me know some

Thanks

Latinlady

Re: Music

by bekerovka

I know only this: http://www.jazzclubferrara.com/
Nice place, good foods & drinks and great music!!!
Sorry, the site is in italian only...
Next concerts in this page : http://www.jazzclubferrara.com/programma.html

Re: Music

by latinlady

Thanks a lot !

Cheers,

Latinlady

Travel Tips for Ferrara

Porto Paula

by iandsmith

I parked my car quite close to this portal and, had there been no barricades, jackhammers and dusty workmen, might have taken a picture of the whole entrance! As it was, this will have to suffice though it does manage to show some of the finer points of the portal.

It's not all castles

by iandsmith

Time out in the park. I seem to remember going there to use the public toilets but being disappointed as they were closed (yes, another closure) for repair. Still, it was a nice part otherwise. Yep, there was just the lion, me and Cesare Battisti. I next wrote (Trento 12 VII 1916). I assume that inscription was at the base of the sculpture. Perhaps a gift from the good people of Trento?

The Theatre

by croisbeauty

The City Theatre was built between1786 and 1792 by the architect Antonio Fuschini, commissioned by Cardinal Francesco Carafa. It has four levels of boxes and a gallery above the stalls.
Prestigious orchestra from all over the world take part in the annual Ferrara Musica event.

Church of San Giorgio

by rubbersoul75

This church, located outside the city center to the south east across the river, dates back to the 10th century. Dedicated to the cities patron saint, it was Ferrara’s city cathedral until the 12th century. The facade has large relief of Saint George Slaying the Dragon. A look inside reveals some beautiful frescos by Francesco Ferrari and some other works of art by notable artists.

The church also has a Monetary and the beautiful cloisters are worth a visit if open.

We caught the end of a wedding on our trip (2nd photo)

Pasticcio di Maccheroni

by ludogatto

This is not a restaurant, but a wonderfull dishes u have to taste in the local restaurant.

Pasticcio di maccheroni is Ferrara's most typical first course, a real speciality, at once sweet and salty.
It's a first course but it's really a complete meal dishes
It is elaborate to prepare and when ready to bring to the table should have its distinctive priest's hat shape.
the tradition want to be eated the Mardì Gras of Carnival, but now u cna find it in little shape in the best patisserie too.
The true pasticcio is made with sweet 'pasta frolla', like a short bread dough, filled with a special meat ragù, with mushroom and bechamel...cooked in owen....u can fell the little melange of sweet and salted.

Comments